Why is it usually called a sandwich when the meat is chicken instead of a burger?

Ever wonder that? You put all the other ingredients that you would in a burger like lettuce tomatos cheese, but if it's a chicken patty instead of beef it's called a sandwich and not a burger.

*imitating seinfelds voice* Whats the deal with that? O. o

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• That's... actually a good question.

Maybe because the burger isn't made of chicken so a "chicken burger" would be misleading?

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Quite a few places call it a burger still.

But I'm going to guess it's because prepped associate burger with beef, so sand which is just used to differentiate it... for the people who can't read the word chicken in the description.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• Maybe because a chicken burger doesn't sound right like a hamburger does or cheese burger

0|1
    0|0
  • I've always called that a chicken burger... that's what they are on the menus around here.

0|1
    0|0
  • you are so wrong... the place at my work... chicken burgers

0|1
    0|0
  • I say it depends on if the meat is ground up or not, I made chicken burgers before

0|1
    0|0
  • a sandwich

0|1
    0|0
  • Burgers are a type of sandwich

1|1
    0|0
    • When you're calling it a burger you're just calling it by what's in the sandwich

• Are you high?

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• That's just an American thing. In Australia we only call it a burger if it's on a burger bun. Everything else is a sandwich.

All the way to the nonsensical point that if you put a hamburger patty between two slices of normal bread, it's called a hamburger sandwich.

0|1
    0|0
  • For the same reasons normal people continue to pronounce gif with a g instead of a j. Because language is more about convenience, not about correctness.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because a burger is a type of sandwhich but it is known for the meat, it is named for the meat. The true name would actually be a hamburger sandwhich. But burger rolls of the tongue easier.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've always called it a chicken burger but yeah I've noticed that some places got in on the menu as chicken sandwich

0|1
    0|0
  • I am not sure.

0|1
    0|0
  • I often use the term hamburger sandwich.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol maybe they figure it's easier to distinguish

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes