Do you like your mom's home cooking?

My mom is visiting... and she spends hours a day cooking. So, not much eating out while she's here. When I was a kid I hated my moms cooking... the only Asian in a white majority town I just wanted to fit in. Bento boxes of pickled veggies, tonkatsu, dried fish and white rice wasn't the way to do that. Now, I look forward to her cooking. Today, pork, vermicelli, mushroom stuffed bittermelon and dried mushroom soup with sugar snap pea, green onion and pork fried rice
How bout your mom? Do you like your mom's home cooking?
What do ya think of my post lunch pre dinner snack? Careful, imma show mom everything you say!

Luv ya mom!
Updates:
Honestly, no one on earth likes bittermelon. But, that shit is good for your skin. So eat your bittermelon folks!

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• That sounds pretty good to me or at least I will try it once. I haven't had bittermellon before but I am intrigued. Is it more like melon/cantaloupe or more like watermelon?

I love most of my mom's cooking. Most of it is really good. The only reason I generally don't like it is if I don't like the food generally (like potatoes). There is one exception I dislike when she uses the Crock-Pot. I totally get why she may use it, but in my opinion she is bad with it and my brother agrees with me. She makes a lot of good food, but not with that.

0|0
    0|0
    • Bittermelon is like a large pepper in looks, tastes like ass. But its good for your skin.

• Show All
    • Like the name... its bitter... if you've ever tasted aspirin... yeah

• I really haven't. So it's an aquired taste for sure haha.

Most Helpful Girl

• She has her dishes but I didn't grow up eating them regularly. My stepdad didn't like them and he liked to cook plus they both worked too much to cook when I was older.

My grandmothers cooking can't be replaced. It takes all day with few ingredients and fresh from her garden and power packed with spice and flavor.

The thing of t is she didn't teach any of her kids how to cook her way. I think it was a control issue like you'll love me for my food. Or maybe they just couldn't. I watched her over the past 10 years and learned how to make her simple signature dish.

She passed a couple of years ago so I'm really glad I know how to make it as it makes me feel like she is here.

0|0
    0|0
    • I always talk about my lack of cooking skills, there are a clue that I've learned... a Malay style pork belly adobo and a shrimp and pork fried egg roll... which is really good but shut tons of work... so I only do that like once a year in the winter... when its nice and cool. Both I learned from mom in the last few years

• Ffs.
      . a few that I've learned from mom

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• I don't. It was my aunt who got the cooking skills in her family lol. My mum ran restaurants and hotels so no time to really cook for us. She brought home food ... on the plus side it meant we ate like kings with chefs from various places cooking our dinner. We also had a very varied diet compared to most Asians.

Hence my food snobbery and cooking interest 😁 (My uni job in a kitchen was down to her).

0|0
    0|0
  • My mom's cooking isn't so great now, because she's dead.

0|1
    0|0
  • To be honest, that picture DOES NOT look appetizing at all 😅. For me, my mother's looking is lackluster to say the least. Honestly, she can get even the simplest foods you'd buy precooked at the grocery store very wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just like you I'm so fortunate to have a mom who cooks like the best :D
    This looks delicious and based on your question, I'm convinced it did taste like heaven :D

0|0
    0|0
    • Ohh no, bittermelon is awful...

• Show All
    • Ohh mom knows how I feel but I eat it anyway cuz its good for the skin. My guy however pretends he likes it.

• Haha yeah it would be embarrassing for him to show in any way what it really tastes like :o

• since my seperation with wife six years back I m living with my 81 year widow mom only and she still cooks for me dinner at night 7 days a week My mom is fantastic

0|0
    0|0
  • I really enjoy my mother's cooking especially her Black bean beef and rice. So basic but always so good !

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it's pretty good. she cooks the best creamed corn i've ever had

1|0
    0|0
  • First of all, I never had bittermelon. Gotta try it out to see what the fuss is about. :-P

My mom's cooking is the best! She does more than typical soul food and standard American fare (like casseroles) that a black American household usually does.

We had Hispanic live-in housekeepers when I was young, so she was taught how to make authentic Mexican food! She can also dabble in some Italian as well. Her alfredo sauce is the fucking greatest i've ever tasted, I don't even order it at restaurants anymore lol.

So growing up I have a very balanced palette of food. :-D

0|0
    0|0
  • Give it to me! I will eat it! Looks really good. Can I add chili sauce?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yours looks delicious... my mothers cooking was terrible

0|0
    0|0
  • Lets just say when I get older, Im hiring my private chef

0|0
    0|0
  • I learned to cook from my mother and her cooking is top tier.

0|0
    0|0
  • I use to love it. That food doesn't do it for me. Put. Big streak and yum

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really. She's an OK cook.

0|0
    0|0
  • Better than any resturant.

0|0
    0|0
  • she's good at it

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have another choice jk, I like it

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing beats mother's cooking

0|0
    0|0
  • Not very much

0|0
    0|0
  • My mom never cooked so I had to learn

0|0
    0|0
  • Mom the best cook

0|0
    0|0
  • She eats salads

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 18

• Haha my mum makes bittermelon soup. Though she stuffs it with pork (or chicken mince) and hundreds of herbs!

I love my mums' cooking. I learnt from the best :D

Pork fried rice huh? No pineapples I see 😬👍🏽

0|0
    0|0
    • Bittermelon is an Asian thing... tell me how many times you've been lectured on how wonderful it is for skin even though it tastes like ass.

• Show All
    • I was just telling Pizza dog that I always peel the bittermelon off and eat it first, then I eat the stuffing and mushrooms. If I don't eat the bittermelon my mom will have a seizure so I gotta do it.

• I mean you have to end up eating it somehow 😂

• I do enjoy my moms food. I believe everything made with love and flavor is always good. Tell mom i said hi :-) :-)

0|0
    0|0
  • Aww that's so lovely she cooks for you! What an awesome Mama!

Mine doesn't really cook, she has a few things she's great at like banana cake, glazing a ham and savoury mince but that's all.
    I mostly cook for her, and take meals she can reheat a few times a week or she'll eat cake for dinner

0|0
    0|0
    • She cooks constantly... like I swear shell be in the kitchen half a day.. and she makes my guy eat constantly... she's the only person he'll go along with even if he doesn't want to. Be refuses to tell her no. So when she's here he eats constantly whether he likes it or not. Its kinda cute really.

• Show All
    • To never say no lol

• Lol! I still haven't figured that out yet either so let me know your secret when you do

• it's meh...

her food is bland overall. she never puts enough spice in anything. although she does make a good chicken adobo and beef broth. granted the women in her family were never cookers. neither she or my grandma knew how to cook. they're expertise rather was sewing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have a mom but my dad cooks every weekend and he is really good at it. Last Sunday he made a lasagna and it seriously was the best one I have ever eaten.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the time. She makes a few dishes that I don't like simply because they contain ingredients that I don't like.

0|0
    0|0
  • My mom's cooking was never good and still isn't it but I appreciate it when she does make food.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do. My mom is the QUEEN of extra when it comes to food.

0|0
    0|0
  • I hate bittermelon. Whenever people make it i drown it in hot sauce.

0|0
    0|0
    • What I do, cut it off the pork n mushrooms, eat the bittermelon first, and then eat everything else... but deep down, the Asian in you knows this is great for your skin

• Show All
    • Yh... i make it grandma style tho so its missing a bunch of the ingredients that other people use... like star anise and stuff.

• But she makes it with love. But it's good... the skin and fat are melty and the meat is super tender.

• Looks good.
    Honestly, my dad is the one in charge of cooking food.
    My mom makes desserts.

0|0
    0|0
  • My mother baked, not cooked. My dad cooked.

When she did cook, it was hours for nothing special. She made chicken and cheese pie once - in our house this is basically cheesy mash with chicken mixed in and baked. Have a guess how long it took? Got an answer? Yup? Yeah well no. FOUR HOURS.
    Sadly for a house with 5 kids (and because of her OCD we had to bathe daily) it was just too long to wait for food.

My dad did the cooking and he's the bomb. Sadly he doesn't cook much anymore, I do it all due to his amputation. But he taught me and I cook very like him.

0|0
    0|0
  • My mum is a terrible cook. My dad's way better.
    I tend to be the cook in my house.

0|0
    0|0
  • My mom isn't the best cook but I always appreciate the effort and enjoy it very much

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol looks good
    My mum doesn't cool it s the maid and it s fine

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it has an amazing and unique taste to it

0|0
    0|0
  • No I like my grandmas better

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course! My mom makes the best food.

0|0
    0|0
  • God, I am so jealous of your school lunches. I had smelly mortadella if anything, until I started making my own.

Her cooking though, I love. I can't make sugo the way she does. I don't know how she does it. I do all the same things with all the same ingredients and it turns out so differently.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes