Would you sit alone and eat in a restaurant?

• Yes i already have
    63%(189)69%(562)Vote72%(373)
  • No never
    11%(32)10%(83)Vote10%(51)
  • Depends where
    26%(77)21%(172)Vote18%(95)
Select a gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Am a rich young bachelor, it is a lifestyle for me. And life is God, you, and then certain people. So you are happy inside and out without people's company. God Almighty is your permanent companion.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Like no way would I go to Jamie Oliver's or even a normal restaurant. However I have sat in an ice cream place and gotten stared at because of it. If it was a a breakfast place I've done that before and fast food places then yeah I wouldn't give a damn.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 122

• What? Why the hell would anyone who is not severely mentally handicapped NOT eat alone in a restaurant? I used to travel for work and do it all the time.

3|3
    0|0
    • Yeah it's normal I like it, but I know some that find it weird and wouldn't do it

• I don't understand why.

Though I do get pissed when I get up to go to the bathroom and come back to find they cleared the table because they thought I was done.

• Well looking at the people that said they hate it, looks like they're afraid of being judged

• Yes i would and i have done this numerous times.

I personally do not understand why this should be a problem. This is so new to me. If people find it hard to involve in similar places alone, because of the concept of being lonely and not having a partner. I believe this comes from inner insecurities that makes the person to feel lonely and unwanted and similar feelings. And this needs to be improved. Nowadays many people have desperate emotions toward having a partner. It's becoming a priority and that is not healthy. We should practice to be on our own and live life for our goals not as soon as we born we look for someone to stick with. The obsession is what makes it unhealthy.

Good Luck.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I've done it many times during business trips. I don't know why people think that it's weird or awkward because people do that all the time. Plus, most people there won't notice that you're alone because they're too busy with their own shit. If a person is uncomfortable going to eat out alone, they can always sit at the bar so it looks less awkward.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah exactly , I see many people do it. I never used to like it but recently I've started to enjoy it, probably prefer it then eating infront of people lol

• Yeah. Lol. I think most people who are afraid of going out alone are afraid of being judged. It's a carryover effect rooted in wanting to belong to a group when people were in high school.

• What else would you do if you were sitting alone in a restaurant?

0|0
    1|0
  • I have, when I was traveling for work.
    But it's not nice indeed, I would always prefer to have a friend, collegue or family member on the other side of the table. Talking to or looking at the walls is not comfortable :-(

1|0
    0|0
  • I've done it thousands of times. I bring a book with me. It's total "me time".

I just wish servers would realize that it's OK to say something while I'm reading.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes i already have. I am going to subway tomorrow since I have night classes too and don't want to go back home then go back during night and waste gas money. So I need money to eat and there is a Subway close to my college. I am there to eat, study, and do my assignments not to socialize or give a shit about being alone at a restaurant or not.

0|0
    1|1
  • I travel a lot, and that leads to the necessity to eat out by myself. I found it awkward at first, but after a while I got used to it. I still prefer to sit at the bar if I can.

0|1
    0|0
  • All the time, it's a nice break from the missus ๐Ÿ˜‚ But, loads of folks go and have lunch/dinner after work alone.

Would I intentionally pre book in advance? No unless the restaurant was something special... even then I'd rather take a mate at least to share the experience.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I like eating alone.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't remember the last time I sat with someone else in a restaurant. I usually bring a book.

1|1
    0|0
  • Perfect scenario:
    Rainy day
    Somewhere in Europe (Probably France)
    Cool music with soft tunes playing and you sitting near the window
    Order a creamy milk coffee and cake and take out a newspaper to read and feel the environment

0|1
    0|0
  • i've only done 2 maybe three times so yes i have and yes i would consider it in the future

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's too expensive, takes too long, and the food isn't so great. The only reason I find to go to restaurantscis for big social events, or to impress your friends with your wallet.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I want to then I can. I see people do that all the time, nothing new or unusual to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dude, that's what Hungry House and Just Eat are for. So you can eat food from various restaurants without having to go there.

Simples...

0|0
    1|0
  • no, since most people point and laugh. and don't eat their food. i've done it plenty of times, i don't care.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yeah, all the time, but i usually eat at the open bar so that i'm approachable, unless i want to be alone for some reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah i've done it. I was pretending to be somewhere else at the time & just trying to kill time & eat good mexican food as I did it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I do it fairly often, I have a 24-hour diner near me and I like to go there and get a little work done while I eat.

0|0
    0|0
  • Have and will in the future. If I want food from a particular place merely not having another person readily available isn't a reason for me not to go lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell yeah. Sometimes I enjoy the peace of eating alone but at the same time being around other human beings. It's the same motivation for going to the cinema alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure I have before, in fact when I lived at my old house I get'd up every morning jog down to the local diner (our little hole in the wall) buy a paper, sit down and have a nice relaxing breakfast.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I'm not accompanied by anyone yes. I think it would be weird to ask to sit with a random person๐Ÿ˜†.

0|0
    0|0
  • if its a place like a small coffee place and im just stopping to get coffee and a donut, sure. but other than that I dont want to eat alone

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I've done this many times already since I don't have anyone to go with unfortunately and would like to get a nice meal still at times

0|0
    0|0
  • why not?

0|0
    1|0
  • I do this all the time but mostly because I have no other choice or no one to eat with

0|0
    0|0
  • I rather go midway, I get the stuff to go. Sitting alone in a restaurant makes me feel even more lonely than sitting alone at home, since every couple I'd see would remind me of what I don't have.

2|0
    0|0
  • Not a fancy restaurant maybe Burger King or McDonald's and Wendy's Taco Bell that's about it

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 61

• I have done this numerous times. It isn't a big deal to me at all. I have also gone to the movies solo as well as shopping and other events. I have no issue with being alone and going places.

1|2
    0|0
  • It's not actually at all uncomfortable. People aren't nearly as interested in what you do as you think they ought to be. Bring a book if you think you're going to be bored.

2|1
    0|0
  • I really enjoy it! Coffee and breakfast, lubch with a beer, or treat myseof to a nice dinner with a glass of wine :)

2|1
    0|0
  • why the hell not?

2|1
    0|0
  • I have did it multiple times, since I have such few friends and I cannot always find my family members available, (they are usually busy) At first I was too shy to do that, but now I got use to it, really. Loneliness at its peak.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yup. I've eaten alone at a restaurant before. My was way out of my comfort zone the first time, but after seeing that it wasn't so bad I try to go at least once a month.

1|1
    0|0
  • I kind of prefer it sometimes. I like being around other people but I tend to eat soo slow lol. Luckily, most people aren't too bothered by my pace but it's embarrassing sometimes. I have a small mouth so a big bite for me is like 3/4s of some other peoples regular bite. A regular bite is like a half a half most people's bite.

0|1
    0|0
  • What is wrong with sitting alone and eating in a restaurant or cafeteria or anywhere?

I went to many concerts alone, equally music festivals and camped with people I never met, I went to cafes to study or just to sit do nothing sip my coffee, I went on vacations alone, visited historical places alone where every tourist around was with family or friends or bfs.

What is wrong with it?

0|0
    1|0
  • There were times I would if I do not want to bother anyone.

Ofcourse there is a difference when dining alone than with others or someone.

But it was good to be able to experience dining in both circumstances, alone or with others

Although I would prefer dining with others better

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course, and I do it once at week in an Italian restaurant here called Saizeriya. The food there is so yummy and about the same as food court prices. Plus this restaurant is very clean and air-conditioned, and no service and tax charges and I get free drinking water from the restaurant too :-)

0|0
    0|0
  • Already have. It's something everyone should try at least once. It's sort of like going to the movies alone.

0|0
    1|0
  • Reasons I eat at a restaurant alone people don't want to hangout with me cause I'm "psychotic" and "strange" and I don't want to hangout with people cause there assholes.

1|0
    0|0
  • I totally enjoy taking myself out to lunch :) its nice to treat your self and just be alone with your thoughts from time to time

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep, I have done it. Being by myself shouldn't mean that I don't get to enjoy good food.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah? Nbd

0|1
    0|0
  • I would feel weird tbh. Well, I guess it depends on where. If it was like a nice sit-down dinner, then I would definitely feel strange.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i have! I would be on my phone or reading a book or magazine

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes many times, I also traveled, went to bars, clubs, etc... alone. I think it's the best way to meet people actually. No one looked at me like a was a weirdo or something.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've done it! no shame.

1|1
    0|0
  • Most of the time I do it but just because I dont have Friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I would rather eat at home or starve then go out to a restaurant by myself and feel judged for being alone. I don't like going out in public alone, I need to have friends or family with me. No, I don't have a boyfriend so if I want to meet a guy it's not going to be me sitting in a resturant full of people with their friends while I'm all alone and looking horrible. I'd feel like I'd come across as a loner fatass if I did that. I just don't feel comfortable being alone in public places, I feel left out and isolated when I'm alone in a group of people.

0|0
    0|0
    • You worry way too much about what people think. Be yourself and don't let others thoughts influence you. Life is much more simple and pleasurable that way

• Show All
    • @zagor Yeah, I guess I have a symptom of social anxiety which makes me not like being alone in public because I feel uncomfortable and judged. I'm a people person so being alone in a group of people makes me feel like I don't belong or like I'm not wanted there. I don't think I actually have anxiety or any mental problems though, I thought it was normal to only like being in public with friends or family.

• No, it is not. I have traveled all over the world by myself, and have met a lot of interesting people that way. I've shared condos on ski trips where I didn't know anyone before the trip. I have been to concerts and festivals by myself at times. Why would you feel not wanted in a public place? It's not like you walked into someone's living room and sat down amongst their family.

• Yes, it doesn't matter if ur alone or not as long u enjoy the food. That all matter to me

0|1
    0|0
  • I like eating at home.. in front of t. v. or laptop.. if I go out.. I usually have company

0|1
    0|0
  • Lunch breaks

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely, because of my job I usually do that. Not big deal.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, because if I'm hungry I'm hungry.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's awkward enough even when I am with other people

0|1
    0|0
  • Many many many many times, being in the military knocks that fear out of u.

1|1
    0|0
  • I do that often and like it.

0|0
    0|0
  • All the time. I'm there for the food not for approval

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls