Should certain food products be banned from schools if students have allergies?

When I was in Primary/Elementary school they banned peanut butter completely because a few kids had allergies to it. With this premise in mind do you think its fair or reasonable for the school to ban certain foods or should the kids be responsible for managing their allergy?

your thoughts on this?
detailed and thorough replies are appreciated
please note, im taking about HOME-MADE LUNCHES being brought to school, not stuff prepared at school cafeteria.

2327

Most Helpful Girl

• At primary schools I think it's fair for severe allergies.
    Children should still be responsible, taught not to share food, wash their hands after everything and to carry an epi pen but at that age accidents happen. Kids are all playing, have grubby hands and very little idea of personal space.
    All it takes is being partnered up with a kid who had peanut butter at lunch for something to smear across and anaphylaxis is sudden. Why risk it? Should one kids right to peanut butter in a 6 hour window override another kids right to life?

High school is different, they're more conscious of how cross contamination can occur and can choose to be in other areas if they know someone in particular brings things they're allergic to so I think more leeway would be appropriate

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that's still the protocol today. It makes sense. It wouldn't be fair if Timmy couldn't have peanut butter, but everyone else could because he's allergic to it. Might as well NOT bring in anything if one or two kids can't also have it. Bring in something EVERYONE can have.