Your definition?

What is your definition of someone who is an alcoholic? Is it the amount they drink or the frequency?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• i'd say the way that they drink...
    Does it interfere with your life in a negative way?
    Does it interfere with the relationship you have with loved ones?
    Does it interfere with your job/school?
    These questions are more important in my opinion than how much or often. There are people out there that don't drink every day but cause a lot of damage to their lives and the relationships of the people around them when they do. I don't think there is an actual line that says you are an alcoholic. It's more of a personal diagnosis

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• Alcoholism is a state of mind. Consumption of alcohol is only a means to get there. Hence the frequency or quantity don't matter. What matters is the intent

0|0
    0|0
  • The frequency along with the amount. Drinking a six pack a day... Thats maybe on the line. Anything more and I'd say it's abit of a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's if they can walk away from it and never think about it. Some will quit even for a year but they think about it and court the days down till they can drink. They think "well I quit for a year so I'm not an alcoholic" that isn't true. Alcoholism is a two part illness. It's an allergy of the body which explains why they take one drink and they can't stop. The first drink starts an allergic reaction. The second part is it's an obsession of the mind. This is harder. Alcoholics always think about it. It's an obsession. They plan their drinking. Non alcoholics don't. The amount and frequency aren't factors. If you plan your drinking, if you drink to a blackout you're an alcoholic. Not all alcoholics drink to blackouts however. Non alcoholics can't blackout because they stop way before that. They actually don't like the drunk feeling. Alcoholics love the drunk feeling. Hope this helps

0|0
    0|0
  • For me an alcoholic is just the insult i use to peerpresure them to drink less

0|0
    0|0
  • Frequency. But most important in my opinion is how much they mindlessly crave for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I lived with one literally. Dude drinked everyday and got drunk everyday. Smh.

0|0
    0|0
  • Self destructing species... both amount and frequency counts...

0|0
    0|0
  • I m not drinker at all, so I not aware of this situation

0|0
    0|0
  • Drunk dude.

0|0
    0|0
  • I define it with a daily consume

0|0
    0|0
  • both

0|0
    0|0
  • Its about what they do after drinking...

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be both...

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Social situation: If they're drinking by themselves, it's a red flag
    Amount: If they are drinking to get DRUNK frequently, as opposed to a lesser buzz, red flag.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think frequency would determine what an alcoholic is for me cause if there's a frequent pattern then you're addicted but if you drink a lot once in a blue moon type then too me you're not really considered an alcohol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Frequency

0|0
    0|0
  • frequency for sure

0|0
    0|0
  • It is both

0|0
    0|0
  • Getting drunk...