What are some healthy and flavourful recipes without garlic?

So my mother just found out that she has a garlic and onion intolerance. Given that we are Italian and Chinese, we have absolutely no idea how to cook without garlic or onions.

She also doesn't like curry apart from Jamaican jerk sauce.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Updates:
Salt and pepper add no flavour. They are the very base seasonings. Please. Suggest something that is not plain white people food.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Make the usual without garlic and onion. Perhaps tomato based foods. If she likes healthy perhaps go for some Arab food get some grilled meat with some bread.

0|0
    0|0
    • But how is it going to taste of anything without garlic or onions?

• Show All
    • Also what kind of monster makes pasta of any kind without garlic?

• Lol, I understand your dilemma but your mum is intolerant, everything will be tasteless.

I'd say Google some recipes online. I would look for ways to be initiative, use other ingredients as a replacement to onion and garlic. Be inventive, try something you wouldn't. Sushi, salads, noodles etc... cooking is a great way of expressing yourself. I look at it like art.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• it's not as hard as you might think. There are more ways to build flavorinto your current dishes for example apart from garlic and onions. There are many whole grains (quinoa, spelt, barley) that are actually quite nutty and flavorful on their own, without spices or savory additions, especially when they are toasted before you cook them.. Oh Also, look for Jain recipes, which usually do not call for onions or garlic (although they sometimes do call for spices, but that won't be a problem i think. so you'll have to adapt). Look for simple, elemental French and Italian recipes that are built out of just a few whole foods: Poached tender chicken in broth with a salad and brown rice, good pasta tossed with a few vegetables, or a baked dish of potatoes and chicken broth. otherwise keep your eyes open for IBS-friendly recipes, as these will probably be very suited to your mom.
    I could give you a lot of recipies, but i think google could help you more. unless you want to have some of mine of course.. i know all about cooking for people thag have 'special needs' :-) good luck!

1|0
    0|0
    • Boiled chicken? Gross.

• Well don't shoot it down untill you've tried it hahaha! Judging from your question you'll both starve otherwise :( haha! But it's just a suggestion. You'll allways have soup mm chicken vegtable soup. Some baked bread, a nice assortment of preadables (you can both eat). those can be very nice meals.

• I did my masters where haute cuisine was boiled, unseasoned chicken with boiled, unseasoned vegetables. I would never subject my mother to that kind of torture. I don't understand how white people can eat like this. It's like they hate their mouths.

• Jamaican Jerk sauce is classified are curry?

I guess you would have to eliminate garlic and onions from the foods you already make. It would lack a bit of flavor but I don't think there are any other substitutes.

2|0
    0|0
  • NOTHING!! Garlic Rules The Landddd!!! #GarlicEnthusiast #VampsBeware #Hisssss (😂)

0|0
    1|0
  • Buy some sauce at the super without garlic.
    Salt is good enough for me, plain for you lol but hey cilantro, onions and spicy sauces are other options. Try different things with her and see what she likes.

0|0
    0|0
    • Spicy sauces often have garlic in them, even the ones made for white people.

• Show All
    • But not my mother, whom actually has the intolerance.

• Yea I know, not her. I hope she gets better and finds some good recipes she can eat and enjoy

• Moo goo gai pan for Chinese and fettuccini Alfredo for Italian. Roasted chicken, steak and mashed or baked potatoes, chicken soup, venison steak and vegetables. The list goes on FOREVER!

0|0
    0|0
    • That's all boring white people food though.

• Hey, I am a boring white guy. And if you’ve never had a venison tenderloin with sautéed bell peppers, home fried potatoes and a nice Cabernet Sauvignon, well, your tastebuds haven’t lived.

• Given that she hates the way game tastes, I doubt that would ever be an option. How do you make the veggie sauté taste like anything without garlic?

• Maybe you could find something good here.

http://www.taste.com.au/

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh my God! I'd die if I couldn't put those in! I look forward to seeing the answers!

0|1
    0|0
  • I make a salsa using cilantro , stewed tomatoes , jalapeños , pineapple , corn and

0|0
    0|0
  • Chives are a good substitute for onions, but as for garlic I cannot offer any help

0|0
    0|0
  • you can't have true flavour without garlic

0|0
    1|0
  • Without garlic? I'm not sure there are any

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 8

• Just use the same recipes, but eliminate garlic. I actually started eliminating garlic recently and after a bit you really don't miss it. Unless you're eating something like garlic butter, you probably won't notice it

0|0
    1|0
  • Get a pan and put some balsamic vinegar in it, then Bring it to a simmer, add chicken and cook until chicken is cooked thoroughly.

Serve with home made potatoes seasoned with smoked paprika, salt, pepper and parsley.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are tonnnnnnssss of stuff sweetheart add butter and other seasoning avoid garlic add everything if you add butter and salt it adds flavor adobo is also a great season I use for my grandpa he can't have it either I use other things.

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually cook with almost no garlic! Onions yes but still recipes out there that can be adapted.

Eg my spin on spaghetti bolegenese (I know, it's not really... my brother can't eat onion or garlic and my partner doesn't like onion). Mince (fried), sliced mushrooms, tomato purée, chopped tomatoes (or pasatta if you prefer) and let simmer. If you like herbs you can add something :) you can add some red wine to add some depth and some cream for a smooth texture. Serve with pasta (obviously).

Chinese is harder to avoid onions and it's family sadly but it can be done. Things like lemon chicken with egg fried rice has no onion but a lot of sugar...

0|0
    0|0
    • That's not Chinese food my dear. That is some weird American idea of what Chinese food is.

But thanks.

• Show All
    • I believe that peppers are okay. We did another test with elephant garlic, which is not technically real garlic, and no reaction. It's a weird thing man.

Chow mein is authentic, and pineapple sauce is, too, but a lot of the deep fried "Chinese" food is Westernized.

• English sweet and sour is with chunks of chicken breast. Takeaways are different. But the supermarkets are a bit closer.

Okay. Chinese involves a lot of veg and bean sprouts and such so if you can have the family of onions you probably won't notice much difference

• Margarita chicken might be good. You get the frozen margarita mix in the frozen juice section in the can or just any mix you can find I guess. Use half of the can to marinate some chicken in it could be anything boneless like the breast or tenders. Use the rest of the juice to combine it with brown sugar as sweet as you want it in a little sauce pan. Take the marinated chicken and grill it or just cook it in the pan on the stove, season with salt and pepper bc the sauce is really what make it taste like something. Pair it with some kind of rice. I use this caribbean rice made by zattarans. Its really good and healthy for the most part

0|0
    0|0
  • Use salt, pepper, or herbs as spices...

1|0
    1|0
  • Garlic shrimp

0|0
    2|0
  • Subsituate with onions overlaps

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes