Do you consider cooking/baking a scientific process?

I know I do simply because there's so many elements that could go wrong such as over whisking etc... Many of us don't even consider the chemistry involved in baking a cake or reducing a sauce, but every texture is the result of molecules interacting.
  • It is scientific
    Vote A
  • It's an art
    Vote B
  • It's both
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Both for sure cooking/baking is irreversibly changing the form of multiple pieces of food to form a tastier whole through heat exposure and introduction of new elements. The art part comes into play when it's time for you to display your culinary scientific prowess for those who are about to eat it

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• Cooking is basically chemistry. It's possible to make grilled cheese flavoured cotton candy. You can make apply juice taste like orange juice. Cryofrying is a scientific method of cooking with liquid nitrogen that apparently creates the best tasting steaks and burgers (through the Mayard reaction. If I spelt that right. It's basically a reaction in meats that makes them taste better the more the reaction occurs in the meat when it is cooking).

Though cooking is also technically an art. An art technically satisfies one or more of the five senses. In the culinary arts, you can make food that looks good, smells good and tastes good. So it is also an art.

The important thing to look at is that art is subjective. So something that I think looks, smells and tastes good may look, smell and taste disgusting to someone else (and vice versa). Science though isn't subjective, it's based off of fact, mathematics, and proof. Though to be honest I don't think most people look at the science (chemistry) involved in baking cakes or making things taste good. Though I guess I just wanted to point out that food science is a thing,

1|0
    0|0
  • Voted both because it is scientific when it involves how much you need of each ingredient and how much time you have to let it sit in the over for and it is art by trying to make it look neat not sloppy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much every process or things can be looked at a scientific perspective but it doesn't mean it is one just because there is mere measuring and mixing involved that so happens to involve molecules interacting just like everything else. Especially the aim of it isn't scientific unless of course you really are doing a scientific experiment to investigate a hypothesis or theory of something

1|0
    0|0
  • I disagree with cooking/baking being considered science or art unless you're a highly skilled chef. Many if not everything that we do follow the same pattern. For example is it science to drive to work everyday you have multiple elements that could go wrong and molecules are always interacting even as i text.

1|0
    0|0
  • I voted both. There's definitely science to it because you need the ingredients in particular quantities and they need to go in at a specific order but its also an art because cooking requires a particular feel to it that comes from years of practice. Even if you follow the instructions you can still fuck it up as I know all too well πŸ˜–

1|0
    0|0
  • Ohhhh the art of trolling.

You'll get there one day

1|0
    1|1
    • For the record. It was a joke. Called banter in the uk.

Secondly, if it offended you that much to block straight... well, I'm sorryπŸ˜•. Live long and prosper ✌🏾

• You're just weird and the fact that you have two accounts proves that

• Since its science (and not social science) our consideration does not matter and what matters is that if it is actually scientific process or not.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes ofcourse. Everything in this world is due to chemical process. Even attraction between men and women is also a chemical process!!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Cooking is experimentation which is part of the scientific method, but baking is way more calculated. And in the end its art maybe.

1|0
    0|0
  • You should have to go to college for 4 years and get a matters in culinary sciences before you're allowed to create menu items

1|0
    0|0
  • Its scientific.. the art part is what you choose the make the variables..

1|0
    0|0
  • I am a firm believer that science and art and pretty much two sides of the same coin.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes its both Science and art but for We Indians it's always an art..

1|0
    0|0
  • I would think it's both lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Its an art, but chefs like Heston Blumenthal have made it a science !!

0|0
    0|0
  • Science? Yes. Chexmistry? No.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's both

1|0
    0|0
  • Both.

1|0
    0|0
  • X amount of this + a y
    component of that, you get the final product.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• It's neither for me. It's just a necessity, a chore I need to do to stay alive. It's not science for me, because I just mindlessly put stuff together, neither is it art, because I don't express myself through my shitty cookings.

1|0
    0|0
  • Baking yes, because of the chemical and biological reactions that cause leavening. Cooking, no. You just throw stuff together and eat it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I just see it as "Need to cook to satisfy hunger."
    "But need to make it delicious to create some harmony" lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Both

1|0
    0|0
  • I have always found cooking & baking to be easy.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. It's just measuring

0|0
    0|0
  • Scientific for sure

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes