Tipping. Earned or expected?

Tipping. Earned or expected?What are your thoughts on tipping. I see lots of people complaining if they don't get a tip. By law they are required to get at least minimum wage at the end of the pay period. If they make at least minimum wage in tips or less, the boss has to pay them minimum wage. If they make more in tips than minimum wage then they get a lower hourly rate. However the money is sliced, they still will always make at least minimum wage or more. What do you think?
  • Earned
  • Expected

53

Most Helpful Girl

• Basically the tipping system is a way for employers to have customers pay their employees. With this they weasle out of paying them. Unless you aren't hitting minimum wage every night, the chances of the employer paying you the difference is almost zero. It's really a shitty system bc you are kind of obligated to pay for someone else's employees so if no one tipped they don't get paid.

However, there are cases where I will tip lower like lazy server etc. I wouldn't feel right completely stiffing just bc of service. The only way I would ever straight up not tip is if the server was blatantly rude and disrespectful.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, most countries don't have 'tipping' as a thing, it's just a way for places to pay their employees less. - And I mean, we kinda have to tip decent workers because they need that to make a living. But really, the employers are in the wrong.