Tipping. Earned or expected?

Tipping. Earned or expected?What are your thoughts on tipping. I see lots of people complaining if they don't get a tip. By law they are required to get at least minimum wage at the end of the pay period. If they make at least minimum wage in tips or less, the boss has to pay them minimum wage. If they make more in tips than minimum wage then they get a lower hourly rate. However the money is sliced, they still will always make at least minimum wage or more. What do you think?
  • Earned
    Vote A
  • Expected
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Basically the tipping system is a way for employers to have customers pay their employees. With this they weasle out of paying them. Unless you aren't hitting minimum wage every night, the chances of the employer paying you the difference is almost zero. It's really a shitty system bc you are kind of obligated to pay for someone else's employees so if no one tipped they don't get paid.

However, there are cases where I will tip lower like lazy server etc. I wouldn't feel right completely stiffing just bc of service. The only way I would ever straight up not tip is if the server was blatantly rude and disrespectful.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, most countries don't have 'tipping' as a thing, it's just a way for places to pay their employees less. - And I mean, we kinda have to tip decent workers because they need that to make a living. But really, the employers are in the wrong.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• Wow, that's messed up. An even bigger reason to tip generously for the sake of minimum wage workers; because minimum wage is not a living wage. The original point of minimum wage was it was meant to be enough to support a family of 4 on one person's income. Minimum wage currently is not enough to support one person let alone a nuclear family as was envisioned when the policy was introduced. It desperately needs to be raised, but until then the least you can do is tip well if you're able.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it's something in between. Tipping is customary where I live, and servers rely on tips to make their living, so I generally expect to tip. However, I'll adjust the amount based on the quality of service I receive. If I receive truly terrible service, then I will tip less than the normal amount. If I receive amazing service, I will tip extra.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeahh, you shouldn't have to tip someone who gave really shitty customer service.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is earned

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• I don't agree with that cost being transferred to the customer
    In every other business they're employees are paid a certain amount
    Pay the employees more like anywhere else

Unless their gross margins are low which for a resto I think it is... so that might be a reason why it's transferred to the consumer

But if not that... tip is nonsense lol... should be extra not mandatory...

0|1
    0|0
    • If employers decide to pay their workers more instead of expecting tips, then food prices will go up. Those costs will transfer to the customer one way or another.

• I rather have the employers pay them minimum wage even if the food prices go up.

• In the US, you essentially have to tip. Waitresses aren't paid enough otherwise

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes