Why do we lose our appetite after seeing something gross?

I want to know the scientific explanation on why humans lose the appetite after seeing something gross. #Appetite #LosingAppetite
Why do we lose our appetite after seeing something gross?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• When you see something gross, your brain subconsciously believes that there are germs on the environment from that gross thing. So you lose your appetite so that you don't eat at all for a while just so that you don't fall sick.

This is also why people vomit when they see others vomit. Your brain gets a signal that the food you've eaten must have contained something that is harmful and you need to get it out. It's called positive feedback. Our bio teacher gave us a very detailed lecture on this topic.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• Watched super size me and totally lost the appetite for McDonald's food.
    I don't know but for me... it was because I felt disgusted of how the body reacted after eating all that unhealthy food. That dude was so close to dying and that made me switch to some kind of defense mode. I know the effects occoured because he ate that for every meal for almost 4 weeks and too much of something is never good but still, it made me very disgusted and since then I've tried to avoid it.

0|1
    0|0
  • To make a short story long:
    We are naturally inclined to have a distaste for gross things such as poop since it could be harmful if we came near it (diseases). So, if the thought of something that spread disease stayed in our mind before consuming a meal, we would not want to eat.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's evolutionarily advantageous to avoid/not eat disease causing things.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't. If I'm hungry, I'm gonna eat regardless 😂

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

Recommended myTakes