Before you go out to clubs/bars, do you have pre-drinks (get drunk with friends before you leave)? Or is it only a British/European thing?

I was talking to an American friend and I told them I was at pre-drinks, which is where you meet up with your friends to drink before you go out to parties/bars/clubs to drink. They said they had never heard of it and found the idea of drinking before you go to a party/bar/club weird, is it just them or is pre-drinking not an American thing?

Here in England we do it before every night out, you get drunk before leaving for the town.
  • Yes, I pre-drink everytime
  • No, I've never pre-drank
  • I've heard of it but don't do it
    Vote C

1211

Most Helpful Girl

• In germany many people do it. It's called 'vorglühen'

Most Helpful Guy

• Every American has heard of it. It's called college. It doesn't happen so much into your 30's but if any American has told you they have never done this... they are lying. It's normal.

• College? Like university when you're 18?

• Yes, university when you're 18 to 21 or so.

• Okay, fair enough, we just start drinking here earlier I guess haha. And in England we call 16-18 college which is when most people will be binge drinking, normally start around 14-16