Before you go out to clubs/bars, do you have pre-drinks (get drunk with friends before you leave)? Or is it only a British/European thing?

I was talking to an American friend and I told them I was at pre-drinks, which is where you meet up with your friends to drink before you go out to parties/bars/clubs to drink. They said they had never heard of it and found the idea of drinking before you go to a party/bar/club weird, is it just them or is pre-drinking not an American thing?

Here in England we do it before every night out, you get drunk before leaving for the town.
  • Yes, I pre-drink everytime
    Vote A
  • No, I've never pre-drank
    Vote B
  • I've heard of it but don't do it
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• In germany many people do it. It's called 'vorglühen'

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Every American has heard of it. It's called college. It doesn't happen so much into your 30's but if any American has told you they have never done this... they are lying. It's normal.

0|1
    0|0
    • College? Like university when you're 18?

• Yes, university when you're 18 to 21 or so.

• Okay, fair enough, we just start drinking here earlier I guess haha. And in England we call 16-18 college which is when most people will be binge drinking, normally start around 14-16

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• I don't think those Americans drink at all. Pre-Gaming is such a thing worldwide.

0|2
    0|0
  • I went to a college party before and yeah some of the girls were saying how they wanna get
    "so fucked up" before they go to the party.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh no we definitely pregame here in Canada too. It saves you money at the bar.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, in college, but nobody seems to do that anymore.

0|0
    0|0
    • Not even if you're going out to a bar/club?

How bout if you're going out for a meal? My dads 50 and if he's going out for a meal with friends they always meet up at our first and have some wine before going out, just socially

• Well I'm sure some people do it, but not me or my friends. I would get too drunk if I drank at home and then more at the bar.

• Okay, that's fair enough, but can one be too drunk? Haha :P

• Yep that’s common in South America too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't go out and get drunk.

0|0
    0|0
    • You should try it, it's fun, makes me way more confident in myself and helps me talk to more people :)

• Show All
    • Yeah, doesn't really sound like my idea of fun. I'll stick to being sober.

• That's fair enough, each to their own :) It wasn't my idea of fun either till i was around 17

• In Australia we always do it!

0|0
    0|0
  • i have never heard of or done so

0|0
    0|0
  • No l don't

0|0
    0|0
  • In the US we call it "pre-gaming". Yeah, it's a thing, especially in cities that have good public transportation. It saves money on expensive cocktails.

I don't do it because I am a sober alcoholic for, well, longer than you have been around. ;)

1|1
    0|0
  • When I used to have a good job no, I didn’t pregame but now that I don’t have a well paying job, I do pregame

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• Many Americans do this. Who can afford to pay those high prices for every drink

0|1
    0|0
    • I thought so, unleas drinks were cheap in American like your petrol is (petrol = gasoline, what you put in cars)

• I'd have to be preset drunk to drink petrol, but yeah it is cheaper than beer

• With £10 for a beer here in Norway its a way of saving money

0|1
    0|0
  • Not every time, but I’ve definitely done it. I’m too cheap to get drunk on bar price drinks.

0|1
    0|0
  • In India we call it pre booze. Saves money. So yeah we do it.

0|1
    0|0
  • What kind of idiots dont do pre drinks?
    Oh right, 'muricans.
    Jk, 😁.

Everyone knows that drinks at the clubs are gonna be f*cking expensive, even the regular ones. And if you get what you came for ( a lady) you may have to spend one or two drinks for her as well. So, it only makes sense if you do the main drinking to get you in the mood, with your buddies at one of your places, with some affordable vodka, whiskey or whatever you all bought together. Then you got a decent buzz going , for the club, in a nice party mood, then at the club you can decide if you wanna get any more hammered, or of you wanna buy a drink for a girl, or whatever.

0|0
    0|0
  • 50% of times, but just a little, but not get DRUNK

0|1
    0|0
    • Oh okay, we say that if you have to have more than around 2-3 drinks out, then your pre game is weak

• Show All
    • Well yeah could be overcrowded. :D

• Not really to be honest, they're just old people who complain about everything :P

• In America, we call it "Pre-gaming."

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a clever way to save tons of money

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah that's why we do it here, a pint of beer costs around £4 which is roughly $5

• A lot of people do that here in the US... I guess that's why is annoying to go to some nightclubs here... a lot of drunk people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Drinks are expensive. Pre-game always.

0|1
    0|0
    • In the city I live in, a double vodka lemonade is £7 which is $9.16, it's ridiculous

• Prolly about the same here. Cheers!

Recommended myTakes