What is your personal opinion of alcoholics?

What is your personal opinion of alcoholics?I lived with one for years. Dude was weak minded and had no self determination and will power.

I understand everyone has problems and stress in their lives, but drinking daily like a junkie is so disgusting, weak and pathetic.

I can understand and sympathise with women dealing with alcohol, drugs and addictions because she is a woman and are weaker than men in all areas, but for a man to be a alcoholic is unacceptable and weak.

Share your thoughts.

169

Most Helpful Girl

• Firstly, you do not understand how addiction works in humans and animals. Social scientists have concluded that addiction is caused by one living in undesirable circumstances, poverty, abuse, isolation, not the actual substance. The Rat Park experiment showed this in the 1970s when a rat who was exposed to cocaine became addicted if isolated and neglected, but if the rat was allowed to socialise and live in quintessentially "rat heaven" they had no interest in the drug. This is shown in real life with most Vietnam vets who used heroin whilst fighting did not return with the addiction, if one is happy within their lives, drug addiction will not be an issue. So no, he drinks because his life is unbearable, may, or may not be his fault, but it's not something we should condemn, but try to fix their lives from the bottom up. It's sad, but addiction is a symptom of a greater problem. Secondly, what's with the hate against women? Considering their are more male alcoholics I really think that blew your theory. Plus women do live longer, they are stronger than men at you, know surviving.

• I love women a ton. It's a fact men are biologically are stronger than women are in all areas. Women is the weaker vessel God created. I'm not trying to say women are weak, but rather men are generally much stronger than women.

• you ignored, you know the actual important part of the response. Secondly, yes men are biologically stronger in some aspects, but don't get the idea that that is everything. Women have always been the manipulators of the social environment, which for humans, is in many ways more important than physical strength. Addiction also has nothing to do with physical strength and men are more inclined to addiction, so in that way, men are weaker than women. You also fail to understand that women usually have a better tolerance for pain, and yes are built to survive. Plus i'm not religious so don't use the "GOD" argument.

Most Helpful Guy

• My girlfriend used to have a bit of a problem with alcohol. I helped her overcome it, and now she rarely drinks. However, I supported her and wanted to help because she was going through some tough times. In many cases, addiction is caused by hardships in life. People use alcohol as a coping mechanism, and it becomes his/her only source of relief after a while. To a certain degree, it can be viewed as "weak and pathetic". However, people have reasons for being addicted and we should help them break their vicious cycle.