You just got terrible service at a restaurant, how are you tipping (USA)?

Let's say, despite a half empty restaurant, you and your guests had to wait a ridiculously long time for a table. Then you were all seated near the bathroom, and unprovoked by you or your guests, your waiter was incredibly rude, then the food was cold and one person didn't even get their drink. How are you tipping (USA)?
  • I'm not. Tipping, in my opinion is for great, good, or at worst, mediocre service
  • I'm leaving a penny or a dollar to show my distaste of the horrible service
  • I'd tip 10%
    Vote C
  • I'd tip 15%
    Vote D
  • I'd still tip 20% or more
    Vote E

311

Most Helpful Guy

• I know it's not going to be popular to say, but I will still give a great tip. Sometimes you have to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Some people are really stress or tired. It doesn't excuse their conduct, but they need the money and I know that so I will still leave a generous tip. 😊

• I get people can have a bad day--I definitely know at 2/3$ an hour, they need tips, but to just assume a waiter has a horrible life or is having a bad day or is tired, AND tip because of that... makes no sense. It's different if you had a convo with them asking why the service was so poor, and they told you this, but otherwise you may be helping insure that they serve others poorly or that they actually make less money because other people, due to their poor service, may not want to be so generous... how does that help them earn a living wage?

• I'll do my part to help. If other people don't tip them well then that's no longer my problem.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd talk to the manager since the problem is pervasive