You just got terrible service at a restaurant, how are you tipping (USA)?

You just got terrible service at a restaurant, how are you tipping (USA)?
Let's say, despite a half empty restaurant, you and your guests had to wait a ridiculously long time for a table. Then you were all seated near the bathroom, and unprovoked by you or your guests, your waiter was incredibly rude, then the food was cold and one person didn't even get their drink. How are you tipping (USA)?
  • I'm not. Tipping, in my opinion is for great, good, or at worst, mediocre service
    Vote A
  • I'm leaving a penny or a dollar to show my distaste of the horrible service
    Vote B
  • I'd tip 10%
    Vote C
  • I'd tip 15%
    Vote D
  • I'd still tip 20% or more
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I know it's not going to be popular to say, but I will still give a great tip. Sometimes you have to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Some people are really stress or tired. It doesn't excuse their conduct, but they need the money and I know that so I will still leave a generous tip. 😊

0|0
    0|0
    • I get people can have a bad day--I definitely know at 2/3$ an hour, they need tips, but to just assume a waiter has a horrible life or is having a bad day or is tired, AND tip because of that... makes no sense. It's different if you had a convo with them asking why the service was so poor, and they told you this, but otherwise you may be helping insure that they serve others poorly or that they actually make less money because other people, due to their poor service, may not want to be so generous... how does that help them earn a living wage?

• I'll do my part to help. If other people don't tip them well then that's no longer my problem.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd talk to the manager since the problem is pervasive

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• I'd still tip the waiter, at a dramatically lower rate, unless it's a ridiculously hot woman, then probably tip over 20%, and leave her a snarky remark on the receipt like "Your service was not up to par, but call me when you're off your period." (Actually, I've never done that, but the thought has crossed my mind! Did leave a large tip though, and my number :P)

0|0
    0|0
  • If you tip nothing they don't get the hint that the service sucked. They think you just didn't tip. Put a dollar bill down or a penny or whatever. It sends the messege.

Although for the service you described I wouldn't even pay the bill lol this would call for a manager

0|1
    0|0
  • Leave 25¢ if paying by credit card. That easy when the manager tips them out at the end of the day he knows the waiter fuc up. Leaving zero and he will just assume the tip was in cash. 25¢ is a sign to the manager that service was horrible. Of course if everything was as bad as above i would have asked to talk to the manager before i paid.

0|0
    0|0
    • In most restaurants these days the server will print out an "end of day close report" which Just shows the total that the manager owes to the server. (Yes if he looks near the bottom of the nearly 2 and a half foot long receipt it will give details about tips) but I've worked in restaurants for 10 years and I've NEVER had a manager look at the individual tips. They just count your money, hand it to you and then you leave the office.

If it's truly bad service and you want the manager to know, speaking to a manager will almost always go farther.

• Show All
    • Oh. Houston has toooooooo many highways for me

• And traffic. Yikes

• I would still tip 25% if it was the first time, maybe the waiter was having a bad day. And I can't really penalize him for being seated in a bad spot since he really doesn't have anything to do with that.

0|0
    0|0
  • If the server is bad no tip if it's the kitchens fault but the server is good I tip the server

1|0
    0|0
  • You tell em keep it up and you ain't getting those 5$ you need to live

0|0
    0|1
  • Not tipping and not paying for meal. Probably just get up and walk out

0|0
    0|0
  • no tip

0|0
    0|1
  • You still tip, def. that's how they make a living, but, I might cut it in half. Usually I double the tax, so, I'd likely give her the tax

0|0
    0|0
    • Okay, from your perspective, please explain this one to me, b/c I've always wanted to know why some people feel that no action should be taken. In what other job, do you pay for crap service? Most servers are only making 2/3$ and hour because, yes, they survive on tips, however, they are also there to do a job, and a huge part of that AND why they will generally get bigger tips from people IS if they do their job really well. By giving a tip for bad service, does this not ensure that next time, if you or someone else get's that waiter, they'll get the same, and poor tips/no tips, meaning how does that actually help them make a living?

• Obviously, your money, do what you want with it, but I just don't get that or the people that just take pity and assume the waiters lives must somehow be horrible so they deserve a tip for incredibly bad service.

• If they see that I'm not giving them that much, they likely know they did a poor job

• Three pennies in a triangle wear I live that's code for you fucker up

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 2

• . A tip is meant for good service. Lousy service deserves no tip

0|0
    0|0
  • Not tipping

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes