Are we harming ourselves by trying to eat better?

Suddenly people started worrying about what they eat and how to find the path to a healthier life, we can almost say it became an obsession. We saw the rise of new diets, new foods, food intolerances, our food system changed a lot in such a short period of time.
But are we actually eating better or is our obsession with finding the perfect diet actually doing more harm than good?

P. S. I just want to make it clear that I'm not criticizing anyone's personal choices. I only want to know want you think about this "food revolution".Are we harming ourselves by trying to eat better?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • I'm not sure
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Here's an article that approaches the topic of health problems caused by clean eating www.theguardian.com/.../why-we-fell-for-clean-eating
Thank you for everyones opinions on the topic. I've posted a myTake related to this question where I give my perspective www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a50123-a-food-revolution

2|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Eating whole organic food is really healthy and a lot of variety in it.
    but the problem a lot of people face, is we want fast results in no time to look really great.
    Instead we can eat in moderation any kind of food ( except non-organic and the one with label DIET ) with a proper exercise and try to make it as a life style instead of short time hysteria about it.

PS : 90% of diets on the internet is shit ! They will give you fast results but on the expense of other lacking factors your body needs to function properly.

1|0
    0|0
    • Organic food is not that easy to find, or should I say it's too easy to find nowadays? A few years ago, you couldnt fund organic food everywhere, you could be sure it was organic, now you can only trust it's actually organic if you produce it or if you go to local markets.
      About the diets, they're complete bulshit 😅 better to make your own diet

• Show All
    • I'm glad I don't have those problems, I live in the city where I'm studying but when I go home to my parents, I can bring organic food since they live in the country

• Aha, then stay healthy inside and outside !!!

Most Helpful Girl

• Eating what is actually good for our body is not harming at all.
    it's all changed in a short period of time because we became aware our digestive system was actually made to digest plant based food
    so switching to a diet your body is made for, cannot harm it, more like the opposite

0|0
    0|0
    • So all these different diets that appeared out of nowhere are good? Isn't it better to look at yourself and try to understand what's good for you and what isn't? There are many people who don't follow these diets and never had health problems.

• Show All
    • ahhh okay then... nah im still holding on to my previous opinion because of biology studies but i believe you're very right too cause different people need different nutrition..

• Well, I'm not looking to change your opinion 😀

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 51

• The only real think people are harming are their wallets.

Marketers make consumers feel like they are getting a good deal for "healthy" food, when they are in fact... not. The main objective is simply to take money from your wallet - as is the case in most businesses.

All those pills, vitamins and supplements... marketed to suggest your body may be deficient in them? People in western civilizations are never deficient in basic vitamins and minerals. It is extremely rare, given how much food is available to us.

"Organic" foods? Locally grown? Superfoods?
    Somehow, spending less money on chemical pesticides, growing locally to avoid transportation costs... is supposed to make food MORE expensive. Why is corn grown in the farm down the street more expensive than corn grown in Mexico and imported here? Well, you're being scammed. Organic food scares people into thinking that traces of pesticides will harm you. More specifically, herbicides and insecticides that target plant and insect biological mechanisms, that have little effect on humans and mammals. However, when people hear "pesticides" they go apeshit. Truth is, you and generations past were fed these foods, and everyone turned out perfectly fine.

Superfoods? No such thing. They are just foods. A blueberry is not a superfood. Oddly, you will often find a link between the word "superfood" and hard-to-find items or imported/exotic foods. Quinoa was labelled as a superfood. It's a grain like any other. But it's exotic (not anymore) so people made stories about it being extra nutritious... to line their pockets.

Detoxifying foods? Sorry, there is no food that actively forces your body to excrete harmful chemicals that you've accumulated. You eat, digest, absorb... and shit out the remainder. No foods cause you to sweat out toxins.

0|0
    0|1
  • 64% of people in the UK are overweight for a reason, and it's a similar number in most other Western countries. Just as many people die from obesity related health issues today as they do from smoking related ones.

I know people who've had various health issues who do nothing but eat shit, things that could be fixed if they just made dietary changes, but they have this same mentality that it's all a load of shit and that it doesn't really matter so then they have to take medication rather than just eating properly.

I think it's a lot better to try to eat clean than it is to eat a bad diet. The only problem is fad diets, people who take things to the extreme, and those who use junk science or simply use anecdotal evidence to back up their claims. But to say that it's bad to try to eat clean when we live in a place where almost 2/3 people are overweight and completely unhealthy is also ridiculous. It's not hard to figure out what foods are good, what foods can be harmful, and to eat in moderation.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say no. Knowledge and wisdom is the key. Eating healthier is pretty simple, hopefully they don't try to overthink it or look for short cuts (which many do), shortcuts in finding some "special" diet that will trick their body into losing weight at some rapid pace.

The basics are to just eat real foods. Things that nature grows... not things mankind has processed and packaged and loaded with sugar and fat. We should eat plants... fresh fruits and vegetables. Nuts and legumes... lean proteins... baked or grilled meats and we should mainly drink water.

Humans and our bodies are made to move and be active daily. Sitting at desks all day and sitting on couches all night aren't how we were made to live. Eating a natural diet and moving around daily is how we were meant to live and how we'll be fit and healthy. Being sedentary and eating processed foods, loaded with processed sugars, fats and preservatives is how we get fat and become unhealthy. The ingredients list should be one to three or four words long and they should be real words. When the ingredients is a paragraph long and looks like some science experiment with unreadable words you know you are eating something that is not good for your body.

0|0
    0|0
  • The thing is that we shouldn't worry about caloric intake instead the focus should be on what is needed to burn off said calories. And figure out a workout that works. Its not about specifically how much we put inside our bodies that decides if were chubby or skinny. Its how we treat ourselves and care of ourselves.

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree with you, many diets are "fake": they recommend "light" or "zero" products which often are not healthy for other reasons.
    For me, a good diet is a well balanced one. Some fruit, vegatables, meat, fish, pasta, potatoes,...
    If you need to lose weight you can cut back a little on the potatoes and pasta, and if your cholesterol is high some meat will be replaced by bird meat or fish :D

1|1
    0|0
  • eating healthier should never hurt our bodies. if people are harming themselves it's due to poor dieting or unhealthy dieting. so in that regard we aren't hurting ourselves by eating better but hurting ourselves by not eating properly. but there's no doubt that organic food, non-gmo's, less red meat, less food dyes, less processed, etc are better for us than the alternative

0|0
    0|0
  • the thing is we are trading one food item for another without looking at the way we eat.

moderation is important, as is balance of nutrients. otherwise the exacts don't really matter; if they did, every country would be identical in food culture.

instead you have comparitive differences like japan, istanbul, germany, england, Canada. each if them eat different things, yet they are still alive as a culture.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some are because they don't understand nutrition. They don't even know what to put into themselves to make them healthy, they rely on labels and advertising to tell them what to think. Look at how many products were labeled Non-GMO or Organic. It's ridiculous, people equate organic with "healthy".

1|0
    0|0
  • Those who blindly follow a trend may be but those who actually digest (pun intended) all the information and implement it effectively should do well for themselves. It kills me to go out with people for dinner and they request something gluten free. With their response, gluten is bad for you. It’s not idiot! Only if have celiac disease or an allergy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I discovered today that I have liver disease. It will likely kill me. Why? Because I didn't eat healthy.
    Clean, low fat, low carb eating and exercise are the way to not die.

1|1
    0|0
  • People need something to feel passionate about. Just because a person is obsessing or even spending huge amounts of money on organic food doesn't make it a waste if the person enjoys it. It's like college. Most people will spend huge amounts of money on a degree they often won't use or they will study endlessly things that don't progress their career. In the end, it comes down to them enjoying the idea of chasing their dream or goal and the joy is in the process and not the result.

1|0
    0|0
  • Too many diets, too many experts.
    Lots of confusion, lots of money involved.
    Everybody is on their own on this, experts say everything is bad but look there's tons of diets out there. Somehow society lost the idea of healthy eating in modern times, its very dark actually cause with all the resources we have... we have plenty of people with healthy problems related to their nutrition.

0|0
    0|0
  • The problem lies in what our opinion of 'healthy eating' is. I've been studying this for years and the recommendations are so off base that they're literally killing people.

0|1
    0|0
  • "Going on a diet" means nothing. If we want to make positive changes and stay healthy, you have to change overall eating on an every day basis. If your question is about fad diets that only last like 30 days or whatever, then yeah those are worthless. But it seems like you're conflating making desirable healthy changes that last a lifetime with just going on a diet. They aren't equal. No vote.

0|0
    0|0
    • Diet as in a way of eating, not the ones meant to help you lose weight

• I didn't even talk about going on a diet

• It's all about eating smart - knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your own body and trying to supplement it so that it can cope naturally to external influences. "Eat to live", not the other way around, they say.

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't change my diet. I still eat what I want. I just try to work on balancing it and eat too much of any item on my list. I try to get natural stuff and eat less sugar. Grass fed meats and eggs and avoid white bread (I still eat it sometimes tho), but seriously nothing more than what I mentioned.

0|0
    0|0
  • Noo. It's about eating a variety of grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and oils.

The bad part is thinking because it's food, you can eat it as long as you don't eat too much of it.

Stick with honey, cinnamon, fruits and vegetables.

lay off the sugar, sodas, crackers and hydrogenated oils and you should be fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • This describes my diet best...

1|1
    0|0
  • There is nothing wrong with indulging in crappy food... but when all you eat is the aforementioned crappy food then its a problem. The thing about diets is... everyoneis different. What works for me, might not for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that people develop an attraction to a particular theory or school of nutrition and they seem to glom to it as if they have found the Messiah. Organic, Vegan, Food Combining. etc. And the latest report has ALL the answers. When I was a child, the latest report said that the fats in butter were unhealthy and we should all eat margarine. Now, the reports says margarine is unhealthy and we should all eat butter.

I eat a low carb, high fat, high protein diet and many people warn me that my cholesterol will go "through the roof" but I have it checked routinely (free service when I donate blood) and it is always under 170.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's harmful to your psyche for sure.
    However, most foods are NOT that bad for you.
    As long as you cut down on portions and grease, you can eat what you want.

0|1
    0|0
  • There is a nice song I've heard once, its translated title is : "They are ruining our life by trying to save it". It's about smoking eating and alcohol. Basically, removing all your little pleasures in life just to be "healthier".

0|0
    0|0
  • I think yes we harm by diet... It's simple thing just eat how you need and work according how much you eat I think it's the only way in which we can make proper digestion and we get all the nutrition from food we eat..

0|0
    0|0
  • a lot of it is pseudo science. But over all eating better is a good thing. Just watch carbs and calories and you should be good if you are a normal person without any kind of gland issue

0|0
    0|0
  • Im a fussy eater, always have been. If i started trying to limit what I ate based on moral or dietary requirements id starve to death

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so. I personally do not want to suffer a painful heart attack. And if eating unhealthy food is going to give me that, then I'll cease eating that kind of food.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me I've always just ate what I want... I just drank a soda and ate a microwaved chimichanga with cheese sprinkled on it. I ate a potato smothered in butter before that.

I think the biggest issue that's being inflicted upon us from a young age... we don't get enough recess and time to play AKA workout. I mean I really don't think it's healthy to be sitting on our bums as much as we do, generally speaking. Our schools started feeding our kids so called 'healthy' crap which resembles starvation and took their recesses away... when those kids grow up, they're not going to be in the habit of doing some hardcore exercise like me and enjoying it. Most... will conform, sit down, and shut up just like they've been told to do their entire life.

And that's my rant... I'm getting sick of hearing that 'diet' is 90% of looking like me. I'd say enjoying rigorous movement will do more than any of these dumb diets.

1|0
    0|0
  • The problem is that it's hard to find good resource on what to eat.

Most of what you read about food are pseudo science without research. Then the one with researches are bent by the food industry to favor their products (like sugar industry).

Then you have good enhancers and additives into food products nowadays. they are added from the ground, the water, the air, the meat, the vegetables even before leaving the farm.

Then you have the obsession with sterilization. Every food needs to be free of bacteria. This contribute to various disease because the guy microbes couldn't survive the sterilization.

In my quest for good food, I found out that the real great food aren't fresh foods but fermented, dried and rotted food. Preservation is the key of cooking. The fermentation adds flavors and textures beyond anything fresh and they also give a good wealth of new microbes.

1|1
    0|0
  • not by eating better. harming for feeling worse or for eating stuff that your body doesn't want.

e. g. feeling low for hours and eating chocolate bars to stop the hunger

0|0
    0|0
  • It's definitely a good thing. I'm literally started a second degree studying this stuff. How Americans eat in general is absolutely terrible.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 33

• In some ways, yes. Because the media, we are pretty much obsessed with having the perfect sexy looking body which has lead to people having a lot of insecurities, low self-esteem, and restricting their body from nutrients (aka eating disorders, crazy dieting). Now I'm saying being overly fat is good, we already know what happens when people think you're trying to shove that body positivity movement ordeal. Yes obesity is a problem, yes a lot of people are lazy and just don't like the discomfort of excercise, it's a normal human instinct to avoid something that will cause us physical pain even if it's good for us. I strongly believe people don't want to be obese/overweight, they want to fit into the standard of beauty or at least be healthy. But people also don't want to stress about food when they have 101 other things they're already stressed about. Most people just want to eat, be full, and go about their day but also maintain a healthy weight without torturing themselves with limits and restrictions. That's why a lot of people don't bother working out, they know their diet mostly has to change if they want results and that is extremely hard to do for a lot of people to. If someone is a bread lover like me, then trying to cut back or cut low is going to be miserable especially if you're the type of person who doesn't feel satisfied even though your full. And being full but not satisfied with your meal really sucks. But anyways that's just my opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think we are but who knows. Everything changes every time you turn around. What was once great for a human suddenly turns into the worst thing.
    Also, I think this would have made a better MyTake

0|0
    0|0
  • No,
    but there's a difference between trying to eat better and following some fad.
    Truth is that our diet has changed more in the last 100 years than the 10 000 before that combined. And it's hardly controversial that a lot of that new "food" isn't healthy.
    And it's not just higher sugar and fat. It's additives, processing aids packaging.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's good to be educated about proper nutrition, especially from a young age, to build good eating habits and prevent many illnesses. But it can become an addiction, if food and macros and calories is all you think about, or if it makes you become isolated.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s all about the money... it’s the food industry that’s making everyone sick... even the “healthy” food is bad for us... especially if you live in the USA...

So people who actually care about what they consume are better off than those who don’t, even if the healthier foods are still bad because they are still less bad than the other alternatives... it’s all just awful... which is why everyone should care...

0|0
    0|0
  • It's an obsession for some people, like calm the fuck down and eat a cookie lol

1|2
    0|0
  • With some diets, definitely. I think most people don't have enough biological knowledge to know what's good for them and then if you change your diet drastically, it can cause health issues.

I think if you eat at least everyday (maybe skip a day) vegetables with dinner, not too much meat and have a variated diet, then you'll be fine. Even if you eat fries once in a while. I think it's better to eat 'normal' and not too much

0|0
    0|0
  • Most people do too much too fast which leads to bad results for the same reason that if your dog has been eating the one kind of dry food and you suddenly switch him to something else, you can upset his stomach.

These changes in diet should be made gradually, not suddenly like most diets encourage.

0|0
    0|0
  • I changed my diet to whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts and beans. I’m always bloated, sorry and sick... I thought eating better would make me feel better? It’s been 2 months and I’m about to quit... I may have had a micfin too, but my diet before didn’t make me feel so awful

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but at the same time, what else can we do? Super-crops have prevented starvation in some countries. Ready-made foods have allowed women to work. There’s always a trade off. The question is: is it really worth it?

1|0
    0|0
  • My therapist says that society has pushed healthy eating to a whole new level that isn’t healthy for the mind you should eat what feels right and not be constantly worried about it because that’s when it negatively affects your mind just have good portions of the food you want

1|0
    0|0
  • I think its great all the information we now have about what foods to put in our systems and think ultimately those who do the research ARE eating better and becoming healthier and living longer.

1|0
    0|0
  • Did anybody else hear about the vegan couple living in a van who had a baby and tried raising it vegan, and it died from malnourishment?
    This question reminded me of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if you let it. If you actually follow the advice of professionals and don't let it rule your life then it's fine. It's the people with toxic mentalities going to the wrong sources that are the problem.

0|0
    0|1
  • Well I think its better than constantly eating food that leads to obesity and a whole lot of other medical issues.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think striving to eat healthy is bad but I agree that some people may take it too far and therefore, not be getting all of the essential nutrients from their food, which can result in a host of other health issues.

That being said, I have a pretty limited diet but it's not a choice for me. I have Celiac Disease so I will literally get sick for days if I eat gluten. I think it has become popular to judge other people's eating habits and while some of it may be valid, in other cases they could have legitimate medical and health reasons, we just don't know. So I try to not judge or make comments about what other people eat because I hate it when people do that to me and assume that I only eat gluten-free because of some fad diet trend.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I eat clean. i don't eat junk at all and I'm a vegetarian. My body adjusted to my diet and I no longer have cravings for junk. So I'm not obsessed. Of course, there's no perfect diet but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to eat healthy.

0|0
    0|0
  • How can eating healthy be bad for you? Like if you're unhealthily trying to lose weight then I can see but how is eating healthy to better yourself bad?

0|0
    0|0
    • Not eating healthy, but being obsessed with it

• Show All
    • That's not obsessed that's being healthy they get the nutrients from other food

• You didn't understand and if I said they're eliminating essential foods from their diets it means they're not getting the nutrients somewhere else. You should read the article I talk about in the update, it explains what I'm trying to say

• Going overboard is never a good thing, even if it's in a good direction.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some fad diets are total bullshit like gluten free diet. Unless the celiacs disease, of course in which case, gluten can kill them.

0|0
    0|0
  • there is a lot of information overload as to what constitutes the "best" diet. everyone responds differently to different foods. my only guideline is to eat a variety of fresh foods in moderation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Overdoing anything can be harmful... But the reality is that we desperately do need to make a shift toward less processed and healthier foods.

0|0
    0|0
  • My dad has always said "everything in moderation", and I believe that

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think I'm obsessed with eating better however, I just try to make sure I'm not eating junk all the time and that it's more of a treat.

1|0
    0|0
  • Many food nowadays are processed and are harmful. Processed food isn't good for anyone because it causes cancer especially heart disease. But they still allow it to be sold at stores anyway.

Not everything you eat is safe anymore. I don't trust FDA all the way. I mean, how many times have there been an outbreak due to food? Nothing is safe to eat anymore. You just have to be careful and eat safely. Make sure enough cook to roughly and etc.

Just because a certain food or veggie is deemed as healthy doesn't mean it will always be good for you. Just like organic food... just because it may seem safer and healthier to eat doesn't mean it will always be all the time.

I don't trust diet pills or diets. It may not work for everyone. Everyone has different body DNAs. What works for someone might not work for you due to different blood type, body type, and how healthy you are.

0|0
    0|0
  • We should always try to do and be better, but we need to educate ourselves on how to do it best.

0|0
    0|0
  • It all depends what you're eating. Currently I'm on a "Get thick diet" so I eat foods high in fat BUT are good for your body such as potatoes & yams bananas, beans , nuts and lean meat (and more). Personally I think it's good because now I'm giving my body the proper energy it needs in order to build itself and protect against diseases when I'm older. Now as for organic vs GMO foods I stay the heck away from GMO cause that stuff is made to alter your DNA and make you weaker over time. They purposely make it more easier to get your hands on GMO foods without you even knowing. GMO and Monsanto is just evil for the human body. Think of your body as an entire digestive system, not a chomping and eating machine - what you put in your stomach is going to travel through your blood either help or harm you.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why the hell are you on a "get thick" diet

• Show All
    • You can do what you like, but realise that not diet will make your thighs or butt bigger, it'll increase your whole body fat percentage so you'll gain fat everywhere

• Yeah I know, which is why I've been working out my core as well and making sure my metabolism isn't lacking.

• The way some people are dieting and eating is harmful but a healthy, balanced diet is good.

0|0
    0|0
  • Generally no but it depends on what approach you take to 'eat better.'

0|0
    0|0
  • How would earring cleaner and better be bad for you? That’s stupid...

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes