What would you eat if you only had $5 a day to survive on?

In your local currency equivalent, do you think you could live satisfactorily and how healthy would you be?

1339

Most Helpful Guy

• I think I could feed the both of us on that.

Flour, eggs, greens and carbs are pretty cheap here, and the rabbit and pigeon population problem would come into its own, so to speak...

• On $5 each? Or between you?

• Without any trouble if it was $5 a day each.

I think $5 per day for both of us is doable, too. $35 per week would buy a enough rice, flour, eggs and vegetables. And then the pests make their contribution.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's about 4,25€ so 29,75€ a week. When I was still studying I had a 30€ weekly budget and I got on fine. I would choose a meal on Monday and prepare it and eat the same meal for the whole week. My favorites were chicken salad and different pies, because they lasted the longest. I only had one meal a day and maybe had some treats on the weekend if I had leftover money from Monday. It wasn't healthy for sure, but money was tight so I made it work. I often baked my own bread to save money. I wouldn't willingly go back to that, because having the same meal for a week is boring and unhealthy, but if I was in that situation again I could make it work.