What would you eat if you only had $5 a day to survive on?

In your local currency equivalent, do you think you could live satisfactorily and how healthy would you be?
What would you eat if you only had $5 a day to survive on?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I think I could feed the both of us on that.

Flour, eggs, greens and carbs are pretty cheap here, and the rabbit and pigeon population problem would come into its own, so to speak...

1|0
    0|0
    • On $5 each? Or between you?

• Without any trouble if it was $5 a day each.

I think $5 per day for both of us is doable, too. $35 per week would buy a enough rice, flour, eggs and vegetables. And then the pests make their contribution.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's about 4,25€ so 29,75€ a week. When I was still studying I had a 30€ weekly budget and I got on fine. I would choose a meal on Monday and prepare it and eat the same meal for the whole week. My favorites were chicken salad and different pies, because they lasted the longest. I only had one meal a day and maybe had some treats on the weekend if I had leftover money from Monday. It wasn't healthy for sure, but money was tight so I made it work. I often baked my own bread to save money. I wouldn't willingly go back to that, because having the same meal for a week is boring and unhealthy, but if I was in that situation again I could make it work.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 38

• What? This is an easy question.

$5 is equivalent to ₹322
    If I am not going to gym, I can easily survive with that amount of money. In fact, I'd be doing savings.

A deluxe thali (a set meal at an Indian restaurant) costs me ₹80 which consists of :-
    ●Cheese curry
    ●Vegetable curry
    ●Lentils
    ●Curd
    ●Salad
    ●Rice
    ●Chapati with butter
    ●Dessert

I can barely eat that much. I'll have it twice a day so, that makes it ₹160

Then I'll purchase 1.5L of cow milk. That costs me ₹63

Total amount: ₹223
    Savings: ₹99

Personally, I'd not be satisfied because I'd like to bulk, but this is healthy and enough for an average person.

But if I'm having homemade food, it all becomes even cheaper. And possibly, I'd adjust it in my budget.

10 Eggs and 150g of chicken breast would cost me ₹150
    2L milk ₹84
    Oats, peanuts and some dry fruits and pumpkin seeds ~₹60
    6 wheat chapatis and vegetables and salad ~₹40

Total amount: ~₹330
    Yes, I can happily live in just $5. In fact, I can bulk up!

2|0
    0|0
    • Indian food is cheating cause its so cheap hahah

• Show All
    • Wow! 12 eggs here cost $0.9 :P

• Ah I see
      Makes sense then. That's a good thing and Im surprised you can only get free range in wherever you are in the usa. But super awesome
      Something needs to be done with chicken. Cause normal chicken, non organic chicken, is sooooo soooo bad i find

FutureEx
      1 dollar for 12 eggs lol geez bajeez that is a great deal

• $5 a day goes a long way in a garden. You could easily live off from that, and the fruits of your labor. If you're a meat eater, gardens attract squirrels, rabbits, deer & hogs. Now you've got meat in the freezer too!

1|2
    0|0
  • Ramen Noodles @$0.29/meal x 3 meals/day = $0.87
    $5.00 - $0.87 = $4.13 for my nail polish addiction :-p

https://youtu.be/GC3UAF3STY8

1|0
    0|0
  • Eggs, black beans, bananas, brown rice, greens, oatmeal, honey, chicken breast. You could get all my of those for about 50 - 70 bucks a week.

1|0
    0|0
    • But you’re over budget 😛

• Well lets break it down:

5 dollars x 7 days in a week = 35 bucks

Black beans (dry) are $1.39 per lbs. Get 3 lbs. and you are looking at about $4
      Brown rice (dry) is $0.80 per lbs. Get 3 lbs. and you are looking at about $3
      Bananas are about $0.59 per lbs. A 7 banana bunch is usually about 3 lbs. so that would be about $2
      Large eggs are about $4 for 18.
      Kale greens are about $2 a bunch. Three bunches are $6.
      Oatmeal is about $2.50 for 18oz container
      Sometimes you can get honey as cheap as $3 for 12oz
      Chicken breast is usually $2 a lbs. If you make it stretch, you could get 4 lbs. for $8.

That all comes to $32.50. With the remaining $2.50 I'd get seasonings. Maybe Adobo and black pepper. If seasonings aren't included, then I'd say get a small jar of peanut butter to go with your oatmeal in the morning.

• I could survive easily. In fact you could almost feed a young family for that if you wanted to. You could be fairly healthy and varied too.

The difference is the quality of your ingredients will be right at the bottom. You will be hunting perishables that stores need to sell that day at reduced price. You can pretty much forget any good flavour or texture, it will be edible and that's it.

1|0
    0|0
  • What 5 bucks a day
    Damn id die lol

Well i guess thats like 35 a week. A little less yup
    7 cans of tuna 7 bucks
    Loaf of bread - 3
    Bag of rice -15$
    Chick peas
    Kidney beans
    Lentiles

With whats left over
    Ayiiii no fruits or veggies 😌 But the bag or rice is huge. More more like for 3 weeks maybe
    So i guess bannas, apples and brocoli with some spare lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends, how healthy do you want your diet to be? That price range will knock out every protein known to man.

1|0
    0|0
  • Rice, rice and more rice. Noodles at times. 3 cobs of corn is like $1 so that's pretty filling. There's kilos of vegetables you can get for under $5. Beans, peas, stir fry etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hardee's $5 All Star meal enough calories for your whole day and probably the next and I've got like five meals so one everyday oh and four people in other areas Carl's Junior

1|0
    0|0
  • Vegetables... At least you will not get malnutrition from that. But you will always be feeling hungry

1|0
    0|0
  • Ramen noodles are pennies a serving, but they're not very healthy. Chicken can be purchased cheaply and you can make soup with carrots, onions and celery.

1|0
    0|1
  • I've been in this situation as a poor man. No joke. Rice or $1 pasta with sauce.

1|0
    0|0
  • There's a restaurant here in South Africa that sells a full English breakfast for $2.49 so I'd have 2 of those a day haha

1|0
    0|0
  • Bread with some cheese I guess... there wouldn't be much more to choose :-(

1|0
    0|0
  • Beans and rice. That is my shit right there. Give me beans and rice and I will be a happy cat!

1|0
    0|0
  • Ramen and bottled water that’s all you need to survive

1|0
    0|0
  • I've once lived on less than 50 cents per day, so...

2|0
    0|0
  • Definitely egg it's between veg and non veg. And you can eat for long.

1|0
    0|0
    • Wouldn't really be practical though. Eggs are about 4$ where im from at 80 cals x 12 gets you about 1000 cals not enough to maintain day to day life. Not to mention eating that many yolks will come at the price of heart problems later on in life

• kale, eggs, and potatoes. every meal. snack on peanuts.

1|0
    0|0
  • Heavy on rice and beans. Scavange for whatever cheap vegetables are possible. It would be tough

0|0
    0|0
  • There are thousand of possibilities. I rarely spent more than 5dollars a day

0|0
    0|0
  • eggs, bread, cereals, veggies !! lots of options !!

0|0
    0|0
  • 1 can of chicken & vegetable soup and a couple dollar sandwiches from Mcdonald's

0|0
    0|0
  • fuck that

1|0
    0|0
  • I will eat you

0|1
    1|0
  • Multi-vitamin, bunch of lentils, ramen

1|0
    0|0
  • Bananas, Peanut Butter, and Some kind of pasta

1|0
    0|0
  • Ramen done it before probably have to do it again

1|0
    0|0
  • Lasagna or paella.

1|0
    0|0
  • 5€ is more than I eat everyday.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• We already survive on 4 pounds a day due to our economical situation.

We cook bulk food so for 7 days. Then freeze it. So this week it was chicken butternut squash carrot stew with mash.

I only eat lunch which is homemade bread, tomatoes and vegetables with 1/2 cup of milk.

My partner eats porridge.

We have no snacks apart from fruit or nuts we make the nuts last a month.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably be having rice, beans, and maybe fresh tomato, or tomato sauce for every meal. (protein, veggie/fruit, and carb).

0|0
    0|0
  • I get a egg salad sandwich from the work vending machine everyday for $3.10 unless someone brings me free food..

0|0
    0|0
  • Buy tge cheapesr cereal and add milk, as simple as that

0|0
    0|0
  • 5$ a day? I eat for less than that...

0|0
    1|0
    • What do you eat

• Well I mean a portion of maccheroni with some tomato paste and spices 25ct, then about two apples 50ct, two bread rolls 50ct also, some spread that's like 1$ but lasts for several times, I usually drink tea which is just a few cents a bag, vegetables like a bell pepper or sweet corn maybe 50ct again. Come cornflakes for 1,50$ a bag lasts several times again, some milk. I mean I do well with like 3$ I guess. Though maybe not that healthy but I'm not malnourished or anything and eat quite a bit. You just gotta get the cheap stuff and make it better. I own many many spices and dried herbs those are super cheap and make anything taste good. No packaged meals those are overpriced, maybe once in a while a frozen pizza

• cans of soup.

0|1
    0|0
  • Beans, eggs, milk

0|0
    0|0
  • Five Arizona iced teas.

0|1
    0|0
  • Elio's Pizza is 3 for $3.

0|0
    0|0
  • Salad, need to lose weight anyway lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I d me dead XD

0|0
    0|0
  • A 12 pack of Raman for $2.50 A 2-liter for $1 and I still have $1.50 to save

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes