Should you get asked for ID for a soft drink at a pub on a weekday evening?

My friends and I were asked for ID on the assumption of us buying alcohol. We then proceeded to order soft drinks as I had forgotten my ID and to my amazement we were asked again for our ID to buy an appletiser.
Note that our ages are 24, 24, 23 and I have worked in the bar pub reastaurant industry for 6 years.
We of course then left in disgust went to the next pub and shared a bottle of wine no questions asked.
Is this a new thing to do at local pubs nowadays? There was no bouncers and it was 8pm and not even a night club.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, and I would have asked why.

I suspect a relatively new bartender.

If they do it again (and you wanna get back at them), I’d ask for their manager and then tell the manager you’re leaving because of it. Ultimately all the manager cares about is sales.

0|0
    0|1
    • That's what I was tempted to do... i just couldn't even be bothered to be there anymore.. amd hey presto... my night got better cause we didn't stay.

• Considering you went to a different pub and got served immediately you did the bigger and better thing to do.

Cheers!

Most Helpful Girl

• Its the law here to ask for ID if you look under 25, but many places just ask everyone to eliminate the judgement call. Under 18’s need to be accompanied by an adult at all times, if you possibly look that young they will ask to verify.

It might be a pain in the ass for you, but it’s a huge fine and potential loss of licence if the police come through and find underage people in there or unaccompanied.
    Who doesn’t carry ID these days

0|1
    0|0
    • There’s no fine for selling appletiser to anyone, irregardless of age, it should be available to all ages.

• Show All
    • You have a great night too!
      Although it’s not even 2pm here in the UK, which is where the OP is from.

• Can I be clear that this was not to do with being a minor at all as we are all early to mid 20s and we couldn't even buy a soft drink... thank you for your opinion... i think this is a difference of countries laws and opinions... in the UK a child age 16 can have a small glass of wine or half pint of beer with their meal when out with their parents/guardians... obviously we were not going to eat however we wanted a catch up as friends over a drink be it alcoholic or non alcoholic for Christmas... i just think it was ludicrous considering I know the age guidelines and laws having experience serving alcohol for 6 years now.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Hell no, who's the idiot that asked for ID when buying a soft drink? Tell them to learn the bloody difference between a soft drink and an alcoholic drink. Supermarkets don't ask for ID when buying coke, because it makes sense. Next time when someone says that to you, hit them in the head with a brick

0|1
    0|0
  • It could have been the person trying to be safe. I never get offended when asked for ID it just means the person is being cautious or doing there job. 23 and 24 year olds most of time don't look that much older than 21 year olds

1|0
    0|0
  • It does say on some signs, "if you look under 25, be prepared to prove you are over 18". In just about every supermarket, and many pubs, especially near universities!

0|1
    0|0
  • If it's a bar that doesn't allow minors than of course they should card as it doesn't matter what you order you can only be in the bar if you are of legal age. This is not a hard concept to understand.

0|0
    0|0
  • This always happens to me and my bro! My bro is in his 20s as well. They always ask both of us for ID even when I'm not buying anything, they say "we check everyone who looks under 25" (drinking age is 18)

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't mind them checking it, it's when they take so long writing everything down in their big bloody book... I mean I go their every week

• I hear you man, me and my bro have the same problem. They also have a big bloody book

• Never heard of this before (and I'm British, too).

What a stupid thing for the pub to have done? Was it an overzealous and undertrained staff member or a manager?

0|0
    0|0
    • God knows... maybe the pub had beennkm trouble with the law for underage and they're being over precautious... she just took it a bit too far though

• You know, it probably is that.

I bet they got raided, and they're taking things too far, as you say.

• That's pretty dumb, I understand IDing people at the door or for ordering alcoholic drinks, but for a soft drink after you're already at the table. That's pretty ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0
  • If an establishment has a license to sell or serve alcohol, they can ask you as many times as they wish. Even if you're only buying soft drinks. Happened to me fairly recently

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. They'll probably tell you it's company policy, but it's a bit daft over soft drink.

0|0
    0|1
  • I don't know what the law says, but I see no reason as to why a minor cannot have a soft drink in a pub.

0|0
    0|0
  • No that's just fucking dumb, someone obviously didn't know their job properly xD

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that's ridiculous

0|1
    1|1
  • No..

0|0
    0|1
  • Legally I bar owner is required to "use any and all available means to prevent minors from entering there premises" and if they fail at this there liquor licence could be taken away so they probably just being overly careful it is there livelyhood on the line

0|0
    0|0
  • No we are not supposed to be asked for ID. Let us assume this changes!!!

0|0
    0|1
  • They should have carded, what they did was wrong

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 1

• Where I live alcohol laws are really strict. They don't let people in pubs if they don't have an ID, what ever they are going to purchase there. All people that look under 30 need to be asked. Usually if the ID is checked at the door, the bartender doesn't ask to see it again. But they have every right to do so if they want to, because they can lose their license if they even accidentally sell alcohol to minors. Thus they might check ID even when buying soft drinks. They are not even allowed to let anyone under 18 to a pub, even with adults.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended myTakes