Should you get asked for ID for a soft drink at a pub on a weekday evening?

My friends and I were asked for ID on the assumption of us buying alcohol. We then proceeded to order soft drinks as I had forgotten my ID and to my amazement we were asked again for our ID to buy an appletiser.
Note that our ages are 24, 24, 23 and I have worked in the bar pub reastaurant industry for 6 years.
We of course then left in disgust went to the next pub and shared a bottle of wine no questions asked.
Is this a new thing to do at local pubs nowadays? There was no bouncers and it was 8pm and not even a night club.

217

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, and I would have asked why.

I suspect a relatively new bartender.

If they do it again (and you wanna get back at them), I’d ask for their manager and then tell the manager you’re leaving because of it. Ultimately all the manager cares about is sales.

• That's what I was tempted to do... i just couldn't even be bothered to be there anymore.. amd hey presto... my night got better cause we didn't stay.

• Considering you went to a different pub and got served immediately you did the bigger and better thing to do.

Cheers!

Most Helpful Girl

• Its the law here to ask for ID if you look under 25, but many places just ask everyone to eliminate the judgement call. Under 18’s need to be accompanied by an adult at all times, if you possibly look that young they will ask to verify.

It might be a pain in the ass for you, but it’s a huge fine and potential loss of licence if the police come through and find underage people in there or unaccompanied.
    Who doesn’t carry ID these days

• There’s no fine for selling appletiser to anyone, irregardless of age, it should be available to all ages.

• You have a great night too!
      Although it’s not even 2pm here in the UK, which is where the OP is from.

• Can I be clear that this was not to do with being a minor at all as we are all early to mid 20s and we couldn't even buy a soft drink... thank you for your opinion... i think this is a difference of countries laws and opinions... in the UK a child age 16 can have a small glass of wine or half pint of beer with their meal when out with their parents/guardians... obviously we were not going to eat however we wanted a catch up as friends over a drink be it alcoholic or non alcoholic for Christmas... i just think it was ludicrous considering I know the age guidelines and laws having experience serving alcohol for 6 years now.