Can only an American love Hershey's chocolate?

Can only an American love Hershey's chocolate?Let's be honest about this - Hershey's is 'chocolate' the way the Devil conceived it... it tastes shitty, it stinks, and is generally considered to be an entirely inferior form of confectionery...

Does anybody actually think it's good, or is it merely much cheaper than other brands?
  • Can only an American love Hershey's chocolate?Hershey's tastes great (I'm American)
    Vote A
  • Can only an American love Hershey's chocolate?Hershey's sucks balls (I'm American)
    Vote B
  • Can only an American love Hershey's chocolate?Hershey's tastes great (I'm not American)
    Vote C
  • Can only an American love Hershey's chocolate?Hershey's sucks balls (I'm not American)
    Vote D
  • Can only an American love Hershey's chocolate?I've never tasted Hershey's (I'm fortunate)
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|2

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you, if I am going to eat unhealthy food, I would choose something that tastes way better than Hershey's. But I think most Americans like it because we ate it as kids.

0|1
    0|0
    • I think it's got to be that, too.

If you get the idea when you're a kid that something is meant to taste a certain way, I think there's a pretty good chance that that idea will stick.

• Show All
    • Thanks for MHO :) ;)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 22

• I'm American and I'm eating it right now

0|0
    0|0
  • Hershey's chocolate is ok but it's not great. It's just cheap junk food, my favorite is Godiva but I also like Ghirardelli and Lindt. My boyfriend says they all taste the same (which is a lie, he just has no tastebuds) when I tell people that I don't eat cheap chocolate (I really hate russell stover valentine chocolates too) they call me stuck up or spoiled. I just don't like nasty cheap chocolate

1|1
    0|1
    • Most cheap chocolate (including Hershey's and the kind of stuff you're talking about) actually gets stuck in my throat and makes me choke. I think it's all the sugar, or maybe I'm actually allergic to something that's found in cheap chocolate, I don't know.

• @samhradh_leannan I think the main difference is Hersheys uses high fructose corn syrup instead of cane sugar. Both are bad processed junk although at least cane sugar is more digestible lol. The quality of coco seeds may be a little better much a lot of the difference is marketing and packaging with pretty bows that make people think it's great. Coco seeds are mostly a commodity.

• I'll eat it, but it's definitely not my first choice of chocolate. European-made chocolate tastes sooo much better, creamier, and much more natural. To be honest, I think that most all European food just tastes a lot better than all the artificial junk we have in America.

0|1
    0|1
  • I'm not a fan of it, though i can eat it, i prefer Cadburys.

0|2
    0|0
    • What are your thoughts about the way Hershey's smells, as somebody else who didn't grow up with it?

• I never really noticed the way it smells but always found it had a very artificial taste like fake chocolate lol.

• I'm from the U. S., and the only Hershey's chocolate I can remotely stand is the "Special Dark" version. A lot of people just don't know what real chocolate is, or they like anything that's sweet and they don't really care.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have had all kinds of chocolates and I don't like Dove's, Lindt, and the more expensive chocolate. Then again, I don't eat many sweets either. I don't think it's a matter of where you come from, it's all on what your taste buds enjoy.

0|1
    0|0
  • I went to the Hershey's park when I was a kid and loved it

0|2
    0|0
  • I used to like hersheys kisses. Don't think they're anything special anymore. I don't know if the recipe changed. I'm not American and they are hard to find here (UK)

0|0
    0|0
  • Hershey 's kisses are better than the bar but it's still not even close to the best chocolate out there.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm Canadian and I love Hersey, especially the white chocolate ones. Some flavours are better than others.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hershey's tastes like cooking chocolate; it's got nothing on Cadburys.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have never thought Hershey's was anything special.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like it and In not American, but being completely honest, I dont know shit about good chocolate, and I dont eat it much

0|0
    0|0
  • Never tasted Hershey's, at least not that I can remember. I'm a Freia girl.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hershey's ain't bad I mean its not amazing but it satisfies the cravings

0|0
    0|0
  • I honestly never had it but I love chocolate so am now on a Hershey finding mission thanks

0|0
    0|0
  • my favorite chocolate

0|0
    0|0
  • Never tried it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hershey's is great. Mars is terrible.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hershey’s is the best

0|0
    0|0
  • It tastes like normal chocolate

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 22

• There was a time when Hershey made really good chocolate, maybe a decade or two ago, but it seems to have gone downhill. I think they moved a lot of their operations to Mexico, which might have something to do with it.

0|1
    0|0
    • And that is an excellent point.

Unfortunately, the same recently happened to Cadburys.

• I grew up pretty close to Hershey, Pennsylvania. I used to go to Hersheypark as a kid all the time. Even with all of that nostalgia surrounding Hershey’s, I don’t think Hershey’s Chocolate is very good. I only eat it if I’m making s’mores.

0|1
    0|0
  • America has this thing of producing subpar food products. I once watched this youtube video where it was explained that Americans would consider crystalized honey as "rotten" when in reality honey is supposed to crystallize, and the "honey" that they've been buying all their lives that stayed liquid all the time wasn't actually real honey.

0|1
    0|1
  • Some dudes did a science and found out that Hershey's use a chemical found in vomit to modify the chocolates taste

I mean just sayin maybe there's a reason Hershey's taste be like dat

0|1
    0|1
    • I was wondering when somebody would bring this up.

Because that is what I personally smell when I've opened the wrapping on a Hershey bar.

• Dude, chill. Lmao. Almost thought you were implying the company unethically uses vomit itself to modify the chocolate's taste. Experts "believe" that chemical is produced when the companies put their milk through a process called lipolysis to break down the fatty acids in the milk. www.elitedaily.com/.../1765784
      I'll take their word for it. Still kind of grossed out.

• Haha, you know what you're right, Hersheys is definitely an inferior brand in comparison to it's competition. And I use competition loosely because I have had much better chocolate than Hersheys. But, I'm not picky. I can definitely agree That Hersheys chocolate is low grade chocolate, but I still enjoy it. Maybe it's because I'm American.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am not a great Hershey's fan, And having indulged in British and Irish made Cabury's and the awesome choices they have, My appreciation of Hersey's has greatly diminished. ( the Hershey's made Cadbury is not any better than plain old Hershey's chocolate )

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it's the best chocolate out there but it certainly isn't the worst. It's just a cheap mass produced item.
    And if watching war movies has taught me anything those kids in the villages love hersheys. When the GIs show up they are they are like super heros (as long as they've got Hershey bars)

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree there are better chocolate. I disagree that it tastes shitty though. It's still pretty good. Hersheys has cheap ingredients and isn't meant to be high end. It's meant to be cheap.

0|1
    0|0
    • Saying we have an acquired taste for it is a rationalization. Parents don't have to try to force their one or two year olds to eat it. Kids that age are all over Hersheys. You sound like you may have an acquired taste of what chocolate "should" taste like. I personally don't buy chocolate brands. I make my own because it's very easy to make and the quality is much better and cheaper than the cheapest brands.

• I've tasted lots of chocolate from around the world and I believe that Hershey's would taste fine to Canadians, Finns and Brits. Countries that favor dark chocolate over hyper-sweet milk chocolate would not like it as much, but those first three groups I mentioned seem to dig sweet, soft chocolates. Also, countries that don't like chocolate at all would of course not like Hershey's. Traveling through Asia, I find that most chocolate there is heavily dulled with fruit to the point where it only looks like chocolate but tastes like raisins or some other cooked-down fruit. I wonder if the Asian palate just finds chocolate too bitter?

0|1
    0|0
  • Hershey's is not bad, it is just mass produced, simple, and cheap. Just as your Chevrolet will not be as fancy as your Cadillac, Hershey's is great for the price you pay.

0|0
    0|0
  • My friend and his mom got a job working at Hershey's. They did not have good stories of the plants where it's made.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't mind it. I just love sweet milk chocolate candy in general. Not really a fan of bitter dark chocolate which I'm guessing the europeans probably like (bleh)

0|0
    0|0
    • And my favorite Bar in CRUNCH bars which are a Nestlé product.

• Hershey's products are pretty popular in Canada , I used to work at a grocery store and there products sold well

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not bad for mass-market 'chocolate'. I liked it as a kid but now that I no longer choco-binge, I prefer something of a higher quality.

0|0
    0|0
  • mediocre at best, Cadbury dairy milk blows it out of the water

0|1
    0|0
  • Hershey's tastes great (I'm American) I believe any country can
    like Hershey's chocolates.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hersheys will almonds is the shit

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm not American but I love Harshey's Chocolate!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's ok and I'm a Murican.

0|0
    0|0
  • I tastes fine if, not good.

0|0
    0|0
  • No they are well liked all over the world

0|0
    0|0
  • No. All religions can love Hershey's chocolate