Defrosting pork in hot water?

I told my friend it's not safe to defrost pork or any meat in hot water, but he disagrees and is continuing to defrost it in hot water.

What are your. Thoughts?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends how big a piece of meat it is, and for how long he's defrosting it. The two major problems is time, and having the exterior defrost faster. You mentioned it yourself; Bacteria growth. If it's a small piece however, or if it isn't frozen solid.. then it could be fine.. given it's quick, and/or returned to the fridge if it isn't to be used immediately.. There's a whole science behind it. 😌

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• According to the usda thawing in warm water is not only faster than thawing in the refrigerator it may also result in better tasting meat according to their research. Just don’t make the water so hot it cooks the outside and make sure that it is thoroughly thawed out. So usda is good with it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• you can but generally only if the meat if about 1 inch or thicker...
    like it needs to be wrapped up in plastic and given a warm bath...

but not like super hot boiling water no...
    I personally don't like that --> I prefer my meat not frozen at all lol... the taste is always different to me

fresh always lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Ideally one should thaw any frozen food (not just pork) in cold water/environment. Hot water allows a habitable zone for bacteria to thrive... but that takes time. A bacterial colony most likely won't grow to a point of being a danger in 30 minutes.

Still, the accepted method is running cold water. Only takes a couple hours.

I admit though, I use hot water too sometimes. Just be very mindful of the 4 hour danger zone.

But,

0|0
    0|0
  • Let him food poison himself. If we can't learn through advice, we learn the hard way.

1|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't matter lol pork is dangerous when not 100 % perfectly cooked. Doesn't matter if you defrost it with your farts or hot water what matters is how you cook it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would it be unsafe? Just don’t drink the water.

0|0
    0|0
    • Bacteria growth.

• Show All
    • I think the best way is to defrost in the fridge for 24 hours. That's what I do.

• @Warmapplecrumble I forgot this conversation existed. Sorry OP. and sure the fridge is usually superior but not always a viable option.

• no its not it will cook the meat.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• My boyfriend is a chef and has certification in food and its safety to consumers.

He has told me that no food from freezer can be put in hot water. You must put it in a separate bowl and that bowl can sit in cold water to defrost.

Hot water defrosting will unevenly defrost the meat and make it reach the danger zone for bacteria to thrive in.

Also you cannot re-freeze same item again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a good idea

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes