Defrosting pork in hot water?

I told my friend it's not safe to defrost pork or any meat in hot water, but he disagrees and is continuing to defrost it in hot water.

What are your. Thoughts?

37

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends how big a piece of meat it is, and for how long he's defrosting it. The two major problems is time, and having the exterior defrost faster. You mentioned it yourself; Bacteria growth. If it's a small piece however, or if it isn't frozen solid.. then it could be fine.. given it's quick, and/or returned to the fridge if it isn't to be used immediately.. There's a whole science behind it. 😌

Most Helpful Girl

• According to the usda thawing in warm water is not only faster than thawing in the refrigerator it may also result in better tasting meat according to their research. Just don’t make the water so hot it cooks the outside and make sure that it is thoroughly thawed out. So usda is good with it.