Do you eat out or do you cook your own food?

Since I happen to have a rather passive job and a flexible schedule thanks to working from home, I often find myself with a lot of free time on my hands.

When I moved away I figured that I might as well start cooking my own meals to cut down on the excess of my free time.
I eventually ended up not eating out at all, save for the occasional baguette I grab on my way grocery shopping.

I have never since found myself starving for a restaurant meal, in fact I find that cooking at home is not only so much more economic but also much more to my liking.

But I notice a lot of people I know aren't really into preparing their own meals.
Either because they don't have the time to or simply because they prefer to dine out.

How about you?
Do you make any particular dishes you are proud of?
Does most of what you eat come from your own kitchen or do you opt to mostly eat out?
  • I mostly eat out
  • I mostly prepare my own food
  • Bitch, I Gordon Ramsay it up in here every day!
    Vote C
If you eat out do you have a particular place you like to go to or just go wherever you feel like at the moment?

94

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm the chef of the household, so most of what my family and I eat are home-cooked meals. I'm rather proud of my cooking skills (and I'm not the only one who commends them). :D I've mastered some pretty tough dishes--e. g., Bearnaise sauce, traditional Boeuf Bourguignon, Baked Alaska, Macarons (not so much difficult as hellishly tedious), and--my pride and joy--Pan-Roasted Sriracha Octopus (I'm talking whole, Pacific octopus here).

I do go out to eat from time to time, but only when there's an occasion for it (e. g., night out with friends, the once-in-a-blue moon date).

• Hah, I figured I might have overstated my ability to cook.
      I mostly just subject meats to various degrees of heat (grill, sous vide) and couple them with a side of lentils and leafy greens.
      I actually like making snack food the most, like homemade jerky or gravlax on crackers.

I never got to mess around with food when I was living with my family.
      My mother was a vegetarian and my father ate at work, so any kind of experimentation was deemed a waste of money.
      It wasn't until I moved out that I started spending extra on food and appliances.