Why do poor people eat a lot of junk food?

I don’t understand.

I mean, eating super healthy is expensive, yeah, but buying a meal at mcdonalds is more expensive?

like, if our family of three goes to mcdonalds we order about 20-30 euros worth of food. If we eat a homecooked meal it costs anywhere between 10-20.

i don’t get it?
Updates:
People saying it’s cheaper; no it’s not. Read the entire q.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• It works differently in different countries and it's also depending on how much competition it's in the marked. In many countries junk food is actually much cheaper than healthy properly food. Fat and sugar is often cheaper than vegetables.

In my country vegetables grown in my country or in other Western countries can sometimes be a bit expensive because the farmers' payment. In some countries with the right climate to grow sugar the workers don't have as many rights and often earns lesser making it lesser expensive. There's probably other reasons too that I don't know about.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• McDonald's is cheap tho esp with the dollar menu. One home cooked meal for 2 people cost about from 3-10$ for the meat, around 5$ for the veg. Not to mention anything else is want to pair with it. Whereas I can get like 5 burgers for around 5 dollars and that's more than enough for one meal. So while some people make it expensive to eat out, other people do eat out because it's cheaper.

Also, I could go cheap and buy ramen noodles and eat those all the time and that's home cooked but not significantly more healthy than eating McDonald's. It's really just how you look at things.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• Part of the reason people are poor is because they don't understand how to be fiscally responsible. They usually buy expensive stuff like clothes and TVs too, but still live in a shack

1|0
    2|1
    • Ya but that’s to compensate and keep up the little status they have left. If you live in a shitty house but wear nice clothes, all you gotta do is avoid inviting people over and they’ll never know you’re poor.

• Show All
    • I get what you’re saying. I’ve experienced the same people, and some will just never learn. The best thing to do is make sure their children, who are impressionable, will take a different course in life.

• Yeah, they learn much easier

• Eating healthy is expensive as fuck here in the US junk food is less expensive (not talking about McDonald's, but food products that are healthy vs. The Unhealthy stuff that you would normally find in the story) especially when your talking about feeding a family

3|0
    0|0
  • Fast food is more expensive only in some countries. In America there're lots of fast food chains (5Guys, Arbys, burger joint etc.) They have to compete, cheaper, shittier ingredients = more profits, unhealthy products.

1|1
    0|0
  • Food is expensive here in my country no matter what...

1|1
    0|0
    • You swedish? (Hej! :)) sweden is expensive, I heard a big mac was 7,80 euros? (Or crowns, not quite sure...)

• Around 7,80€ yeah in SEK it's around 76kr but I never eat at McDonald's.. It's shitty food...

• The cost to eat real healthy is extreme. You buy few foods to make a meal and the price for food is over $100 hundreds or more it's shame and why the price of food is so high cause cost of gasoline and diesel fuel is high and it takes trucks to bring foods to the grocery stores.

0|1
    0|0
  • It cost to live healthy. There was a time where vegetables, fruits were cheapest bit now its more expensive. U can get a salad for 7 bucks at fast food places but u can get burger fries and drink for 4 bucks

1|0
    1|0
  • Its tasty. Releases dopamine which helps you feel good. Something might be healthy and not taste that good.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think there's a time and motivation thing.

On the whole, junk food is quicker and requires much less effort.

0|0
    0|0
  • People are mostly addicted to it, their are studies on this very topic

1|1
    0|0
  • Fat and sugar are incredibly cheap ingredients so foods high in these will inevitably be cheaper

0|1
    0|0
  • Thankyou,
    I know, and they smoke and have pets, it makes me wonder if they're the stupid ones or I am!

0|0
    0|0
  • The dollar menu is infinitely cheaper than buying healthy food. Pay attention.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ya but like, even if we were to order off the dollar menu, no one is going to eat just one burger. No one is going to get food without a drink. So eventually it’ll still be more expensive

• May be cus junk food is tastier than healthy ones... and they are less body consious.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's cheaper. I don't think poor people eat McDonalds but the cheap food at supermarket.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its easier than cooking healthy

1|0
    0|0
  • Junk food is cheaper

1|0
    1|0
  • Because thats the only thing they can afford

0|0
    0|0
  • Dont know

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s ready made but loaded with fat and preservatives and only cheap in places they go like dollar stores

1|0
    0|0
  • people go for what's quick and easy. Some people value their time more than their money and would rather get fast food than have to spend time cooking it themselves

2|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 14

• It’s not just “poor people” who do that and it’s usually about convenience and being lazy. It’s easy to go order a meal at a fast food restaurant rather than going cook after work. I see a lot of people with food stamps getting baskets full of frozen food, snacks, junk, bunch of juices, etc. whereas I also have food stamps and mostly buy a bunch of fruit and veggies. It depends on the persons mentality

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know about other families but throughout the "poor" part of my life, my family has sticked on homemade food and anything like kfc or McDonald's was completely forgotten in my fam *well still is*
    Because you're right, it's more expensive but it depends on the country, as junk food is cheaper in the US

1|0
    0|0
  • cheaper and easier to get.
    u gotta put work into making a healthy home cooked meal.
    if you're poor, you most likely don't have the means to make the same type of meal a well off family can.

0|1
    0|0
    • Ya but as I said, it’s often cheaper?

• I don't know I mean here in the US fast food is cheaper.
      The produce at my grocery store is unreasonably priced for the mediocre quality it is.
      I know things like rice and beans are cheap and doable. But its also not what most people would want to eat too.

• Home cooked food costs the price of the groceries, the gas being spent from the cooking, the water later after you wash the dishes and time.

So better off eating McDonald's.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it’s got anything to do with being poor/rich. I have one friend who’s got a lot of money, she’s always out at takeaways and eating loads of junk. It’s got nothing to do with money..

1|0
    0|0
  • Because they don't have money for expensive food?

But as long as I know poor people do not eat junk food, they just eat small portions.

How do you think they'd eat something that harms them if they had another choice?

0|0
    1|0
  • In places like the USA junk food is cheaper than vegetables and all- that's partially the reason for this whole obesity epedemic.

1|0
    0|0
  • In order to have a home cooked meal you must have a home.

0|0
    0|0
  • Junk food is easier to obtain and is affordable by almost everyone.

0|1
    0|0
  • Poor people don't eat a lot of junk Good, I find that "poor" people are the ones who eat more healthy. "Rich" people eat more junk food.

0|0
    0|0
    • No chance, that's just totally wrong

• Show All
    • Fatty foods like takeaways are way more expensive, so either I'm overweight ( which I'm obviously not) or I don't eat healthy? Which is BS cause I always eat healthy.

• Maybe you aren't as poor as you think you are?

• Healthy food cost more then junk food,

0|0
    1|0
  • Cheaper.

0|0
    0|0
  • Eating super healthy food doesn't have to be expensive. Poor by definition meaning like most people eat fast food. So most people are poor then?

1|0
    0|0
  • because it is cheap

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes