Do you leave your egg shells in the carton?

My roommate does this all the time and it drives me up the damn wall. You mind as well leave compost in the fridge. He says that it is fine and it doesn't do anything to the eggs. I just think he is lazy.
  • No. I think that is absolutely disgusting and it should be thrown in the compost.
  • Yeah. I don't see a problem with it.
  • I don't eat eggs
    Vote C

54

Most Helpful Girl

• That must be really annoying. How hard is it to put it in the frickin trash?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is what the egg farmers association of Canada says on this issue: Always Keep Eggs in their Carton
    We know a lot of people like to throw away the egg carton when they get home and store their eggs in the little egg caddy that comes with your fridge or in a separate bowl. This may look pretty, but we recommend always storing your eggs in their original carton. Why? Firstly, the carton protects the eggs and prevents them from absorbing strong odours and flavours of other foods in your fridge through the thousands of tiny pores in the egg shell. Secondly, the Best Before Date is always visible to you so you can guarantee freshness. Lastly, eggs should always be stored with the large end up, the same way they are packaged in the carton. This helps the yolk remain centered.