What's the point of being a vegan/vegetarian?

I'm just saying, you could just buy organic/free range and grass fed meat. That's what I do. Then you're supporting companies who treat their animals well. It's better than not supporting anything. What are your reasons for being vegetarian/vegan? And what would your reasons be if you were to become one?
Updates:
Some people are saying things to me like "you must not care about animals" and because of that, I have to share with you this. I have 2 dogs and a rabbit. I plan on saving homeless dogs and stopping poachers of elephants and tigers when I'm older. I work at a dog shelter. Don't come at me in my messages saying I'm a "heartless bastard" lol.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It’s not that... for me it’s a texture and flavor thing... a lot of meats feel weird in my mouth or have a taste that isn’t pleasant...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 16

• Ethical reasons, they don’t want an animal to die or face exploitation for their own ends when they can find an ethical alternative. Health is also a big one. It’s better to be a very low meat intake, plant based pescatarian but it’s overall much better than your average diet.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's not 100% true for all people. I have O blood type, which means I need a lot of meat, otherwise I could get sick or something.

• Show All
    • All preserved meats, salami, ham etc is considered a carcinogen by the FDA, and other non-fish flesh is considered a likely carcinogen. We’re not naturally supposed to eat as much meat as your average human does.

• im not one but i think its like a trend right now and some people say its cause of animals but i find it kinda annoying cause a lot of people talk about how cruel it is to eat meat and how they love animals but its not like theyre actively going out and helping

0|1
    0|0
    • Im vegan and i could care less about cruelty to animals, mankind is cruel to ourselves why would animals be any different, look at the health problems assiciated with consuming meat products tho,

• I'm not vegan but technically a pescatarian I guess. I eat dairy and eggs and occasionally seafood (like once a month maybe). I haven't ate any "land animal" in over a decade.

I just don't like meat 🤷‍♀️ I don't like the textures, I don't like the flavors and seeing dead meat bleed just is not appetizing to me.

I do still cook meat daily for the carnivores in my house lol

1|1
    0|0
  • I was a vegan for years. Eventually I became a vegetarian. I still am I haven’t eaten meat in I think 23 years. I cared about animals at the time. Now I realize I’m not an animal lover and I just think eating meat is gross. I don’t force it on anyone. I cook meat for my family.

1|2
    0|0
  • People do it because they don’t like the thought of animals dying period rather than the concept of free range. Free range and organic animals still are killed even though they have a good life. I personally just view eating livestock as a natural part of the cycle of life but I try to eat less meat because that’s how people’s diets were in the past and raising animals in crammed factories is just plain awful

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't know why each person who is a vegan/vegetarian - each have their own reasons. I know I don't eat many meats - not because I don't want too but because of health reasons. I wouldn't worry about it, we all have different views.

0|1
    0|0
  • My dad and I went vegan back on November 1st because it helps cure type 2 diabetes and helps prevent heart disease. He has type 2 diabetes and I had heart defects at birth so I'm likely to have other heart complication. Not to mention the weight loss. The first month I lost 11 lbs. Though, I will say, be careful. Make sure you still get protein (supplement vitamin) because I didn't for the first week of being on it. November 1st to the 6th. The morning of November 6th at 4AM I had a Grand Mal seizure that lasted 5 minutes. 6 days later I was in the hospital

0|2
    0|0
    • Thanks for this story... Gave me a new perspective on some vegans and why they might be vegan.

• Show All
    • It’s fine, baby cakes is off clearly.

Keeps sharing the story

• Take care and get well soon :)

• Some people have allergies to certain foods. I know some in my family can't eat meat, they get pretty sick. If vegan food makes me feel better, than that's the diet I'll stick with. I don't care about fads or if I'm fat... just want to feel good.

0|2
    0|0
  • They believe that killing animals in and of itself is cruel.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, they also believe plants are not alive, I guess.

• Show All
    • Ah the pleasure of being forgotten.
      That comment was necessary because I hadn't returned to the discussion for a day or too and when I came back it looked like it has gone in a weird direction where quora is being cited as an acknowledgeable reference.
      I felt that I needed to detach myself from this.
      Sorry if that meant first reminding you that I existed :p

• @jacquesvol I’m not vegan

• The point is I doubt one vegan will shut down an entire metropollis of economic scandal and cruelty. Cheap food is cheap food.

0|1
    0|0
  • A vegan diet is very sustainable for our planet as it cuts down our carbon, water and energy footprint.

Surprising fact; coffee beans and animal agriculture are the top factors that are hurting our environment.

(Majoring in Sustainability at ASU)

There are some companies that are aiming to help lower this carbon and water footprint by using plant-based products to create our favorite products; JUST incorporate has used AI technology to produce cookie dough, eggs and mayo from ancient grains and beans in a way that modifies them to make them taste similar (but they taste like a healthier version). The JUST inc. also feeds many places with their local product at 10 cents a meal with their main focus being to build a business in a local areas using local farmers. It's great, if you want more information or have any questions I have their email that I can message you. They are a company thats building fast!

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not vegan or vegetarian I love meat.

0|1
    0|0
  • i just dont feel like eatin meat ok

0|1
    0|0
  • I always woonder why people eat the flesh of dead animals in the first place. It is certainly not needed nutritionally for the human body, as a rule its not eaten raw or for that matter eaten without seasonings or an awful lot of stuff to make it actually taste good.
    But, back to your question there are lots of reasons vegetarians are vegetarians.
    1. Environmental inpact

A single cow used for milk can drink up to 50 gallons of water per day—or twice that amount in hot weather—and it takes 683 gallons of water to produce just 1 gallon of milk. It takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of beef,
    It takes up to 10 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat, and in the United States alone, 56 million acres of land are used to grow feed for animals, while only 4 million acres are producing plants for humans to eat.

U. S. factory farms produce about 500 million tons of manure each year. With no animal sewage processing plants, it is most often stored in waste “lagoons” Runoff from factory farms and livestock grazing is one of the leading causes of pollution in our rivers and lakes.
    Factory farms frequently dodge water pollution limits by spraying liquid manure into the air, creating mists that are carried away by the wind.

1|0
    0|0
    • You are very wrong about meat needing "an awful lot of stuff" to make it good. Most chefs agree you should only use salt and pepper on meat and when I cook vegetables I need to use salt and pepper for them so realistically they are the same in that regard.
      There is a pretty popular theory that the human brain began to evolve to it's current state by the aid of eating cooked meat rather than raw.

• Show All
    • The US is not exactly the best example of how to raise cattle however. Most US cattle are grain-fed. Grass fed cattle tend to be happier and healthier (both themselves and their meat), and typically roam in decently sized paddocks, which removes some of the issues with manure. Fertilizer pollution from other types of farms, including vegetable farms is a big issue as well. As well, much land is unsuitable to grow vegetables (there are classifications and grades for these things) so it is either animals (which can actually raise the grades of the land if done properly) or nothing. There are unfortunately problems on both sides of the equation.

• Also to be taken into consideration the huge amount of produce that are being wasted every year.
      The problem is actually a lot deeper than how it appears.

• Seriously...

0|0
    0|0
  • I understand why people choose free range but it’s more complex than most think. Companies are allowed to say their meat is free range, but that doesn’t mean the animals are in a grass field on large acres of land. They can still be in factories in tight areas, they’re just not confined and they can still be abused. I highly recommend people who want free range, to do research on the company. It makes me mad that someone wants to support free range, but they’re supporting a company who isn’t being completely honest to make easy money. I’m personally vegetarian because I’ve never been a fan of meat and it grosses me out a little. Also, I’m not comfortable with an animal living a miserable life of torture and abuse, so I can have a few minutes of mouth pleasure. I like alternatives more than regular meat, so I just stick to that and it’s great that restaurants are serving them too. I think it’s great that companies do free range, but make sure you research them to support a company that really does it.

0|1
    0|0
    • I buy from a company (forget the name) but you can literally go and see their farms and see how they do it. There's videos on it and everything. I get what you're saying though.

What Guys Said 13

• Chances are if they are vegan or vegetarian they do buy organic. I really don't get this "supporting companies" point you're trying to make. A lot of "free range" animal product is bull shit the animals still live horrible lives until they are slaughtered. And that's the whole point why most veggies don't eat meat because something had to die.
    I think the meat industry is incredibly fucked up but that doesn't mean I'm not going to eat meat though

1|0
    0|0
    • So you're against animals being killed, but not against plants being killed? I know the numbers are different in population, but in the end something is still being killed. It's just the way life works. You can't have life without death.

• plants are in no way alive like you or I or a cow. And i said I eat meat

• Can be a religious decision. Environmental footprint is smaller. It used to be about not putting market pressure on meat / crule conditions on animals.. but with globalization I don't think that argument stands well anymore sadly. Some people are also hyper aware they are eating something that was alive and its disturbing / unappetizing for them to eat it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm a 100% with you on this. I'm a nature lover (just so long as you keep the bugs away)... and am an omnivore. It's my natural position in the food chain, and doesn't mean I lack compassion for even those that I eat.
    Vegans and vegetarians are of course entitled to their lifestyles and food choices. And I'm fine with them up until the moment they start preaching me. I mean what am I to eat then? Rocks and dirt? Or are we to consider flora lives less valuable than fauna?

0|0
    0|0
  • Any vegans posting saying she's a animal hater.. fuck off she is entitled to eat however she wants. Oh and ps some plants have a nervous system in there stems and trunks and leaves. But some do not because meat doesn't digest properly some do it for health benefits. Some for weight loss. Some for ethical and moral reasons. Some for ecology reasons. Some climate. Reasons. Some I think just to be able to say I'm a vegan and you an asshole for eating meat. Those people are the ones we hate.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ethical considerations are the standard reasons, they don't want animals to die to feed them. I would never become a vegetarian by choice. I live in Australia, most of the country cannot grow vegetables (the soil is not good enough), it is meat or nothing on that land (and we keep on building houses on our decent land...). Thus having large proportions of the population go vegetarian would be a major issue. Also, I would prefer that an animal lived a good life and died humanely at the end (to become food) than never lived at all (which is unfortunately, due to the economics of farming, the most likely other choice)

0|2
    0|0
  • Because, animal products are super bad for you, do the research

0|0
    1|1
    • So, protein is bad for you? What the hell even was this opinion lol.

• Show All
    • Do your homework, this is not a new idea

• Just out of curiosity which of the most powerful animals are vegan? Apes eat meat, the big cats eat meat, elephants and rhinos are vegetarian but certainly not vegan and whales most certainly are neither

• they only do it so they can feel superior to everyone else

0|0
    0|1
  • I can go vegan time to time and it's just for health benefits, that's all

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't really know. I think it's better to just buy good meats

0|0
    0|0
  • If your sensitive to many foods then it's a much healthier way to go if your actually able to take the meal planning seriously

0|0
    0|0
  • I kinda feel like you're missing the point.

0|0
    0|0
  • Vegetarian is always healthy than meat

0|0
    0|0
    • Reason being?

• Show All
    • I'm pretty ok with both though :)
      Make sure you're not allergic to any of those.

• 👍 yup

• Well, some people have a hard time digesting meats and fats, so they resort to that. (Though going strictly vegan isn't healthy, contrary to popular belief)

The best possible diet I know of it's ketogenic, which has helped me in so many ways.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes