How to overcome binge eating?

Short explanation: I need help overcoming binge eating and getting back to having balanced meals. Advice from anyone who overcame this would be greatly appreciated!

Long explanation:
This is absolutely ridiculous because I'm studying nutrition in school, and yet I can't control my own damn self when it comes to sugary foods. My weight has fluctuated drastically in the last year. I've struggled with severe depression which spiraled into a problem with binge eating a couple years ago. After being put on a specific medication for depression (just one of many I've tried), my appetite plummeted and I lost 20 pounds (9 kilos) in a week and a half. My weight stayed like that for like 6 months and when I went off the medication, my weight stayed the same for another 6 months. That was because my stomach had shrunken so much and I only needed small meals to be satisfied. Nowadays I have gained all 20 pounds back, I'm happily off meds but am struggling again with constantly shoving large quantities of food into my mouth. Any advice from anyone who's overcome binge eating?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I struggle with this. My problem is I can’t find a place in the middle. I starve myself for long periods of time and lose weight, then my mind set will suddenly switch and I’ll binge eat and eat way too much before gaining the weight back, and this is so troubling both mentally and physically. I would say it’s important that you don’t restrict it over eat. Meal planning is great for me. You can make meals say in the morning time to last you the entire day, and just grab one bag with the meal in it for breakfast, then get one for lunch, dinner, and get some for snacks. That way your calorie intake is already planned before the day starts, and you have the meals already made and in bags so you don’t over or under do it. Also for binge eating, try not to have junk food and such in your house to begin with. That way you can’t just walk to the kitchen and grab a bad food. Monitor what is even in your house so you don’t have the option of over doing it. Good luck!

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 2

• I do not keep trigger foods in my house. I do my best to meal plan. If I find myself trying to avoid the kitchen, I will meditate. Or stretch. Something to try to keep my mind off of it. Tracking my food and journaling has helped a lot too. I'm down 40 pounds, and this is the first time in my life that's ever happened. I've had BED since I was 11.

0|0
    0|0
  • I deal with the same issue. Find balance in your diet and don't restrict yourself. Don't keep the foods you tend to binge on around.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes