Different ways to cook chicken? Also different flavourings and seasoning to cover the chicken before cooking?

Chicken is cheap, but I haven't got that much imagination with cooking foods. I'm trying to stop buying processed foods, and try different things. The other week I cooked chicken in lemon juice, which ended up being really tender and juicy, however the lemon was a bit too over powering for me but don't really know combinations that well. Whenever I look at recipes it never describes what to use it just says "season it" and I'm always like with what just salt and pepper, or rosemary, basil or oregano, parsley I have no idea about it all do I add chives or spring onions, what exactly is, "season it," to you.

42

Most Helpful Guy

• The very first thing you should do for any poultry or pork is brine the meat. In a large bowl or food grade container, add 8 litres of cold water, to the water add 1/4 C of both salt (pickling salt or kosher salt are best) and add a 1/4 C of white sugar. Stir until dissolved, place your meat in the brine and allow soak for about an hour. This will season the meat. tenderize it and help the meat to retain it's natural juices while cooking. If you go on line and search seasoning mixes and rubs I'm sure you'll find a combination that appeals to you. Prepare the seasoning mix, apply to your meat before cooking. Always use an instant read thermometer to ensure proper cooking and also to ensure you don't over cook your meat. The internal temperature for properly cooked chicken should be 74 C & pork should be 60 C.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are many ways to season a chicken, as the one said brine is best to do with any poultry or pork... however you can bake your chicken or you can fry your chicken... with my family seasoning can range from frying with a breading or frying in butter with any combination of spices, to baking with skin on and seasoned with spices to baking with no skin and seasoning.
    There are seasoning kits you can buy in your local grocery stores by McCormick, this is what helped my daughter in law learn how to season her meats.
    My personal favorite baked chicken recipe is:
    4 chicken breasts brined
    About 16-18 Small red potatoes
    1 medium red onion sliced thinly
    2 teaspoons rosemary
    1/2 teaspoons celery seed
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Mix all ingredients pour over chicken breasts onions and potatoes bake 400 for an hour