For the EU crowed: Is it more fiscally responsible to often go out to eat and use coupons or to buy groceries and make meals at home?

For the EU crowed: Is it more fiscally responsible to often go out to eat and use coupons or to buy groceries and make meals at home?
  • Meals at home, obviously...
    Vote A
  • Eating out with some coupons, obviously...
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• For starters, I have no idea of the availability of coupons.

Rest of it, depends on where you live.

Scandinavian countries are unbelievably expensive when it comes to going out eating. McDonalds quickly costs over 60/70 euros.

Where I live (The Netherlands) prices are manageable for both. Generally it's cheaper to buy groceries and making meals at home though. It really depends on where you live. In touristy places it's going to be far more expensive to go out.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, thank you. A reasonable answer.

• Show All
    • No idea which countries they compared, but it would be weird to take North-America and our neighbor countries, but not Scandinavia in the study.

• True, true. I know for a fact that Scandinavia is ridiculously expensive so it's weird to not see them up there

Most Helpful Girl

• I get coupons from @splashofyellow completely free, so if I have coupons to cover for the whole dinner, and I usually do, it's obviously cheaper than buying groceries and making food at home. But otherwise eating out is always more expensive.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

What Girls Said 4

• In some southern countries eating out is pretty cheap, however it will always be cheaper to make food at home. Especially in western Europe, eating out is super expensive and rarely done. In the Netherlands, people only eat out at very special occasions like birthdays.

1|0
    0|0
  • I get lunch vouchers from work technically for free that are about 8 euros in value so if I would just eat using those, that would obviously be cheaper. If I would use those daily, though, one wouldn't be enough for a whole meal.

1|0
    0|0
  • The answer is... Both

From an economics point of view, if more people are eating out because they're encouraged to by coupons, it means that they're spending money out in the wider community. As well as their coupon meal they'll probably buy a drink, maybe a dessert, perhaps there's a store they like nearby or a cinema. That "two for $15" just earnt the community around $60.

BUT for the individual, it's far cheaper and more fiscally responsible to eat at home. A meal that would cost $35 for two eating out is probably $15 if that at home. Eating at home is responsible & encourages planning ahead both for money & lifestyle, plus it's better in the long run *for the individual*. Soo the answer, much like everything in life, isn't one or the other, but a balance..

Going out when you can afford it and planning things you like to eat/can make and can afford to make the rest of the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Eating at home is cheaper

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes