Do you eat food after the "use by date" and "expiry date" ?

Do you eat food after the "use by date" and "expiry date " ?
Do you eat food after the "use by date" and "expiry date" ?

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• If the date is "use by", I would never recommend eating said food item after it. That's usually used for meats and it's quite strict. If you're not gonna eat or cook with it, throw it in the freezer.

If it's best before I'll use it if it doesn't smell or taste funny and it hasn't been too long.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I freeze a lot of meat I can't eat before the expiration date, so I might eat that even months after the date. I wouldn't eat anything after the expiration date if it wasn't frozen, though. I eat products past their use by date (I think this is the same as best before? We have different terms for them here) all the time. It's just a suggestion and often the products are good a few days or even a week after the use by date.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 30

• I do not eat food past the expiry date. I do, however, eat food past the "best before" date. There's a reason that the expiry date exists and is a thing and I usually consume my food well before that date (maybe I'd eat it a day late if it was Sunday but that depends in the product).

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah. The use-by/sell by isn't even an ACTUAL expiration date. It's literally only there for stores to know when to turn over their inventory. Most often than not, food will be good weeks or even months after the expiration date, depending on the type of food

0|1
    0|0
    • That's not necessarily so. If it's perishable, then that date serves a shelf-life purpose. If it's bread or something, it's for freshness.

• Before expiry dates were invented, people used to eat food way after the date you would find on products now, and there would rarely be a problem as long aa they were frozen/ refridgerated etc. Pretty sure expiry dates were invented so that markets can't be held liable for anything that happens after the specified date

0|1
    0|0
  • Ewww no lol
    Even though its not spoiled. Cause the date most often indicates freshness. Shelf life

The food usually tastes different, yuky lol. And it ruins it for me

Ill finish whatever it is before the date 😛 And get a fresh one

0|1
    0|0
  • Sometimes, it's not like too long after the use by dates like milk and eggs, it's a week past. I used to drink real root beer weeks after, only because the flavor is a lot better.

0|1
    0|0
    • Eggs can last in the fridge for weeks after I've brought them home.

• Show All
    • If I'm being good and fixing breakfast, yes. If I'm slacking and having whey drinks all day, I'll have all kinds of food sitting in the cupboards and fridge.

• @Ahsthen lol. It's just that my wife's cravings this pregnancy have been odd. For the longest time all she'd want was french toast.

• Yes. I have a brain and can exercise judgement. What happens exactly at the transition between 11:59PM and one minute later on the expiration date to make the food go from edible to inedible?

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on what it is and how far past it it. Milk and dairy I will always throw out right away, but chips and crackers and canned food I could care less

0|1
    0|0
    • If it doesn't smell cheesy, it's likely okay. Even if it does, it might be okay, just tangy.

• If It is still fine i do.
    Except Meat because it says "consume until..." And Not "at least consume leider until..." and i dont want to become sick of it

0|0
    0|0
  • " Use by " items are not to be consumed after the date...
    "Best before" can be...

0|1
    0|0
  • Not too often sometimes milk lasts for me i use it past the expiration date.

0|0
    0|0
  • All the time but I tend to smell it first and I have an iron stomach

0|0
    0|0
  • No I always end up throwing a lot away and it pisses me off lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Potato and that kind of things don't have expiry date.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah smell check, and check for moulds.

0|2
    0|0
  • Eww No

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, most things. Unless it's really far past.

0|1
    0|0
  • Do you have a death wish?
    What a nutty geezer.

0|0
    0|0
  • No...

0|0
    0|0
  • No, a big NO.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, and it's quite dangerous to do so

0|0
    0|0
  • You'd better believe it! I'm so gross!

0|0
    0|0
  • All depends what it is...

0|1
    0|0
  • In between

0|0
    0|0
  • All the time

0|1
    0|0
  • I use them before date if I don't freeze them

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes

0|0
    0|0
  • No never

0|0
    0|0
  • Never

0|0
    0|0
  • I do not

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• It's usually gone by that time haha

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends what it is. However having worked in professional catering I also know how harsh those guidelines are taken to the other extreme. Some things should never be chanced, others are absolutely fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. As long as it doesn’t look or smell funky it’s fine.

0|2
    0|0
  • eh it depends. milk, only if it smells good. I don't use meat after best by date, nor cheese. chips and stuff yes if they're not stale

0|0
    0|0
  • Mostly it depends on the food & how it was stored. It is only a best before date. It doesn't mean the food is no good.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe by a week or so. Best before has another month before it is bad. Anyways my digestive system is tough so it won't kill me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes!

0|1
    0|0
  • No not at all

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on what is if it milk then no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes