Name me some must try desserts from around the world?

I'm one who enjoies trying varying ethnic cuisines. I'm also one who always likes to leave room for dessert when going out to eat. I've been cutting off sweets, but a several friends and I are looking to dine out for a catch up date and I've got myself a sweet tooth craving... so please, do share your favorites as well as naming what country the dessert comes from.

My top 10 favorites are:
1. Martabak Manis/Apam Balik (an Indonesian/Malysian street food pancake that is loaded with things like crushed peanuts, chocolate chips, condensed milk and far too much calories lol)

2. Pisang Goreng (translated to English, it's deep fried banana. It's from Indonesian/Malysia and it's usually dipped in honey, coated in a batter and fried golden)

3. Patbingsu (It's a Korean dessert that consists of milk based fine shaved ice and topped off with a variety of toppings like fruits, mochi, sweet fruit puree, crushed nuts... etc.

4. Halo-halo (It's a heavenly Filipino shaved ice sundae!)

5. Turon (It's a sweet Filipino springroll that consists of banana and jackfruit!)

6. Mille Feuille Crepe Cake (There's this French cafe I go to that makes thee best mocha one 😍)

7. Carlota (A Mexican icebox cake, I've got a friend who makes a sublime lime one!)

8. Tartufo (A true favorite Italian ice cream dessert of mine!)

9. Lamington (A spin on a sponge cake with a nice cream filling. Usually chocolate in flavor, but I enjoy lemon or raspberry more)

10. TangYuan (A glutinous rice ball dessert that dosen't contain or can contain fillings like red bean/black sesame/peanut paste... and is eaten in a warm ginger and rock sugar syrup)

2|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh gosh Mille fuelle 😍😍😍, tricky one to make I screw it up quite often lol.

Not really a dessert (well it can be), but have you ever had a Cronut? They’re amazing, basically croissant pastry that is deep fried like a doughnut and filled. Think it technically comes from America (invented in NYC I believe).

And bubble wrap ice cream, which comes from HK... egg waffle wrapped in a cone with multiple different flavours of ice cream stuffed inside it 🤤

1|0
    0|0
    • Haha yes! I've gone to NY and went to Domonique Ansel Bakery to try his very own creation 🙂

And haha being fairly close to P-mall, yes, I'm fairly familiar with HK bubble waffles of varying flavors and topped off with ice cream 😋

Most Helpful Girl

• Have to have pavlova, though the origin is always argued between Australia and New Zealand 😉

My most favourite ever cake is a Russian Napoleon cake... if you like mille feuille you’d love this cake but I’ve never found one in a store here, I’ve had to make it and it takes so long 😂
    letthebakingbeginblog.com/.../

And probably babka which is like a bread that’s swirled with chocolate and topped with chunks of cinnamon-sugar like a crumble 🤤 I think it’s Eastern European.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for MHO 😊 did you end up finding something to try?

• Ended up going to a cafe that serves millie crepes with unique varieties of ice cream. But I do have your pavlova booked marked to be a dessert that I try to bake 😋

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• My favorites are all pretty boring but also classic in my opinion. I'm mostly leaning towards Italian cuisine when it comes to desserts:
    - Panna Cotta (I usually make it myself with real vanilla rather than the fake one)
    - Tiramiú (I also make that myself)
    - Chocolate mousse
    - Zabaglione

Other than that I like Kaiserschmarrn from Austria, which is rather difficult to describe. It's basically a very fluffy, shredded pancake. It's also popular in Hungary and other parts of the former empire.

And finally something very classical from my country Switzerland (besides the obvious): Vermicelles. It's extremely popular here but it seems completely unknown anywhere else (except maybe in southern Germany and France). I couldn't even find an English wikipedia page for it. It's basically a mousse/purée of cooked sweet chestnuts. The purée is refined with sugar, vanilla and Kirsch (liquor). It is then pressed through a type of sieve that shapes it into something like cooked spaghetti ("vermicelles" originates from "vermiculus" which means worms).

By the way, Turon comes from Spain, not the Philippines. It's quite popular in Spain too. They probably brought it there during the colonization ;-).

1|0
    0|0
  • Here's a classic: Baqlava AKA Baglawa.
    It's an originally Turkic dessert that is popular in the Middle East among other places. It's a pastry made out of layers of a thin pastry and drenched in a sweet syrup or honey, and is usually loaded with nuts in between some layers. There are different variations depending on the location.

In some variations, there is way too Mach ground nuts, and sometimes people add rose water. Not a big fan of that specific variation, but it's not so bad though.

My mom makes it specifically with peanuts and honey. I haven't had that one in so long!

1|0
    0|0
    • Baklava is usually a hit or miss for me for sometimes I've had variants where it was overpoweringly sweet. But an ex of mine who was part Greek had his mum who made lovely pistachio baklava which I loved!!

• You should totally try out this yummy treat called ‘Ice Cream’.

Very tasty and comes in a variety of flavors 😛

1|0
    0|0
  • You can have all that Afro-Euro-South-Asian-Indo-Swahili ethno bullshit. I'll just have my cheesecake and be happy.

0|0
    2|0
    • Such a basic Ameriacn boy 😑. Don't tell me you're a plain NY cheesecake kinda guy... at least name me a flavor... like raspberry white chocolate?

• Show All
    • Okay, I see where I may have hit a nerve. Sorry for calling you "basic", your response just came off rude when I first read it. But as I said, you're entitled to their own opinions and taste. Living in a country where diversity is hard to run away from however, it's hard to segregate oneself to their own culture. However, I have always felt that where Canada and America divide in embracing cultures is that Canda is seen as a "melting pot" and America is seen as a "mosaic".

But hey, I love cheesecake as well and am happy that The Cheescake Factory made it's way to opening in Toronto.

• I honestly didn't mean to be rude, I was really just goofing on the ethnic food fetish that so many urbanites seem to have. A lot of people consider it a status symbol to have eaten at the newest Indian restaurant or the cool Sudanese place that just opened up. I get tired of it all partly because it's a "scene" and because if you don't know how to order off the menu in Farsi and know all the customs you're seen as some sort of rube.

• Milk Tart (South African creamy pie, with cinnamon.)
    Koeksisters ( South African Syrup soaked twists.)
    Salted Peanut Butter Brownie Bites (Cayman Islands)
    Icing on Rum Cake ( Cayman Islands)..

1|0
    0|0
  • Pakistani famous Desserts :
    Sohan Ka Halwa
    i.ytimg.com/vi/HSeujgHJ-4s/maxresdefault.jpg

Gajar ka Halwa. Gajar means : Carrot
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../...%28carrot_halwa%29.JPG

and gulaab Jaamun :
    www.spoonforkandfood.com/.../...amun.1024x1024.jpg

2|0
    0|0
  • HALO- HALO!!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Papanasi from Romania. Google it 😁

1|0
    0|0
    • I looked it up and it seems to resemble a jelly filled doughnut!! But my gosh it looks scrumptious haha

• Yes they are absolutely delicious

• They are freshly made to order, they don't sit on a shelf

• Cremè brûlée - France

Flan - Mexico

1|0
    0|0
  • Canoli’s 🤤🤤🤤

2|0
    0|0
  • Clotted cream. Rhubarb pie.

1|0
    0|0
  • My favourite is tiramisu from Italy 😍🇮🇹

1|0
    0|0
  • google it. ain't nobody got time for this

0|0
    1|0
  • Cookies?

0|0
    0|0
  • Tubby Custard

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Orangenquark. One of my faves. Its a bunch of oranges and orange liquor (I use grand Marnier) with ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, milk, and sugar. Blend it all together. Throw in some orange slices. If I'm not mistaken, its Bavarian. But if it didn't originate in Bavaria, its still definitely German.

1|0
    0|0
  • Panna Cotta! It's Italian I believe. Imagine a pudding/barely set jello made of sweetened cream. It's delicious.

1|1
    0|0
  • Cendol, ais kacang, karipap, onde-onde, keropok lekor from malaysia.

1|0
    0|0

• Malva Pudding - Rich buttery syrup laden cake - from S. A

1|0
    0|0
  • Paris-brest, it's a French pastry (I'm not sure of the word)
    Italian mousse ice cream

1|0
    0|0
  • Ooh I wish I could try just half of those lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Blakva

1|0
    0|0
  • Arroz con Leche!! It’s Mexican

1|0
    0|0