Are you a good tipper when you eat out at a restaurant?

I try to be but of course it depends on how good the service was.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm from Japan we don't tip. They actually get offended if we tip they give it back to you asap.. I don't understand why tipping. They already get their wage that's why no one in Japan likes that. You get what you work and the owner have to pay not clients!

0|1
    0|0
    • I've heard that before. It's a much better system I think.

• Show All
    • I live in Vermont (no that is not a city... Yes it is a state) and waiters and waitresses get 6.50 per hour. tips cover the rest. Although the restaurant I work at requires the waiters and waitresses to add up there tips at the end of each night and split them evenly.

• @someguy my comment was for the other poster 😀

Most Helpful Guy

• I do, at least 20%. It can be embarrassing being out with my mom, they'll tip 10% or maybe 15%. I have handed the waitress money when my parents are walking out.

When I was in Malaysia, my ex had food delivered, and she was going to pay, but didn't have exact change. I didn't either, but we were within 1RM, which is about $0.20. I said to just let him keep the difference. We ended up arguing over less than a quarter, and it was mine anyway!
    Since it was under her name, she didn't want them expecting it I guess, because she gets food delivered often, but can't afford the extra. Instead she used a bigger denomination, and asked for change back. Which was just to avoid letting me pay for any of it.

She made it sound like I was "throwing my money around" which anyone that knows me, knows is worlds away from how I am with my money.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• I try to be. Funny story though...
    Once I was out with friends and we stopped in a little Cafe for hot chocolate. We all just got a few drinks and the service was kind of meh and barely did anything for us but then again we didn't require much anyway. Only bought like 10 dollars worth of drink.

So our stay comes to an end and we look around the table like "alright, tip, guys?"
    There were three of us there.
    I only had 10s and 20s on me. Friend 1 says "It's fine they barely did anything, we don't need to tip." I was like "Aw hell no. We are tipping." Friend 1 still is kinda just "Meh" and I'm just like "We need to at least make it look like we tried and are aware we are supposed to tip..."
    We had just come from an escape room and had gotten chocolate coins as a prize. So we gave our waitress a bunch of chocolate as a tip instead.

I felt horrible about it but didn't know what else to do (in retrospect I could have asked at the front for change but I didn't think of this) and she seemed to
    be alright with it since as we left, she held it up and said "Is this chocolate?" laughed, and ate it.

I still felt horrible about it, despite it being funny. Definitely will be more careful about taking small enough bills with me next time.

Also, we found out later that apparently friend 2 had small enough bills but misunderstood and thought we gave a real tip AND the chocolate coins. So... We actually could've tipped.
    Ouch.

TL;Dr, tipped a waitress in chocolate coins because (we thought) no one had the right size bills

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. I personally feel if you cannot afford to tip, then you shouldn’t eat at restaurants where it’s expected. It’s very rude to the wait staff. Because you’re basically telling them that servicing you is a waste of time & effort. Because we don’t actually like every person, you’re not our friends. We’re nice & courteous, because it’s our job. So it’s mutual respect to pay us for our kindness towards you.

1|1
    0|0
  • Tipping is customary and expected where I live, so yes. I typically tip 15-20%, unless the service was really poor (and it was actually the server's fault, not just a slow kitchen). For take away, I usually leave $1-$5 dollars, depending on how much food I ordered and how much I like the place.

1|1
    0|0
  • I’ve tipped as much as thirty or forty percent when given excellent service and this happens more than a few times.

I have on one occasion tipped nothing

Bare minimum service gets bare minimum tip

I expect notable service for a notable tip.

1|1
    0|0
  • I am always a good tipper, i have tipped over 100 dollars for great service and if I was at a bar for a while even if my tab was small but I always tip about 20 dollars when I'm out. The server has to be doing a damn bad job for me to not tip well.

0|1
    0|0
    • Oh my god I just read other people's responses, i cannot believe it is acceptable to so many people to not at least tip 10 dollars.

• Yeah. I used to be a server so I usually leave between $5-$10 regardless of what the bill was. I care more about the service but you could be a total bitch and I’d still give you at least a $1.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yep. I'm usually 20% or higher, but will go down to 10% for bad service (meaning something that is in the server's control).

0|1
    0|0
  • I'll go anywhere from 0% (bad service, rude server) to over 30% for someone who goes out of their way to make my dining experience pleasurable !!!

0|1
    0|0
  • In our country (Germany) we tip servers only for good service and usually just round up the sum (47 to 50) So I would say No

0|1
    0|0
  • I try to be but im always a bit cheaper than i should be

0|1
    0|0
  • No :(

1|2
    0|1
  • Yeah I tip at least 24%

0|1
    0|0
  • Usually 20% unless the service was poor

0|1
    0|0
  • Larger of $5 or 20%

0|1
    1|0
  • Yup.

0|1
    0|0
  • If I paid, I would

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes...

0|1
    0|0
  • If the service is good I am a good tipper.

0|1
    0|0
  • No not enough

0|1
    1|0
  • Depends how good the service was. I usually aim to tip between 10-20%, but if their service is shit I just leave them a dollar in quarters.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• not going to lie I have a really bad habit of just being too lazy to go for the 20% so I just round up take 20% then round up again to the nearest 10 since I only carry 10's 20' and 50's on me. Which means I normally tip like 30 or 40%... lol

0|1
    0|0
    • Wow, 20 is already a lot but you go even higher than that?

• Show All
    • I always thought 10 to 15% was the standard

• 15% was the standard for most of my childhood. When I turned 15 more often than not you did 20% for a good tip 15 % for a bad one. As I said I am sometimes a bit lazy when it comes to doing the tipping or I just don't want change back so I am probably a bit generous with my tips. I got a steak the other day 27 and a drink 3 so it was 30. I tipped 10 because I had 2 20's. that was 33%.

• If the service is average or better I give 20%.

Poor service but no attitude/rudeness/extreme waits caused by the server: 10%

Attitude/rude/never checked even once on the table: $0

0|1
    0|0
    • Funny thing is that sucky servers go online whining about bad tippers. They seem mentally unable to connect their service with the customer’s behavior.

• Yup, they are only hurting themselves in the process.

• I honesly hate tipping. Its a way to underpay workers. But my parents are owner's of a popular restaurant so i grew up tipping what i can. I can eat there for free but i will tip like 25% just so i dont look like the asshole owner's son.

0|1
    0|0
  • Between 22% and 30%. If the tip adds up to less than 5 dollars, I'll tip at least 5.

0|1
    0|0
  • I tip out of politeness and satisfaction with the service.

0|1
    0|0
  • I tip nothing if I get the basic service. Because why paying more someone for doing his job?
    A tip is a reward. Do a good job and deserve it, do the minimum and get only what your boss pays you.

0|1
    0|0
  • In Europe you never tip. It is looked down apon, and could also be disrespectful.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is completely dependent on the effort of the server.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, unless I got truly HORRIFIC service, in which case I still tip but not much.

0|1
    0|0
  • Right now its getting to the point where the 20% tip is included in the price.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I'm honest. Waiter/waitress has to go above and beyond to get a good tip. 20% is the default/average and I'll go lower if it was bad service.

0|1
    0|0
  • Me too

0|1
    0|0
  • Ten percent

0|1
    1|0
  • Yes my meal cost 18 bucks i always tip 20 bucks

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes