Etiquette question: Should free restaurant appetisers be fresh or is it the thought that counts?

When you go to a restaurant and they give you those free appetisers before your meal like (bread, breadsticks etc) do you think they should give you fresh appetizers and avoid serving stale ones?

I was at a restaurant with my mum, they gave us stale bread and she got frustrated and send it back because it wasn't fresh (but still edible)

So should they only serve something if its fresh or is it the thought that counts?

1113

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all. If a restaurant is going to give free bread, they shouldn't give you stale bread. There's other ways to repurpose yesterday's leftovers. Giving it to customers and assuming it's copacetic because it's free is a half assed sort of hospitality and that reflects negatively on my opinion of the restaurant.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depending on the professionalism and reputation of the establishment, all of the food should be fresh, free from food borne illness, and not expired. Why would a quality restaurant serve stale bread or appetizers of any kind? That’s a low quality restaurant for sure.