Etiquette question: Should free restaurant appetisers be fresh or is it the thought that counts?

When you go to a restaurant and they give you those free appetisers before your meal like (bread, breadsticks etc) do you think they should give you fresh appetizers and avoid serving stale ones?

I was at a restaurant with my mum, they gave us stale bread and she got frustrated and send it back because it wasn't fresh (but still edible)

So should they only serve something if its fresh or is it the thought that counts?

Etiquette question: Should free restaurant appetisers be fresh or is it the thought that counts?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all. If a restaurant is going to give free bread, they shouldn't give you stale bread. There's other ways to repurpose yesterday's leftovers. Giving it to customers and assuming it's copacetic because it's free is a half assed sort of hospitality and that reflects negatively on my opinion of the restaurant.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Depending on the professionalism and reputation of the establishment, all of the food should be fresh, free from food borne illness, and not expired. Why would a quality restaurant serve stale bread or appetizers of any kind? That’s a low quality restaurant for sure.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• I haven't been to a place that gives free appetizers out :/

I feel like it's pretty low if a restaurant is giving out stale appetizers.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it should be fresh... if you’re going to the effort and expense of providing something towards the dining experience it should be of the same quality they want the rest of the food to be.
    If you’re gonna do it, do it right 😊
    A crappy free appetiser could totally lower a good meals reviews, but at the same time if the meal was crap good bread could make people consider going again as it was a one off bad thing

0|2
    0|0
  • Of course it should be fresh or they should state that you're getting day old or apps that have been sitting around for awhile. When I go out to eat I don't want anything reheated, nuked, or sitting under a heating lamp, I expect my food to be fresh. I have a very sensitive palate and can tell if any of those actions have taken place. My friends love taking me out to eat.

0|1
    0|0
  • Here we don't have such privilege
    I would get everything as long its eatable
    Well maybe not as fresh as that :

0|1
    0|0
  • They have to serve you fresh food, free or not.

I mean what if something happens to you due to stale food?

1|1
    0|0
  • They should be fresh, personally I wouldn't eat it if it weren't fresh. Where I live they give candy free so it's always good :)

0|1
    0|0
  • I honestly don’t mind, as long as I’m getting food to eat

0|1
    0|0
  • Fresh is important

0|2
    0|0
  • Should be straight out of the oven

0|1
    0|0
  • Even when it is free it should still be fresh.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• "Free" appetizers are not free; the cost is included in your entree. Yes, they should be fresh.

0|2
    0|0
  • All food should be fresh ideally, the biggest downfall of most all restaurants I see is that they pinch pennies and lose pounds.

1|1
    0|0
  • At first I read the pictures text as "if I had a slice of garlic bread for every ginger" that's a little pasta sauce that can be mopped up.

0|1
    0|0
  • Definitely fresh.

Sends out the worst possible message if it isn't! I'd rather be given nothing.

0|1
    0|0
  • Fresh is important but of it’s only a day old, I could still eat it.

0|1
    0|0
  • It has to be fresh or its a health risk which violates the law.

0|1
    0|0
  • it should be fresh, but if its not, i would still eat it, because its free, lol

0|1
    0|0
  • They should give you fresh appetizers and avoid serving stale ones

0|1
    0|0
  • They should be fresh, yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Should be fresh

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes appetizers should be fresh that i agree.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol that image

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes