Why am I turning into a lightweight?

i've usually been able to drink a few drinks and get decently drunk but not sick or hungover later.

recently i've noticed that i'm becoming more sensitive to alcohol and encountering problems most recently with one of my favourite kinds of alcohol, shochu (distilled clear spirits made from rice, barley, potato, etc).

i had maybe 9 shochu sours over the course of 4 hours and it ended badly. i'm actually kind of concerned because 6 months ago i was fine with 12 in 3 hours.

it's not due to dehydration or not eating beforehand. i also tried to drink a lot of water during to stay hydrated.

another pattern i've noticed over the last decade is that i seem to be developing an intolerance for european spirits and wine which has led me to try to avoid them.
  • it's because of stress
    Vote A
  • your body chemistry is changing
    Vote B
  • other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
my father could always drink a lot. his favourites were vodka, rum and wine. he never got sick or hungover.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• have you been losing body weight?

cause the lighter you are the harder the liquor hits you. I remember when I was obese (around 215lb) I used to drink a liter of rum and get tipsy drunk and then recover by the next day. when i drop to the 190s in the other had I would of drank the same amount but this time I would get really hammered and it would of taken me at least 3 days to get over my hangovers

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• That happens naturally as you age, and it’s not really a bad thing anyway.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• Have you been losing weight? It could from that. It has to do with your body weight among other things as you already know. It could also be depending how much food your eating. If you drink alcohol on a full stomach it will take you longer to get drunk.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your liver/ or most probably kidneys have been compromised, have you been sick in this last year? If you drink an energy drink, do you do a bright yellow pee about 30 minutes afterwards, if it's bright yellow you are flushing chemicals out well. If no, You should go get some blood work done. It might be time to only have 2 drinks a night. Depending if you can stabilise your kidney function.

0|0
    0|0
    • i can't recall being sick apart from some strange flu that included laryngitis last June when things were really stressful. i had bloodwork done to check for infectious diseases around that time and everything was clear including hepatitis. i can't do energy drinks/caffeine due to heart problem.

• Something has altered your bio chemistry. Best just to look after yourself anyway.

• thank you i will try

• Well I've noticed that anytime you drink too much of any type of alcohol, your body will react badly the next time you drink it. So maybe you had too much shochu one night and now your body is reacting

0|0
    0|0
    • that's very interesting actually

• Show All
    • wow :0
      like overexposure or something?

• Yeah, something like that

• It's also possible that your liver has been damaged by alcohol use, and can no longer dextox the alcohol from you body as effectively as it used to.

0|0
    0|0
    • yeah i'm worried about that

• The best thing to do, is see a doctor. Well, that's the second best thing. The best thing is to stop drinking until you know what is going on.

• Body chemistry. I've undergone the same changes but with rum and tequila. Moved to wine, beer, and moonshine. I am reaching my 30th birthday. I threw it up to that as the reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • i have never drinked before, only bar mitzfah, but i would say stop drinking a lot and just in moderation lsiten to your body

0|0
    0|0
  • Mmmm must be body chemistry if you're also developing an intolerance for European alcohol.
    Body's telling u there's more than spirits lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Seeking attention most likely..

0|0
    0|0
    • i'm sorry?

• i actually think i have some kind of illness but don't have health care atm

• I was very drunk last night and actually do not remember this reply. My apologies. Anyway it sounds like you're starting to get a little older.. I will say that drinking water while getting intoxicated usually lessens the effect for me.

• Maybe its because you are getting older

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't desire to develop an addiction..

0|0
    0|0
  • You are getting older. I know it sucks

0|0
    0|0
  • Your over 30, unless your an alcoholic it's natural plus your a woman. Maybe your not a regular enough drinker.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Normally when you're in your 20 is when you support alcohol the most after you support it less.

0|0
    0|0
  • It could have to do with age

0|0
    0|0
  • due to stress and age

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes