Why did it burst in flames?

I heated a pot to fry onions and when I added a bit of oil it burst into flames. I freaked out. The flames were big. I picked it up by the handles and tried adding water which made it worse but it just went out on its own luckily. Why did it burst into flames and how do you put a grease fire? I know water was wrong because oil and water don't mix but I freaked out. The pot was metal. I know it was stupid to try and move it. I freaked out.
sorry for the repetitive words, still kinda in shock, it just happened.
how do you put out a grease fire *

04

Most Helpful Guy

• Always add the oil first, than turn on the heat, so you gently heat the oil up. If it starts to get wisps of faint white smoke you know it's as hot as it should be. So at this point you should put the food in ensuring it's patted dry and does not have moisture on the surface of the food before putting it in the oil. You may want to turn the heat down a bit at this point. Different oils have different smoke points, vegetable oil and peanut oil are two of the highest. Keep a box of baking soda on hand, if you should get flames again, douse them with baking soda.