Is it ethical to eat meat?

We are consuming so many primary/secondary consumers, when it is obviously more efficient for our environment to become herbivores ourselves.

Then there's the emotional reason within us that shows that killing an organism is inhumane.

Are our emotional decisions always congruent with ethical decisions though? Do you think that eating meat is ethical?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• While I do feel that eating meat is natural I do think most of us eat a disgustingly large amount of meat and that because of such a large demand the animals we raise for salughter have a horrible life from beginning to end. Looking back at old fashion farms, many farms/families really cared about their livestock and had respect for the animal and its life, almost like a pet, before it became a meal.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it is ethical.
    Yes it becomes unethical when i expect to get 100g of any meat for Like 2 bucks or something.
    It can be very ethical to get your meat from a local bucher who gets His meat from a local Provider.
    Also, for people Like me with an insanely Low blood preasure, i have to eat Red meat.

It can (Not has to) be unethical to eat veggi. If its Not regional.
    Like the Carbon Footprint one creates when He wants to eat soy. Or has to Drink Something besides cowmilk (talking bananamilk and cocunut)

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• I tend to have second thoughts about it during the past years but my eating habits are crazy. If I were to go vegan, all I'd eat would be bread.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have no problem eating meat & don't plan on giving it up.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes and yummy

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I'm vegetarian.

0|0
    0|0
    • Okay, i am a carnivour and i would love to have a small conversation about food with you If thats okay.

1. I have a very Low blood preasure and my doctor and the WHO recomended that i eat Red meat 3-5 Times a Week
      1.1 is it then still unethical to eat Red meat If i need it for my health? (local meat ofc, i know my butcher and the Farmer)
      1.2 is there a vegiterian alternativ diet that would keep my blood preasure high?

2 what do you ususaly eat?

• @memyselfandiamhere Yes. Nuts and legumes have plenty of protein and vitamins for maintaining a healthy blood pressure. I eat whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
      No one needs to kill other living things to survive.

• As far as i know, Nurts and legumes generaly reduce the blood preasure (according to the Harvard Medical School in Boston) and they also reduce Stres, wich is generaly not bad, but exactly the oposite of what i need.

What kinds of fruits do you eat?
      Where i wanna Go with this question is practicaly: do you buy localy grown food only?

• I don't think it's ethical but meat eaters don't care about the ethics.

0|1
    0|0
    • That is a broad Statement that could also be Made about vegan diet's

• Show All
    • @memyselfandiamhere It's ok.
      I'm from Bosnia Herzegovina.
      I'm a lacto vegetarian, striving to become vegan, and eventually fruitarian.
      I usually various types of fruits, vegetables and grains: pasta, tomatoes, onions, peppers, corn, mushrooms, cucumbers, eggplants, rice, oatmeal, beans, peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflowers, potatoes, zucchini etc.

• *usually eat*

What Guys Said 7

• It's definitely not ethical. There is no argument anyone can give that eating meat is ethical. But then again, no one is completely ethical... I guess it just depends how ethical you want to be in life.

0|1
    0|0
    • That is an Interesting Statement. The WHO and Robert Koch say otherwise.
      I dont wanna Come Off too strong cause i know that this is an very emotional debate, but what about people Like me who have an insanely Low blood preasure, its recomended that i eat Red meat 3-4 Times a Week.
      I buy regional meat from a local butcher, to keep the Carbon Footprint as Low as possible.
      Many vegans for example eat soy and bananas or drink Milk that is Not from cows (banana, cocunut, soy) wich also creates a huge Carbon Footprint, so a question i'd Like to add is, is it moraly completly fine to eat food that is Not localy grown?

Also we have to Set some premises Here about ethical behavior, for example humos humini es Lupus est, is a quite famous ethical principal, wich would make consuming anything ok

• Show All
    • @memyselfandiamhere So killing can be ethical then.

Also, thanks for pointing out my mistake in word-choice.

• Yes it can.
      Maybe Not Killing in general, but it many/some cases

• Animals dont fight back so who cares anyway
    People are egoistic, empathy comes from "that can happen to me too, I might have been on his/her place"
    So why do we care about captive animals' feelings until it affects us

0|0
    0|0
  • Is it ethical too breath in what airlines are spraying on us?

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't think its ethical to tell people what they can and can't eat in regards to healthy food.

1|1
    0|0
  • We are omnivores. Eating animals isn't just ethical, it's how nature works.

1|1
    0|0
  • Meats good for you. We are made to eat meat.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ethical

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes