Why do people like drinking alcohol?

It is so unhealthy, yet such a big part of our culture, it seems that people need it to relax, or to feel good, but then they feel worse the next day if they had a bit too much. Is it because it's addictive? I have tried to enjoy it, but it tastes bad and being tipsy does not feel good at all. I am sure the way alcohol affects someone is different from person to person, so I want your personal opinion why would you choose a glass of beer or wine at the end of Friday evening instead of anything else? Do you really need that to relax?

I hope I don't sound judgmental, but the popularity of people constantly getting drunk baffles me.

3677

Most Helpful Guys

• The word “Alcohol” comes from the Arabic “al-kuhl” which means “BODY EATING SPIRIT”, and gives root origins to the English term for “ghoul”. In Middle Eastern folklore, a “ghoul” is an evil demon thought to eat human bodies, either as stolen corpses or as children.

The words “alembic” and “alcohol”, both metaphors for aqua vitae or “life water” and “spirit”, often refer to a distilled liquid that came from magical explorations in Middle Eastern alchemy.

In the words of writer and health enthusiast, Jason Christoff – “In alchemy, alcohol is used to extract the soul essence of an entity. Hence its’ use in extracting essences for essential oils, and the sterilization of medical instruments. By consuming alcohol into the body, it in effect extracts the very essence of the soul, allowing the body to be more susceptible to neighboring entities most of which are of low frequencies (why do you think we call certain alcoholic beverages “SPIRITS?”). That is why people who consume excessive amounts of alcohol often black out, not remembering what happened. This happens when the good soul (we were sent here with) leaves because the living conditions are too polluted and too traumatic to tolerate... it is beyond me why people enjoy killing themselves physically and spiritually. People are very uneducated about who they are and what they're capable of

• Good lord, at first when I started reading I found it very interesting and I thought it would be educational. But the further I read the crazier this story went on. I hope you don't believe too many of things like this :)

• 🤔 have you studied etymology?

• I’m speaking as an average person, an occasional beer in a social group.

Studies show alcohol (even when consumed in small amounts) can release dopamine in the brain (the brain’s “feel good” chemical). I also lowers the brain’s ability to process and react to the information going on around you, basically forcing you to “slow down and relax.”

Both of these combined can put a person in a really good mood, especially when you put them in a social situation and alcohol is consumed in smaller amounts.

I, however, do NOT understand how anybody can enjoy being so drunk that they embarrass themselves, forget events, or even vomit. It’s not a fun experience, but some people do it every chance they get.

• very informative, thanks!! yes I do understand having a drink to relax. but when they get so drunk constantly that do not ever remember what happened? where is the fun if you don't remember it?

• Every once in a while, I overindulge, in which I mean I’m having to take a taxi home, and have a bit of a hangover, it happens.

And I HAVE (though not recently) overindulged to the point I can’t remember (high school). Not fun. Lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Beats me, I've never had a drink in my life and don't understand why anyone enjoys more than the occasional drink. Like I understand that having certain wines with certain foods is really good, and the drinks bring out certain flavors in the foods. But a lot of people drink literally disgusting drinks/shots just for the sake of getting tipsy or drunk, which I really don't understand. It's a waste of money, your liver takes a nice hit that might cost you later in life, you lose control over yourself and you end up with memory loss and/or an awful hangover. Like... is that really worth the couple of hours of seemingly "feeling good"? Especially considering that lots of people literally end up spending the next entire day in bed feeling awful.
    I just don't get it, never have and never will, and none of the "explanations" make any sense to me.

• Like I don't know how many times I've gone to a bar or a club with my friends and I see them make faces at the drink they're having. It's like dude, clearly you don't enjoy it, why did you even waste your money on it?
      It's like going shopping and buying lots of clothes that aren't even your size, and then wondering when you get home why none of them fit, why your bank account is empty and why you're unhappy with the clothes.

• this is exactly how it looks from my point of view. :) it's hard to grasp when they say one thing about loving it an enjoying it, but then you look at them at they seem in pain, depressed or their body is detoxing