Why do people like drinking alcohol?

It is so unhealthy, yet such a big part of our culture, it seems that people need it to relax, or to feel good, but then they feel worse the next day if they had a bit too much. Is it because it's addictive? I have tried to enjoy it, but it tastes bad and being tipsy does not feel good at all. I am sure the way alcohol affects someone is different from person to person, so I want your personal opinion why would you choose a glass of beer or wine at the end of Friday evening instead of anything else? Do you really need that to relax?

I hope I don't sound judgmental, but the popularity of people constantly getting drunk baffles me.

1|6

Most Helpful Guys

• The word “Alcohol” comes from the Arabic “al-kuhl” which means “BODY EATING SPIRIT”, and gives root origins to the English term for “ghoul”. In Middle Eastern folklore, a “ghoul” is an evil demon thought to eat human bodies, either as stolen corpses or as children.

The words “alembic” and “alcohol”, both metaphors for aqua vitae or “life water” and “spirit”, often refer to a distilled liquid that came from magical explorations in Middle Eastern alchemy.

In the words of writer and health enthusiast, Jason Christoff – “In alchemy, alcohol is used to extract the soul essence of an entity. Hence its’ use in extracting essences for essential oils, and the sterilization of medical instruments. By consuming alcohol into the body, it in effect extracts the very essence of the soul, allowing the body to be more susceptible to neighboring entities most of which are of low frequencies (why do you think we call certain alcoholic beverages “SPIRITS?”). That is why people who consume excessive amounts of alcohol often black out, not remembering what happened. This happens when the good soul (we were sent here with) leaves because the living conditions are too polluted and too traumatic to tolerate... it is beyond me why people enjoy killing themselves physically and spiritually. People are very uneducated about who they are and what they're capable of

1|1
    0|0
    • Good lord, at first when I started reading I found it very interesting and I thought it would be educational. But the further I read the crazier this story went on. I hope you don't believe too many of things like this :)

• 🤔 have you studied etymology?

• I’m speaking as an average person, an occasional beer in a social group.

Studies show alcohol (even when consumed in small amounts) can release dopamine in the brain (the brain’s “feel good” chemical). I also lowers the brain’s ability to process and react to the information going on around you, basically forcing you to “slow down and relax.”

Both of these combined can put a person in a really good mood, especially when you put them in a social situation and alcohol is consumed in smaller amounts.

I, however, do NOT understand how anybody can enjoy being so drunk that they embarrass themselves, forget events, or even vomit. It’s not a fun experience, but some people do it every chance they get.

3|2
    0|0
    • very informative, thanks!! yes I do understand having a drink to relax. but when they get so drunk constantly that do not ever remember what happened? where is the fun if you don't remember it?

• Every once in a while, I overindulge, in which I mean I’m having to take a taxi home, and have a bit of a hangover, it happens.

And I HAVE (though not recently) overindulged to the point I can’t remember (high school). Not fun. Lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Beats me, I've never had a drink in my life and don't understand why anyone enjoys more than the occasional drink. Like I understand that having certain wines with certain foods is really good, and the drinks bring out certain flavors in the foods. But a lot of people drink literally disgusting drinks/shots just for the sake of getting tipsy or drunk, which I really don't understand. It's a waste of money, your liver takes a nice hit that might cost you later in life, you lose control over yourself and you end up with memory loss and/or an awful hangover. Like... is that really worth the couple of hours of seemingly "feeling good"? Especially considering that lots of people literally end up spending the next entire day in bed feeling awful.
    I just don't get it, never have and never will, and none of the "explanations" make any sense to me.

1|0
    0|0
    • Like I don't know how many times I've gone to a bar or a club with my friends and I see them make faces at the drink they're having. It's like dude, clearly you don't enjoy it, why did you even waste your money on it?
      It's like going shopping and buying lots of clothes that aren't even your size, and then wondering when you get home why none of them fit, why your bank account is empty and why you're unhappy with the clothes.

• this is exactly how it looks from my point of view. :) it's hard to grasp when they say one thing about loving it an enjoying it, but then you look at them at they seem in pain, depressed or their body is detoxing

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 75

• I did my share and I still love a good stout beer or a very dry red wine. And I am not acting holier than thou here but yes unfortunately I find it counter to good health unless you really do only have a limited number, one once in awhile. I say that because my workouts used to suffer due to it so I completely quit. Also, being low bodyfat it would hit me hard.

2|1
    0|0
    • what does low bodyfat have to do with that? does it affect people differently?

• I just know that back when I had some gut I could handle it as if I am conditioned or simply just have more mass. Fat has less blood flow than muscle so it can store or buffer it better. If you don't have any it goes straight to your head.

• I drink because I need something to do. If I never drank I would be so bored that I would probably kill myself. You just need a reason to get up in the morning, don't you? Why would someone choose to be alive if they didn't have drinking? Life is painful and takes a lot of effort. You gotta get something out of it.

1|1
    0|0
    • this is the saddest reply I have read on any of my questions. basically you think the only thing you can get out of life is alcohol? come on man there are better things to live for

• Show All
    • What is better to live for than alcohol? What is IU of D?

• International Units. Google, yo.

• Lack of traditional bonding opportunities combined with deep lackings and incipient depression leads to desperate mating or bonding attempts such as drinking in the hope of reaching a common denominator

4|2
    1|0
  • There's a difference between 'Getting drunk', and 'Enjoying Alcohol'. Some people drink it to look cool, some to get drunk because they think it's the only thing that would help them escape from their issues.

Now, as far as the people who drink it not to get drunk, it may be because of the taste. Some people do love the taste of it. And not all alcohol is unhealthy, wine when consumed in proportion is healthy. It promotes healthy heart.

1|1
    0|0
    • I guess it would make more sense if it tastes good to them. But all I see when people do vodka shots is a sour expression, so that's for sure not for the taste. ;D do you like the taste of it?

• Show All
    • yes I noticed ;D

• So glad you did.

• My opinion is similar to you , I never felt the need to drink it. Friends around me give the reasoning now you are grown up or see even girls are trying , give it a shot.
    Tried beer but didn't enjoy it , I feel better without it and can cope with pressure by other means no need to fit in

1|0
    0|0
  • I binge drink once in a while. I don't drink on work days and I go months without it, but when I do drink I like to get fucked up. I enjoy it, and I usually end up having a good time.

1|1
    0|0
    • but wouldn't it be just as fun without the alcohol. why is that so fun, is it that it clouds peoples judgement and they start acting and talking funny?

• Show All
    • @RegularTK421: any consumable is by definition a money pit. Everyone would be best off by normalising their metabolism and drinking only water. But ganja is a runner up in lieu of that.

• @Ahsthen That's true. Either way those days are long behind me.

• People drink alcohol because they like how it makes them feel, for the most part. Some overdo it, or use it to kill emotional pain, or to hide from life. There is evidence that a glass of red wine each day for a woman, up to two for men, is heart healthy and helps to maintain cleaner arteries. Some people can't handle much alcohol and should avoid it. Certainly, drinking and driving is not acceptable.

2|0
    0|0
  • For some it's fun, for others it's a crutch. I personally hate it since alcohol fucked my family up pretty bad. But it's in a lot of countries, cultures, and religions sadly and no-one wants to ever give it up. Just live your life clean and happy and hopefully you'll inspire sobriety.

2|0
    0|0
  • This is a crazy one...

I like the taste.

So many different types for so many different pallets, health benefits, help with social interaction etc.

That and it's how I make money, got to know products to be able to sell them!

1|1
    0|0
  • You can just drink it in moderation. Me particularly I dont like drinking but every once in a while I just want to change it up and I have a beer or two never enough to get me tipsy or to feel awful the next day. It's like you drink water all week but the weekend comes and maybe you want to have a juice or in this case a drink

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not a heavy drinker (heck, im not of age yet) but yea when i do i slowly enjoy wines with my family. I dont fancy beer. And i dont drink too much, often a glass is enough.

1|0
    0|0
    • do you like the taste of wine? because I truly don't get how people think its delicious :)

• Show All
    • well I've only tried a couple of wines :) perhaps if I try a really good one I might think differently

• champagne is really nice. But then... Champagne taste on a beer budget...

• Usually drinking is a serious problem in anglo-saxon/nordic countries for the simple reason that it is banned until 18-20 years old and it is wrongly linked with the adult status. One the newly 'adults' can legally buy (or not) alcohol, they go straight into binge drinking. And there you can see both men and women completely wasted on the streets (especially UK and Ireland) and it can get even worse, women cannot talk to a man unless they are drunk. If a guy talks to a woman while she's sober he'll be looked upon like a strange creature. Dating and romantic relations is associated with alcohol and so a completely messed up society is perpetuated. I cannot speak about US/Canada but I wouldn't be surprised to see there is a strong drinking culture there too.

Is it wrong? Absolutely yes. Do they damage their liver? Hell yes. I had once a British girlfriend that told me I was the first men that didn't have the skin smelling of alcohol 24h/day. I wasn't sure if to take this as a compliment or not..

0|0
    0|0
  • I so agree it is just not that nice. It sucks cause I get sick before I feel anything at all. Also why drink if your down. Alcohol makes you more depressed.

1|0
    0|0
  • My mind is always going. I think about work a lot in my spare time. Sometimes it is hard to fall asleep as I lay there thinking about things. I have a few drinks on a weekend and I dont give a shit anymore, and I sleep very well! I try not to drink too much or too often anymore. I also love to share a bottle of wine with a woman, there is something intimate about it, and gets me loose 🤗

1|0
    0|0
  • To me it tastes good. It also feels good. A cold beer on a hot summer day after work. That's something really nice. It's also great for a nice evening with friends. It makes you feel better and forces ypu to relax. For a lot of guys it's needed to give them the power they need to talk to a girl like: "are you brave enough to talk to her?" ==No==> Take a shot. Repeat question. Ah yeah and it just makes fun

1|0
    0|0
  • To help let go of reality and enjoy the moments. We often are not as sociable or relaxed when we are sober

1|1
    0|0
  • Small amounts of alcohol regularly have been shown to have health benefits. But, most people like it as it lowers their inhibitions and makes them more social.

Personally I like the taste of a good beer every now and again. not into getting plastered anymore. that went out with my 20's

1|1
    0|0
  • I drink to help me fall asleep.. I dont drink a lot.. just enough to help me fall asleep. I even make my own mead sometimes.
    Really depends on the person I think.

1|1
    0|0
  • It tastes good, depending on what you have it’s really not unhealthy, it helps with courage and relaxes you, it helps you have a fun time, and the night before is totally worth the risk of the morning after (which only happens if you have to do anything strenuous)

1|0
    0|0
  • I love a guinness or three at the weekend. I drink for the social aspect. Chat bout football etc... yes I've been pissed as a fart and suffered hangovers n swore never again etc etc etc... but here's the thing... i know my limit n stick to it 98% of the time. I like how guinness tastes and it has a lot if healthy qualities from protein to iron to folic acid etc.. plus it has lowest calories of all other beers including light beers. Guinness is a meal in a glass n not many non guinness drinkers can handle more than 3. I do however think alcohol in general is a good thing as long as people dont go mad n get pissed week in week out... silly that. I go out say at 9.30pm n home bout 2am n id sit over 5 pints or large bottles of guinness in that time. people think alcoholics are drunkards. No. A real alco drinks to feel normal and there's the problem

1|0
    0|0
    • of all the alcoholic beverages I've tried, beer was the most pleasant one. I like how there are many different kinds and tastes, the fact that it has benefits for the health makes it seem that is not totally pointless to drink, not just a waste of calories. I keep hearing good things about Guinness, I should try it sometime. :)

• Show All
    • Yep. cos of its folic acid content and its v rich in iron too

• try somegood Bordeaux wine and then tell me

• It helps to offset the stress from a long day or week at work as well as the stress of socializing with people you don't know very well. In moderation, the negative effects don't really amount to anything.

1|0
    0|0
  • A few drinks are actually healthy, getting wasted isn't. Tho alcohol tastes amazing.

1|0
    1|0
    • What alcoholic drink aside from wine is healthy? Well good for you that it tastes amazing, I find it extremely bitter :)

• Show All
    • @Ahsthen I’ve read that. I’m from Canada, it’s going to be legal here soon. I personally don’t use it, but I know a lot of who do, and they’re pretty happy; the health benefits can outweigh the cons.

• @Qwertsy I remember I've red somewhere that Egyptians gave beer to slaves to keep them healthier.

• Because it's great. If being tipsy doesn't feel good then you probably haven't had enough

1|0
    0|0
    • oh I've had, this is exactly the point people are making to me that if I don't feel good I should get another drink. and I get another one and another one, it the good feeling they're talking about never comes, just feeling sick from all the extra alcohol

• Just because you have a drink doesn't mean you have to get drunk

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes but the way so many people feel the need to constantly just ''have a drink'' that needs to be alcoholic still baffles me why is that so enjoyable. So I wanted to hear opinions why each person here likes it

• Legal way to catch a buzz.

• To sleep without bothering about the obstacles around us

1|0
    0|0
  • I get way more chatty and really funny. I tend to be reserved but being drunk i let go of that and have fun.

2|1
    0|0
  • I drink wine with dinner sometimes lunch. I feel it is healthy. I do t particularly like getting drunk but a couple of glasses does help relax after a stressful day at work.

1|0
    1|0
  • I don't see why alcohol is so normal, it's such a harmful drug

3|1
    0|0
  • After a stressful week at work it's good to loose ctrl a little bit.

It's ok to drink alcohol as long as we don't allow it to drink us.

1|0
    0|0
  • it tastes good, its fun making cocktails, its a traditional thing in Australia ur basically crazy if u dont, it feels nice to be tipsy

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 35

• There are many reasons. Social drinking. Accessible. More indulgence. Numbing. Escape. Humans are incessantly looking for a meaning, something to fill an endless void. I tried partying for awhile and I found it did me no good. It made me ironically feel emptier at the end of the day. And there wasn't a point to it except learning from it and moving the hell on!

2|1
    0|0
  • I drink because I want to not because, “it’s cool”. I like drinking wine with my dad because we can just relax and talk about our lives over a glass of Merlot. Red wine is actually healthy for you, so its not “unhealthy” like you’re saying. (: Also I don’t drink to get drunk like so many people do.

1|2
    0|0
    • does it actually taste good to you? :)

• Show All
    • @Ahsthen Also! Have you ever researched the health benefits of red wine? It improves cholesterol, fight free radical damage, help manage diabetes, fight obesity and prevent cognitive decline.

• I drink no alcohol, coffee, tea, soda, specialty drinks, etc... and I have no issues. Pretty simple.

• I don't really understand the obsession with alcohol either. I like wine, sweet wines only, mind you or wine coolers. Anything that sweet or fruity. I'll have a couple of drinks when I'm out with friends. But otherwise i dont really make a habit out of drinking, never go out of my way to buy it or have it with my food etc. I stick to good old water, juice, and sometimes tea/coffee.

1|1
    0|0
    • this is out of topic, but if that's you in the profile pic, you're really gorgeous *_*

• Haha yes that's me! Thank you😊😊

• I think I like it because it’s sort of fun to be in a drunk state and few like I’m not responsible for my actions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of those people that blames their actions on being drunk; I take full responsibility. It just, while I’m drunk, I feel like there are no consequences. I can do what ever I want and for the most part people will understand because I’m drunk. I’ll admit, it’s not healthy. But it’s a great feeling.

1|0
    0|0
  • because it help get rid of stress and make u forget about ur problems.

2|2
    1|0
  • https://youtu.be/DaXYaiyqGd0
    Because alcohol is great 😝

1|0
    0|0
  • Personally for me it's for many reasons sometimes I do it when I sad so I can forget my worries and let my hair down other times I do it because it gives me confidence socially and I like the taste but I always make sure I drink responsibly

1|1
    0|0
  • because it numbs you and other drugs are illegal or prescribed.

1|1
    0|0
    • Makes sense.

• Show All
    • @Suki3: I don't those kinds of people in my life, family or not.

• @Porcelaine: needing some?

• Well, I was brought up in a t-total home. But by the time I was 19 and involved in peer pressure to a degree, I decided to try it out.

Originally, it just made me really happy, bubbly and to be honest overly confident. I was shy so it helped me relax in crowds. But it eventually became my worst enemy.

I started to drink regularly when I went out and I started acting impulsively and doing stupid things that ended up causing me a whole lot of heart ache and trouble.

Then when I drank I eventually started feeling tired, depressed and empty. Feelings of joy were gone and many a time is cry even after a few beers.

Safe to say I haven't had a drink in like 2 years now, it's not good for you at all. And I feel so much better emotionally now as well.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, this is exactly the kind of cycle I see people go through when using alcohol. Good for you that you rid yourself from something that was toxic both physically and emotionally. :)

• I think it's the company of the people you we're drinking and not the alcohol... the taste of alcohol is not good ( it's bitter) but still many people drink it...

1|0
    0|0
    • well then why can't they enjoy the company of the people without drinking?

• Well some people just need a booster? I mean when you're drinking sometimes you became the true you... you say things you can't say when you're sober...

• I'll drink if I'm out with some friends on a weekend and I'm also in the mood for it. I usually just have a frozen margerita or cocktail or something. I drink a lot of water (and on a full stomach) when I do drink so the worst I've gotten was a bit of a headache. Not the cartoonish pounding kind just a small one that some ibuprofen could fix. It can taste good, I like stuff with rum in it.

People who drink all the time for everything (happy, sad, to relax, forget, party, just because they want to drink on a Tuesday) and in such amounts they black out probably have bigger issues.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because in more cases than not it is considered liquid courage.

1|0
    0|0
    • sad. people should work on being courageous while sober, not intoxicate themselves to cloud judgement so the decisions are easier to make

• Show All
    • Do you drink? Ever?

• nope. tried it, felt awful, tasted bad, this is why this question is here. :)

• stupidity is the asnwer. and a need to escape reality. alcohol shouldn't exist as a human beverage

1|0
    0|1
    • America tried that. It totally fucked them up

• Show All
    • It is the restriction, research it. Also most people enjoy alcohol without addiction, and it improves mental health in many

• @Whysosirius7 it doesn't, its toxic and alien to the body.

• I see people drink because of reasons like stress, over break ups, etc
    But there are some people that drinks because their friends are drinking around them

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink a lot mostly just like once i a long while and not much juat enough to feel good tho I really don't like like it and i control it but i must say the feeling it gives you could be easily addictive

1|0
    0|0
  • Two or three glasses of good wine is good for your health

1|0
    0|0
    • well not in a day ;D maybe one glass a day, but two or three a day will do more harm than good

• Once you start drinking you dont know whats happening and you feel thats all right and helps you with your problems even though it might make it even worse

1|2
    0|0
  • There are so many reasons. There's peer pressure which is terrible. There's anxiety and alcohol helps in reducing it. Unfortunately MOST ( not all)20 something's think that it's "cool" and a fun experience since they can finally do it. It gives you an intoxicated feeling and sure the first few times might be rough but once you're accustomed to the taste well you'll be even able to tell the difference between good and bad alcohol. And plus it does have its health benefits when taken in moderation of course, especially red wine which is really good for one's heart! It's all about your capacity of intake and if you do it responsibly or not. Otherwise it's perfectly alright.😊

1|0
    0|0
  • I think that people just want to turn off their brain for a while.
    Alcohol is social. And there is no need to get tipsy!
    All in moderation.

1|0
    0|0
  • Agreed, I don't drink. I just ask really hard questions when my friends do, and laugh at them struggle lol

1|1
    0|0
  • I’m an alcoholic. I hate it & love it at the same time. It lets you numb the pain for a while, forget about my problems, changes my shy personality to outgoing, & helps me feel confident enough to be myself during sex.

0|0
    0|0
  • to me alcohol tastes awful, and i dont get the appeal of people getting drunk either

1|0
    0|0
  • It calms me down and helps me sleep. It just puts me in a good mood.

1|1
    0|0
  • I've never felt worse the next day when I drink. And I rarely do, I don't need alcohol to get crazy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Oh I love alcohol. It's taste is just so good to me (except the one if tequila), I like the warm sensation and the little bit of dizziness it gives you after few cups. I've been drinking since I was very little. I don't need it to relax, I can stop drinking at any moment, but I never drink to get drunk. It's just a nice compliment to the food for example. Also a good friend for the weather. It makes people more open and experiences more fun (as long as you don't overdo it). I think those are the main reasons I like it.

1|0
    0|0
  • It helps me forget unpleasant recent events! Or not so recent events!

0|0
    0|0
  • You wouldn't understand.

1|0
    1|1
    • Well I'm trying to, that's why I asked the question ;)

• Some people become the opposite of who they are;shy timid. Others use it as a coping mechanism. Real textbook shit really.

There are some really good liquors out there and good desert wines. And some lovely ipa beers. Some people drink like some test food.

I drank heavily as a teenager, I'm glad because I do not care for it any longer. So I agree with you on some of what you said. I am def better person not on it.

• It can be pretty fun

1|0
    0|0
  • It makes me feel happy in my miserable life

1|0
    0|0
  • It taste great and I don't drink to get drunk.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes