Your favourite culinary herb?

What's your favourite culinary herb and how do you use it?

Mine would either be coriander/cilantro or thymeYour favourite culinary herb?
oregano ties closely with thyme for me

1312

Most Helpful Girl

• There just too many
    I think those are my top three
    Paprika
    Curcuma
    And I don't know if Garlic counts but this is my favorite, I love the scent so much

Most Helpful Guy

• For me, it's basil and oregano.
    Basil might seem a little plain to some people but to me, it smell and tastes absolutely amazing. I love how versatile this herb is. You can use it for your classic Italian salad (caprese) or you can put it on your pizza but you can also be more "crazy" and adventurous with it. For example the other day I ate at a restaurant where they served homemade pomegranate-basil ice tea. It was one of the best things I've ever drank. You can even combine basil with chocolate (in some deserts) or with fruits.
    Apart from all that, I also just love how basil looks (bright green) and how the leaves feel in my hands. Every spring I buy 2-3 basil plants that we put in our kitchen.

Oregano is something I've basically grown up with. Since my dad is Greek, we always used to store and use a lot of oregano at home when I was a child. My grandma (his mom) travels to Greece every year and usually brings along some real, Greek oregano, which is not only cheaper but also FAR better than the one you get here in Central Europe. Now that I don't live at home anymore, my wife and I usually buy our oregano at the local Turkish market.
    This herb I use mostly on salads or on my pizza but it also fits well to some types of cheese (feta or mozzarella). It also fits well as a seasoning for your bread when you make crostini (toasted slices of bread with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil).

Both oregano and basil go really well with olive oil, which is important to me because olive oil for a Greek person (or a partially Greek person like myself ;-) ) is like water. It's impossible to go without.