Growing up, what was most frequently served at home?

Did you inherit your eating habits from your parents?
  • Home-cooked meals
    Vote A
  • Convenience food
    Vote B
  • Takeaway
    Vote C
  • Restaurant
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Almost exclusively home-cooked meals. During the week, my siblings and I would always come home from school and my mom would cook lunch. She became really good at knowing when exactly we'd get home and would have everything ready to eat.
    Weekday dinners were usually small and consisted mostly of cold food such as bread, cheese, ham etc. When I got older, I sometimes prepared my own dinners.
    On the weekends, my mom and my dad usually shared the cooking. On Saturday my mom would cook and on Sunday my dad (or vice versa). Weekend dinners were usually more fancy.

Eating out at a restaurant would only happen very, very rarely. Maybe two or three times a year. There were several reasons for this. First of all, eating out in Switzerland is very expensive, as I'm sure you'd agree. Secondly, eating out with 3 kids (5 people) is gonna cost you a lot of money. This can be difficult even if you earn well. And last but least, my parents preferred to save their money for other things. Most importantly, they saved money to go on big family vacations with us.

Junkfood or fast food is something we never ate. I can't remember a single time that I went to a fast food place with one of my parents. It wasn't forbidden or anything like that, my parents just didn't feel like it was a good idea to go there. Nowadays I'm very glad about that. This way, I've never developed much of a liking for fast food. The most junk foodish we would do is order some delivery pizzas a few times a year.

1|0
    0|0
    • Never? Not even when you went on a roadtrip and wanted to grab something on the way? Wow, I mean even little Prince William and Harry knew what McDonald's tasted like!

• My parents usually took food along in those cases. My mom would make sandwiches and my dad would pack some fruits.
      I think the first time I went to McDonald's I was around 17, with some friends after a party. In the beginning I used to like it but after a few times of going there, McDonald's food would give me terrible diarrhea every single time I ate it. So I concluded it can't be good for me if my body reacts that badly and I stopped going. I actually like burgers a lot but I'd rather have one that's a little more... "upscale" I guess.

• Okay so rice and ground beef is not located on your list. And I'm not talking about seasoned rice or anything like that no plain white rice playing ground beef. That is the most fit thing in my home when I was little. Yes I was poor.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• My mom was a stay-at-home kitchen guru while my dad was a weekend barbecue master. They stuffed me and my brothers with delicious home-cooked meals almost everyday. Now, I love cooking while my fiance enjoys outdoor grilling.

2|1
    0|0
  • Home cooked meals! I loved it and prefer it. She's terrific at cooking, even my friends used to give me their tiffin because they love my mum's food so much that they used to finish my food without letting me have more than a bite, lol

1|0
    0|0
    • You're a saint! I would have punched them for eating MY food!

• Lol, I can't do that. It used to make me feel like I'm gonna cry because I loved her food, others meals didn't really taste delicious. So, I used to eat a small quantity.
      I don't know why I can't say no if someone wants to have my meal.. Even if I'm supet hungry lol

I wish I was like you!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• My parents had little money when my siblings and I were kids so home cooked meals were the only meals.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's kinda funny to read, because nowadays people say that they can't have home-cooked meals because fresh produce is too expensive.

• Show All
    • My ma had time since she was a stay at home mom until I got to be around 9ish I think it was.

• Is convenience food, like, boxed easy-to-make food?

1|0
    0|0
  • I still eat everything that I was never allowed. Like sushi. Haha, but the general spicyness, bitterness and flavor profiles I like I inherited from home, or, from genetics.

1|0
    0|0
  • Home cooked, I don't know if cereals apply to this but yeah, it seemed like too much of an expense to go out so regularly, but at least I learnt how to cook

1|0
    0|0
  • my mom cooked a lot so thats what we at most definitely

1|0
    0|0
  • Home cook meals. Would go out sometimes to eat out.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably restaurant and a some home-cooked.

Mum and dad’s jobs meant we ate out very often.

1|0
    0|0
  • I almost never got take—out and my dad’s vegetarian and while I’m not I only have meat about once a month or less because of his influence

1|0
    0|0
  • Every single day I eat home-cooked meals, since my dad always cooks it. He enjoys cooking and is good at it (but still much worse than his siblings).

1|0
    0|0
  • If my dad was home something good, if my mom was cooking then it was usually disappointing

1|0
    0|0
  • My mom made the best meals. She can make horrible food taste good.

1|0
    0|0
  • Home-cooked meals

1|0
    0|0
  • All of the above, pretty equally.

1|0
    0|0
  • Home cooked meal

1|0
    0|0
  • Always home cooked meals

1|0
    0|0
  • Home cooked, and it still is like this

1|0
    0|0
  • Home over cooked. leathery meat and mushy veggies.
    We still eat at home but the quality has improved.

1|0
    0|0
  • mostly dinosaur nuggets and apple sauce. My childhood was fun 😊

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• We lived about a half hour away from any restaurant so it was almost always home cooked.

1|0
    0|0
  • cereal sandwiches and salad. i served it every day ;p

1|0
    0|0
  • At our house it was almost exclusively home cooked meals.

1|0
    0|0
  • Mostly fideo and corn tortillas

1|0
    0|0
  • Home cooked meals

1|0
    0|0
  • Home cooked

1|0
    0|0
  • Home cooked. They were big fans of lentil soup.

1|0
    0|0
  • Fried errythingggg

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes