Does upselling make workers make more money?

There’s this guy who works at a food kiosk at my mall and he’s always trying to upsell me something.. like I’ll order a medium drink and he’ll say “would you like to make a large for 20cents more”. Will him doing this make him more money in his paycheck or something?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It’ll make him look like a good salesman which can lead to pay increases or promotions if it’s available to him.

Of corse it doesn’t guarantee that at all, many employers would love to see the employee do really well but not reward them anything extra for it.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, but sometimes restaurants like that have contests between stores (like all the Subways in one region, all of the Paneras in that franchise, etc) to see who can upsell the most of something, and the winning store gets a prize of some sort.

Maybe not though, maybe that's just what he's been trained to do.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• It definitely affects their pay in some way. It's all tracked and workers are rewarded for selling high-profit items like soda. More successful upsellers may get a higher hourly wage.

1|0
    0|0
  • It allows him to keep his job and makes the company more money.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think, that they get some % of what people order at them

1|0
    0|0
  • No, that’s just what they’re told to do

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• No, but it can help is performance trackers. My place monitors upsells and our managers review them to make sure we're offering them.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes