Why do you drink alcohol?

What's the real, most base reason you drink alcohol? I'm on a path to alcoholism, and I think it's because I lost all my friends during the transition into full-blown adulthood, and I'm terribly lonely. Do you drink to bring yourself out or to cover yourself up?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I drink to have a good time when social, because I like the taste, and i like to "treat" myself. Drinking alcohol helps you more often than not in most places because other people do it. It especially helps during networking events, dating events, because it's easier to present yourself as relatable (if the other person does it) and its one thing that doesn't "Separate you" from the herd. Think about the people who have food allergies or restrictions. It's not professionally treated as a bad thing, but you'll probably spend time (depending on how much you actively enjoy talking about "it") rather than say, more important things where you can pitch your personalities and abilities in a good light. Plus there is often a sense of superiority (either moral, rational, or whatever), that people give off when talking about a decisions they made and others are too "stupid" not to. Most don't mean to, but they do and that's off-putting.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There was a time in my life where I was very depressed and life fucked my totally up so I started drinking. Half year later I drunk a half bottel Captain Morgan with Cola at one day. When I finally found the thing that´s about to kill me I removed it from my life and everything went better since then. Just a couple of days later I was off this "Addiction". Now I´m basically drinking when I go out with my best friend or I try a cocktail. I´m teaching myself about how to be a good barkeeper. Bought stuff and a book. Drinks can be kind of art. It can be a tasty adventure and when you know how to mix drinks correctly and maybe know some background stuff you will be an asked man for every house party.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Because i like the feeling when I'm just tipsy. I get less inhibited and am more fun, or when I'm alone, it helps me care less about how fucking lonely I am that I have to drink alone in my room

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't drink, I have a clear mind and I can see that alcohol does zero good.

0|2
    0|0
  • I have a drink very occasionally as a treat. I don't drink to calm my nerves, wind down or get drunk.

0|0
    0|0
  • I only drink when I am with my friends, but it also helps me approach new people.

0|0
    0|0
    • @marie200200 This is false reasoning at its worst. Needing to drink to help you approach people is a symptom of alcohol dependency. Things can only get worse from there. The better idea is to try to approach people on your own steam --- without the alcohol.

• Its fun for me.

0|1
    0|0
    • I thought ur username said "rape33" for a second. I was like wait what? How can u rape a number? And y is it called that as ur username? But I looked back to see it wasn't. 😂😂😂silly me

• Thats gonna be my next username lol

• Only when I’m with people

0|0
    0|0
  • For fun only or simply because I can

0|0
    0|0
  • I work with high schoolers all day

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 17

• I used to drink to get rid of my problems. Like you, I was lonely and had no one, I still don't. True friends stay by your side, even if your life gets tough. Sure adulthood is hard, but so is life itself! Things will get better if you choose to believe they will get better. Drink in moderation! It's okay to drink every once in a while, but alcoholism is a messy and slippery slope that causes nothing but pain. From one human being to another, I care about you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I drink very little, yesterday I had a glass of wine after months of abstinence.

I usually drink it, because I like the taste and to relax a bit. It loosens my tongue, makes it easier to keep talking in first-date-scenarios.

0|1
    0|0
  • I rarely drink and don't do it to bring myself out or cover. I drink socially. Like if it's a holiday or hangout with colleagues. But it's usually like 1-2 White Russians or Cuba Libre and I'm done. But I haven't drunk in like 7 months and before that 3 months ago before that years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop dude. Once you start using it as a band aid instead of just a celebratory beverage it gets majorly dangerous. Face the depression now rather than later, eventually the booze won't work as well

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink because my girlfriend drinks.
    She drinks to celebrate stuff, mostly.

0|0
    0|0
  • I barely drink alcohol, but when I do it's because my mood gets better, and I'm more open to talk about topics that I usually don't talk about when I'm sane.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink alcohol because I can't smoke weed right now. To be honest I'd rather be completely sober.

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop. Never drink alone again. You'll either make new friends or stop drinking. Win-win.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink to relax, I like the flavor, and to get a buzz. If you think you're heading towards alcoholism, get some help now.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink so I can stop thinking too much for a moment, it also makes me more friendly.

0|0
    0|0
  • I know u brah... and u lost ALL ur friends or do u still have smth like a best friend?

0|0
    0|0
    • I have a couple I still message but I don't see or hang out with anyone anymore

• In my opinion its better to have one REAL friend instead of 100 "friends" which turn their back on u if u need them...

• So focus und that friendship try to Talk about your Problem with them and believe in yourself

• I like the taste and feeling of being drunk

0|1
    0|0
  • To get krunk up in this bitch.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like the taste.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sorry, I don't drink alcohol

0|0
    0|0
  • Takes the edge off a rough day.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drink because alcohol is basically happiness in a bottle. You pay, you drink the magic liquid, you feel good. Simple as that. And I live in a fucked up environment, and I can't feel good naturally, ever, so whenever I want to take a break from all the shit, I drink

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes