Why do you drink alcohol?

What's the real, most base reason you drink alcohol? I'm on a path to alcoholism, and I think it's because I lost all my friends during the transition into full-blown adulthood, and I'm terribly lonely. Do you drink to bring yourself out or to cover yourself up?

918

Most Helpful Girl

• I drink to have a good time when social, because I like the taste, and i like to "treat" myself. Drinking alcohol helps you more often than not in most places because other people do it. It especially helps during networking events, dating events, because it's easier to present yourself as relatable (if the other person does it) and its one thing that doesn't "Separate you" from the herd. Think about the people who have food allergies or restrictions. It's not professionally treated as a bad thing, but you'll probably spend time (depending on how much you actively enjoy talking about "it") rather than say, more important things where you can pitch your personalities and abilities in a good light. Plus there is often a sense of superiority (either moral, rational, or whatever), that people give off when talking about a decisions they made and others are too "stupid" not to. Most don't mean to, but they do and that's off-putting.

Most Helpful Guy

• There was a time in my life where I was very depressed and life fucked my totally up so I started drinking. Half year later I drunk a half bottel Captain Morgan with Cola at one day. When I finally found the thing that´s about to kill me I removed it from my life and everything went better since then. Just a couple of days later I was off this "Addiction". Now I´m basically drinking when I go out with my best friend or I try a cocktail. I´m teaching myself about how to be a good barkeeper. Bought stuff and a book. Drinks can be kind of art. It can be a tasty adventure and when you know how to mix drinks correctly and maybe know some background stuff you will be an asked man for every house party.