Why didn't I get drunk?

Last night was my first time drinking. I'm a 19 yo female, 5'8, 160p. I bought a bottle of red wine (13% alcohol) and I drank 5 glasses ( I almost finished the whole bottle yes). It tasted so bad I had to take a sip of water every time I drank plus I heard it helps with hangovers ( which's true, I felt nothing when I woke up this morning). But I didn't get drunk. I only felt a bit dizzy but aside from that I was completely sober. My roommate was actually asking me for help with her essay and I was explaining the different themes with perfect coherence. The weird thing is, my other roommate who's 20 pounds lighter got drunk after 3 shots. I just kept drinking thinking that I just needed more but is a bottle not enough? I'm just really confused and sort of disappointed..

110

Most Helpful Guy

• She's smaller and did shots? Of course she got drunk, you probably would too if you drank hard liquor and especially if you do shots, wine usually only gets people buzzed unless they drink a looot. Tolerance is also partially inherited genetically

• What I meant by shots is, she drank the exact same wine but in shot glasses. I get that she's lighter but c'mon, 3 shots of wine vs nearly an entire bottle? I'm not double her size after all..

• If you're into sweeter drinks or just not downright bitter, go for cocktails like a long island iced tea. 2 of those and you should be buzzed

• Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try πŸ€—

Most Helpful Girl

• Could be what you ate earlier or while drinking. Digesting food, especially bread, breaks down alcohol quicker.

You also might not have realized you were drunk because you weren't "drunk drunk". Usually I don't realize I'm even drunk until I'm either stumbling or slurring words.

Also your friend, theoretically, much more than you. Shots of hard liquor usually run between 60 and 80+ proof (whereas the wine you described is only 26 proof).

From my own experience, combine a shot or 2 of Bacardi 151 or Everclear with an empty stomach and there won't be any question of "am I drunk?"

• I had dinner about 1 and a half hour before drinking ( i heard I shouldn't drink without having eaten anything all day). I also ate a couple if cookies between glasses to get rid of the taste. I kept telling my sober roommate to do a "drunk check"on me every few minutes but according to her, I showed no signs πŸ˜‚ bottom line is, next time no eating and straight to the hard stuff πŸ’