Why didn't I get drunk?

Last night was my first time drinking. I'm a 19 yo female, 5'8, 160p. I bought a bottle of red wine (13% alcohol) and I drank 5 glasses ( I almost finished the whole bottle yes). It tasted so bad I had to take a sip of water every time I drank plus I heard it helps with hangovers ( which's true, I felt nothing when I woke up this morning). But I didn't get drunk. I only felt a bit dizzy but aside from that I was completely sober. My roommate was actually asking me for help with her essay and I was explaining the different themes with perfect coherence. The weird thing is, my other roommate who's 20 pounds lighter got drunk after 3 shots. I just kept drinking thinking that I just needed more but is a bottle not enough? I'm just really confused and sort of disappointed..

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• She's smaller and did shots? Of course she got drunk, you probably would too if you drank hard liquor and especially if you do shots, wine usually only gets people buzzed unless they drink a looot. Tolerance is also partially inherited genetically

1|0
    0|0
    • What I meant by shots is, she drank the exact same wine but in shot glasses. I get that she's lighter but c'mon, 3 shots of wine vs nearly an entire bottle? I'm not double her size after all..

• Show All
    • If you're into sweeter drinks or just not downright bitter, go for cocktails like a long island iced tea. 2 of those and you should be buzzed

• Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try πŸ€—

Most Helpful Girl

• Could be what you ate earlier or while drinking. Digesting food, especially bread, breaks down alcohol quicker.

You also might not have realized you were drunk because you weren't "drunk drunk". Usually I don't realize I'm even drunk until I'm either stumbling or slurring words.

Also your friend, theoretically, much more than you. Shots of hard liquor usually run between 60 and 80+ proof (whereas the wine you described is only 26 proof).

From my own experience, combine a shot or 2 of Bacardi 151 or Everclear with an empty stomach and there won't be any question of "am I drunk?"

1|0
    0|0
    • I had dinner about 1 and a half hour before drinking ( i heard I shouldn't drink without having eaten anything all day). I also ate a couple if cookies between glasses to get rid of the taste. I kept telling my sober roommate to do a "drunk check"on me every few minutes but according to her, I showed no signs πŸ˜‚ bottom line is, next time no eating and straight to the hard stuff πŸ’

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Size and weight have a lot tl do with it. But, maybe your genetics helped. I have never had a hangover. (I quit drinking, grandpa was a alcoholic) My mom could never get drunk, just buzzed. Great grandpa was from Scotland.

1|0
    0|0
    • Possibly. I thought my lack of hangover was due to the water I drank, but my other friend woke up feeling like complete sh*t. I've never asked any of my relatives about their drinking habits and I have two uncles who used to be alcoholics. My mother doesn't drink and my father rarely does. But I guess it could be genetic after all πŸ€”

• Water does help some. Maybe test yourself. Try without water. Find your tolerance. Cheers

• Alright, thanks for the advice πŸ€—

• Every one is different with what they drink and how much of it they can drink my girl can drink 2 bottles of wine and that will take her over the edge but 2 glasses of vodka and she is gone I can do about 1 and a half of brandy before I'm mad drunk but any other spidey will kill me lol

1|0
    0|0
    • I think I'll try something else then πŸ˜‚

• Men generally get drunk much hard than women because they have more muscles.
    The same thing for you, if you weigh more, you get drunk harder than someone lighter than you.

If you want to get drunk, next time mix alcohol, or just drink 1 bottle of votka, without so much water drinking. And drink it in 1 hour.

Enjoy the result!

1|0
    0|0
    • That's why I kept drinking until I nearly finished an entire bottle πŸ˜‚ but I expected to feel tipsy or something and all I got was a little dizziness and according to everyone I know, that's not what drunk is supposed to feel like πŸ€” I get, I need to try something stronger but an entire bottle of Vodka? U sure that's safe? πŸ˜‚

• That's not safe but it's a sure way to get wasted :)

• Fair enough, thanks for ur advice πŸ€—

• How fast you drink, and having water drastically changes the effect. You got tipsy off what you had. If you remove the water and/or drink a lot faster you'll get drunk. Changing your drink of choice will also affect you

1|0
    0|0
    • The course of an hour. And my friend had wayy less alcohol and more water and she got drunk. I realize she's lighter but still.. should I straight up head for the hard stuff? xD

• Everyone handles it differently (Asians are known for having a much lower tolerance). I'm a fan of spiced rum and coke cos it tastes great and you mix it to whatever strength you like

• Alright thanks for the advice πŸ€—

• try some vodka shots or rum... I enjoy those and whiskey but whiskey does nothing for me

1|0
    0|0
    • How many shots should I drink to start feeling the effects?

• You should ask for forgiveness to the Almighty & promise to never drink again.

0|0
    0|0
    • Everyone doesn’t have the same belief. If she wants to drink she’s allowed to

• Show All
    • We're either a good influence or a bad one.

Peace bro.

• That's my business but thanks anyway

• Feeling dizzy is drunk

1|0
    0|0
    • Dizzy as in a little unbalance when I get up from the bed but not as in tipsy, incoherent, can't concentrate, giggling like a freak kind of dizzy.

• Tolerance varies from person to person

1|0
    0|0
    • Yea but I thought I'd get drunk easily since it's my first time..

• Show All
    • Yea next time I'll go for something stronger. Thanks for ur help! πŸ€—

• For sure! Have fun!

• I will get you wasted!!!
    You're a weak drinker.
    I'm ashamed you walk this earth!!!

0|1
    1|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes