Does this photo change the way you look at fruits and vegetables?

Does this photo change the way you look at fruits and vegetables?
  • yes, they are our friends and they have feelings too-- i will no longer eat them
    Vote A
  • no, it does not change how i look at them-- i will still eat them
    Vote B
  • i'm a banana
    Vote C
  • i'm asexual
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• How people can't realize that our society is sick for eating these poor vegetables. It is scientifically proven that their nerves react to exogenous stimuli and can feel stress... I no longer eat animals, herbs, vegetables and seeds (they are vegetable's baby ffs!!). Actually I'm dying of hunger but at least I respect every living thing out there.

1|4
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Why should that photo change the way I looked at them? Course not. But plants do actually have feelings too- that much is true. Plant roots include various “zones,” including a “transition zone,” which is electrically active and seems analogous to the animal brain—it contains a mechanism similar to neurotransmitters. Another part of the root, the root cap, can sense various physical properties “such as gravity, humidity, light, oxygen, and nutrients.” Most cells in plants can make and transmit neuron-like activity. In roots, every cell can do so.

Plants also produce serotonin, GABA, and melatonin, which act as hormones and neurotransmitters in animal brains, though it’s not yet known what they do in plants. Intriguingly, drugs such as Prozac, Ritalin, and methamphetamines can disrupt these “neurotransmitters” in plants. Plants sense light, but they also communicate with one another using chemicals. They “know” when they’re being touched. They integrate all of this information without the kind of neural system that animals have.

And they have memory—the ability to store and recall an event at a later time. In experiments carried out with Mimosa pudica, the “touch-me-not” plant, in which potted mimosas were dropped repeatedly onto foam from 15 centimeters (about 6 inches) above, The plants closed their leaves in response to the fall initially, but stopped doing so after four to six drops, having learnt that there was no danger. It’s not that they were no longer able to close their leaves—they still would do so in response to touch. And they retained their memory, and this ability to discriminate between harmless falls and potentially harmful (about to be eaten) touches, after a month.

Frantisek Baluska at the University of Bonn, Germany, has pushed further into the question of consciousness by suggesting that plants may even experience pain. They release the chemical ethylene when stressed—when being eaten, attacked, or cut. Nearby plants can sense the ethylene. One researcher equated this release of ethylene with a scream. Since plants also produce the chemical in large quantities when their fruit are ripe and ready to be eaten, there’s conjecture that they’re using ethylene as an anesthetic (animals can also be knocked out with ethylene, an anesthetic). And domesticated fruit plants release far more of it; their larger and more abundant fruit yields cause them greater pain and suffering, just as it does for dairy cows and battery hens...

0|1
    0|0
    • thank you

• Course, I'll still eat them, since fruits evolved for the sole purpose of being eaten by animals anyway. But remember, the next time that you boil a potato or a carrot, that you're literally boiling that plant's brain alive...

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

What Guys Said 14

Recommended myTakes