The coffee industry. Curious how much it makes?

*Disclosure, this is information based off 2 years ago, but I was in the industry 8 years*

We all know profit is added to everything. But have you ever thought about the coffee industry? How much it makes, how much resources it gets through? Vegans beware.

Firstly I’m English and I cba to convert to all currencies (American posts never convert to others so why should I?). Convert to your own currency for an idea for you.

I used to work in a high end supermarket cafe. I was trained both front and back of house but I generally worked back (aka cooking). I did full breakfasts, burgers, toasties, lasagne, soup, salads, etc etc. Standard cafe food. I was also a fully trained barista.

On a normal day (not a special holiday or anything) we used to get through about 6-8 bags of coffee beans and about 40-60 bottles of 4 pint bottles of milk. Not including soya milk. At Christmas it was 80-100 bottles and 12-16 bags of beans. That’s a lot of milk and beans.

Given here an Americano (coffee and hot water) is about £1.65 and a latte (coffee and hot milk) is £1.85 you know that the establishment is paying for the person to make it, clean up afterwards, the dishwasher, the detergent, the table, the chairs, etc etc.. would you like to know how much that americano cost the company?

3p. That’s all. Your coffee is 3p, even after grinding and heating.

next time you feel guilty for your morning cuppa being made wrong think to this post... the company won’t suffer. The barista might be peeved but you have well and truly paid for your coffee to be made right!

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Milk costs like 25p for the portion of milk you use in a coffee from a supermarket. But that has taxes and imports and profit margins in it.

Cost and Starbucks I assume supply their own milk so they pay pennies for the cost of the milk. Cofeee is the same. They pay 1 pound a day for workers in Africa. No cost there.

The only cost is the salary of the workers which is like 30p per coffee.

So you are literally talking £2 per coffee profit minimum.

That is very profitable, especially as i am from the automotive industry. We do not have profit margins like that. Our initial spend is waaaay higher

• I worked in a supermarket cafe. It came straight from farmers and didn’t have the added costs on. Cafes also attract VAT which is calculated into the price.

Coffee is NOT the same... I’m too flabbergasted to even try and approach that one... that’s like saying all oranges are the same.

I would be amazed if the cost for the worker was that high to be honest. Given the speed a trained barista can go at and the wage over here

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to want to work in Starbucks so this was interesting to learn