What's 1 ethnic cuisine you think is mediocre?

What's 1 ethnic cuisine you feel is mediocre and doesn't really have many (if any) redeeming features/dishes?

please state reason why?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Dutch
    they eat mostly frozen potatos...
    And Scandinavian in general...
    I know a few relatives and otjer people from there and their veggies and products are so fabric.. Plastic? I don't know how to explain it but the best about Balkan is that at least out food is more natural

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't really put it in such an objective way. I don't think any ethnic cuisine is "mediocre" because that's not a judgment I can or should make.

Instead, I would just say that there are certain cuisines I personally don't like very much. The two major ones I can think of are the Russian/Slavic cuisine and the Thai cuisine.
    In the case of the Russian (and Eastern European) cuisine, I feel like many dishes are very heavy. So, while that can be nice to have on a cold winter day, it's not something I'd want to eat on a regular basis. Besides that, I also don't find the vegetables they use super appealing.

In the case of the Thai cuisine, it's mainly a matter of ingredients. While I don't "hate" those food products, I'm really not a big fan of them. For example tropical fruits (Mango, pineapple etc.) are not my thing. I also don't like the fact that some Thai dishes can be quite sweet because they include fruits.
    However, there's also a societal reason why I'm not so much into Thai food. Here in Switzerland, Thailand is considered the "paradise on earth" among all the baby boomers (people aged 50-70). They are completely obsessed with Thailand and its culture/food. I know it's a little unfair to say this but this circumstance has made Thailand a little unappealing to me as a young person. I'm sure I would love it if I went there but here in Switzerland, it has the aura of an "old people thing".

But again, I'm not saying Russian or Thai food is mediocre or even bad. I'm just saying that I'm personally not so much into it.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• American food. Most of it seems to be high in saturated fat Burgers, pizzas and fries etc.

0|1
    0|0
  • Thai green curry. Seriously, it isn't that great - it's pretty weak tasting and kinda sickly.

0|1
    0|0
  • American. It's the same type of food over and over, for example burger and pizzas. I like Pakistani, Indian, and Arabic food better.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't like British cuisine.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not sure if considered ethnic but British.

0|1
    0|0
  • Probably Costa Rican..

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• I'm biased towards the Mediterranean cuisine because I'm a self-proclaimed meat/fish eater.
    So anything with overabundance of vegetables and spices looks pretty unattractive to me.

It may not be as "bland" as the British cuisine, but to me it looks like the majority of such dishes was created in a lawn mower, accidentally.
    I think beauty is in the simplicity.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like fish and chips, but otherwise, English food seems to be very bland.

0|1
    0|0
  • Eastern European Pork/Sausages

Went to Prague expecting something amazing, got grisle and chewy rubber as a result.

0|1
    0|0
  • I really think Japanese food is overrated. There’s sushi (which I don’t like), and that’s just about it.

0|1
    0|0
    • Then you know nothing about Japanese food ;-). There's actually a million other things besides sushi. Japanese cuisine is very diverse. There's anything from curry, to noodle dishes, stews, Japanese-style BBQ and vegetables/salads prepared in different ways.

• Sushi is considered quintessentially Japanese here in the west but in Japan, it's actually considered something rather special that you wouldn't eat all the time. Maybe like certain holiday foods (stuffed turkey etc.) in North America.

• France. Not much for liquor. And snails is a bit out of my comfort zone. They do however got a extended selection of cheese

0|1
    0|0
  • Egyptian.

Nothing much to it, that isn't done a lot better elsewhere...

0|1
    0|0
  • The Ethiopian cuisine, if it exist in the first place.

0|1
    0|0
  • British is so bland. Not much wonder curry is so popular there

0|1
    0|0
  • Definitely japanese. And jewish.

0|1
    0|0
    • Because sushi is a little bit better than shit and the one time I tried something different than sushi it was so full of salt I ate just because I already paid for it.
      Jewish food is bland, basically different plates of salad served directly from the fridge like leftovers combined with eastern pita bread.

• Buddhist cuisine

0|1
    0|0
  • Italian

0|1
    0|0
  • So far I have not come across one

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes