Why would some people have a much more caloric dinner than lunch?

If they have the time and the appetite to eat more during lunchtime?

Why would some people have a much more caloric dinner than lunch?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because some people just like to eat a massive dinner (feels good to eat heaps as a last meal before you go to bed, compared to lunch).

I personally do it because I like to have my big meal post workout (which is usually around dinner time or later).

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it’s a cultural thing... I know a lot of people here consciously try to eat a smaller dinner because it’s better for weight loss and maintaining but other than that everyone has dinner as their main meal. When you go to a restaraunt dinner is always bigger, more filling and more expensive than the lunch options

1|0
    0|0
    • Huh... that's so strange to me... Nutritionally that's the worst thing you can do.
      Yeah, makes sense it's a cultural thing.

• Thanks for MHO 😊

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• That's what we Americans do. We don't have time in the day time to have a huge big lunch, we are very busy working our jobs. When we get off of work we have the whole evening off to sit down and join a fine meal with the family. Since we don't eat much in the daytime we have more food at night time to help rebuild the muscles that we have torn down in the daytime

1|0
    0|0
    • **In my Q I said: "If they have the time and the appetite to eat more during lunchtime?"

• Show All
    • We're so used to eating just a sandwich at lunch time even on our days off we keep it at that because we're trained in our minds that the big meal of the day comes at night time with the gathering of the family, so it's in our heads to always keep it that way when working and not working

• They say the most important meal of the day is breakfast but we never follow that

• Technically you're very correct, the biggest meal of the day should be at lunch time and a smaller meal at dinner time. No one should eat after 8:00 pm. I think as you point out, time is an issue, most people have more time in the evening than at the noon hour. You by the way are gorgeous!

0|0
    0|0
    • Not wanting to argue you, but could you be more specific considering people go to sleep at different time. For example what do you consider the normal day rythm of people to be?

• @Zenurus I did think of that but most average people are up around 6:00 to 7:00 am at work by 7:00 to 8:00 am, eat lunch somewhere between 12:00 to 1:30 pm with only 30 minutes for lunch, finish work at around 4:00 to 5:00 pm and home by 6:00 pm and eat dinner or supper by 7:00 pm.

• when were young a lunch an dinner is all we need if no medical problems an its medium size lunch an big dinner nut mist eat to much fat an grease an not enofe veggies thats ehat doctors say but when we get older big lunch medium dinner an we should space meals 8 to 9 hrs apart so we dont get so hungry for snacks

0|0
    0|0
  • I eat a bigger dinner because I don't have much time at noon to eat much, but culturally, lunch is the biggest meal of the day for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because during the day, generally you are more active so it behooves a person to eat a lighter lunch so they won't be weighed down.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I don't, but it's tradition for many that supper is the big meal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never watched my calories, never will. But to answer your question the definition of lunch is a meal eaten in the middle of the day, typically one that is lighter or less formal than an evening meal. Whereas dinner usually refers to the most significant meal of the day. Aside from them being what they are getting stuffed at lunch would put most people in a lazy sleepy mode, which isn't all that great when you have to go back to work in a few minutes. And when you're back home you can let yourself go and take a nap right after if you wish. Another aspect to consider economics, many people eat a small lunch just for the purpose of getting their energy up and when they go home they cook a nicer bigger meal. Next factor would be time, many have a 30 min break at most, which isn't enough time for the restaurant to cook anything decent and for you having time to enjoy it.

0|0
    0|0
    • See... that's the opposite of what any nutritionist would tell you - which is scientifically a lot more correct.
      Lunch gives you the fuel for the rest of the day while dinner makes you pack on the pounds and you don't digest it as well as you do the meals previous to it.

Also, my Q had this in it (which you might've skipped): "If they have the time and the appetite to eat more during lunchtime?"

• Your question had what in it? xD.. this is your entire question "Why would some people have a much more caloric dinner than lunch... If they have the time and the appetite to eat more during lunchtime?" .. nutritionists will tell you that it is best to eat 7 small meals a day as well, but who cares? maybe you should have done a myTake instead of asking a question because it seems to me you're trying to educate people on better eating habits and not really trying to find out why they do what they do..

• ps: I have addressed the second part of the question by providing you the definition of "lunch" .. if people ate a lot it would simply be called dinner.. the whole concept behind lunch is the fact that it is typically lighter...

• All meals are like that here

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Well, you might as well ask the other way around, no? I suppose it comes down to preferences and also to what they're used to in their culture. In Italy for instance they have big lunches and big dinners. If I can have only one big meal I prefer to to be dinner, because it's the end of the day, I can relax and just enjoy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Comfort food and the larger meal may help them sleep.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes