Why do people criticise English tastes?

I've often seen American shows that criticise English cooking/dinners. I don't understand the point of such jokes, considering that some of the most world wide known chefs are English. Is it just banter, or is there a genuine reason?

I can vouch that we can use spices.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There are many stereotypes about British food, and none of them positive. British food has (undeserved) reputation for being bad, stodgy, gross, weird, greasy and generally not something you want to eat.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• It's not just the Americans, I'm an European and I also think that the British cuisine is rather lackluster, to say the least.
    It is just a bunch of roasted things and baked beans placed onto a plate, there isn't much of cuisine to speak of.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it's just jokes, the same way everyone says Americans just eat burgers. England has the best Indian food which I find hilarious. The English version of Indian food I should say.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some British dishes are extremely bland. While there are many talented British chefs, the staple dishes are not something that an American pallet would normally appreciate.

0|0
    1|0
  • what is American cuisine
    a diabetics delight
    of fat salt sugar

2|1
    0|0
  • Let's face it, English cuisine is not taking the world by storm.
    England does have good chefs, but one thing doesn't imply the other.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because traditionally, English food sucked. It was some of the least palatable and blandest fare in the world.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not just Americans. Trust me. Everybody hates brits

0|0
    2|1
  • Generally, traditional British cuisine is bland. Things like pies, fish and chips etc

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a stereotype and a running gag. But also, people tend to complain about food that is different from what they are used to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Humans always want to feel better than others, one way to do this is criticising others. Just don't pay them much attention, doesn't worth

0|0
    0|0
  • Good point... And some of the worst food in the developed world is in the US.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it really is very different same language doesn't mean same culture or same tastes

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh you Waaatttt? Would a crumpet dandy you?

0|0
    0|0
  • English food is typically bland and WAY overcooked. Plus a lot of it is just freaking gross.

0|0
    0|1
  • because English people know how to cook well, just look at English chefs
    and secondly most americans can't cook thats why they love fats food and thats why most americans are fat

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• Honestly I think it’s just jovial fun and there are a lot of parallels with their cooking (particularly fried foods). Though in North America we really shy away from any organ meat or “alternative” animal products such as blood pudding.

1|0
    0|0
  • My friend who studied abroad in London had the worst case of home sickness... she said the food was too bland and/or mushy for her tastes. I’m hoping to one day visit to try the food for myself, but I’m sure there are lots of dishes that are amazing, like beef Wellington, toffee pudding, bangers and mash, and crumpets. 😋

0|0
    0|0
  • I am not sure about British tastes about food overall, but if they are to be predicted on the rest of the things British like or have a developed taste for, then your cuisine is sophisticated ;). ♡

Something called "American cuisine" is quite unexistant, isn't it? They are just a mash up of many different everything-s. xD

Anyway, says just a fellow non British european girl. Maybe I don't know, and yet, maybe I do know, or at least have good guesses here and there, at least partially, lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm personally not a fan of British food but I do think it looks like food for 'real men ' you know alphamalefood.

Don't know why but in my mind it just is , like those beans and sausage , manfood😂.

Unlike French food, that's feminine food escargots and crepes

0|0
    0|0
  • laughs and giggles, most world wide chefs are from Europe not america unless you mean McDonald's and KFC

1|0
    0|1
  • Maybe because it generally seems bland in flavor but hey what do i know?

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m from England and British Food is bland and boring AF thank god for the introduction of Thai Indian and other restaurants

0|0
    0|0
  • Because the stereotype is that England is bad at cooking and burns his food constantly even when he just wanna eat cereal.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a Czech person living in UK and yes, British cuisine is terrible... sorry... I like everything else about UK

0|0
    0|0
  • Whilst British food lacks the flair and polish of French cuisine or Italy etc it is far from the tasteless swill that people seem to think it is, yes some of the food is stodgy but Britain tends to be colder than other countries and people wanted food that was both filling, hearty and cheap to make after a long day's work. I do find it rather amusing that Americans are criticising anyone's food considering their intake of fast greasy food, when I visited America the food was salty, processed and plain nasty, luckily I could afford to eat in the decent restaurants. Places like Wendys were disgusting

0|0
    0|0
    • Lmao Wendy's is fast food why the fuck would you want to eat there when visiting? I don't know where in the US you visited but depending on what city you're in, you can always find really good cheap eats. I live in New York, so you can almost never go wrong with a good bagel or pastrami sandwich. If you're in the south, like around New Orleans, they got really good seafood. Southwest you can get really good barbecue. Like "salty processed and plain nasty" is specifically describing fast food, which doesn't really define the American cuisine at all, especially considering how large the country is and how much the food differs in different parts of the country.

• Show All
    • @purplevicky118 cheap processed food is never "good assed eating". I prefer to eat good quality fresh food made using high quality ingredients not crap that's been churned out in a factory. America has an obesity epidemic and it's easy to see why when eating out is so cheap.

• Bruhhhh you ignored everything I said lmao. Nothing good is ever "churned out of a factory," I know that, and that ain't what I'm saying. My favorite thing about food in America are mom and pop places. Where they make everything themselves - homemade pasta, homemade dough, that's the way to go. One of my favorite joints in New York is this one dumpling place in Chinatown - $3 for a plate of dumplings and $3 for a plate of noodles. They hand-stretch the noodles, knead out their own dumpling wrappers, everything about that place is homemade, and it's cheap and freaking good. You go to any good deli, they tell you all the local butchers they get their meat from, tell you how they pick their cuts, tell you why you're getting quality. You're still talking about fast food with your "obesity epidemic" and "factory" talk. That just isn't what I think when I think "American Food" and it honestly kinda sucks that that's what y'all think, when there's really a whole lot more.

Recommended myTakes