Do you say " pop " or " soda "?

Do you say Decided to ask and I'm going to show this to my boyfriend because he heard me say, " pop " and he said, " no nerd, it's soda " lol It was a long debate. So now I'm curious!
  • Pop
    Vote A
  • Soda
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Correction... there are at least 3 kinds of people (in the united states at least). You have the people from Iowa and that area of the states who say "Pop." And then most everywhere else people call it "soda"... EXCEPT IN THE SOUTH. Where it is called "Coke" and where people ask you what kind of coke you want when the options are Dr. Pepper, Sprite, or Orange Crush. Coke is the southern version of "soda," and it doesn't mean coca cola.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for this so it's basically where you are from.

• Show All
    • @HungLikeAHorsefly i thought kentucky is the south too lol

• @DizzyDesii I'd say it's a mixture. I doubt you'll find many people from the Deep South who consider Kentucky to be southern. However, there are a lot of cultural and linguistic similarities.

Most Helpful Girls

• Neither. These are both Americanisms.

I'd be more likely to just refer to something as a soft drink, a fizzy drink, or just directly name the drink, such as Coke or Pepsi.

2|0
    0|0
  • In England we say “pop” but since I’ve been in America, everyone seems to say “soda” which is weird to me.

1|0
    0|0
    • Did you know what they meant when you first heard soda? One of my friends cousin came to visit from Mexico and I forgot what food I was offering but where she was from they said it differently and she didn't know what I said.

• Oh yeah because I first heard it on tv shows as they were getting a can or bottle of cola. Plus, I’ve been to America so many times, I’ve heard it a lot but still not used to it. Lol Also, my husband said the other day that he’s got me a soda that I’d love... it was a bottle of Mexican cola. It’s always going to sound odd to me though.

It doesn’t surprise me that that happened when your friend’s cousin came to visit because everyone has different words and sayings for different things. It definitely makes conversations interesting! Lol

• Thank you

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 23

• I grew up around Pittsburgh PA, and we always said pop. When I was an adult, I moved across the mountains and now live around Harrisburg PA. Everybody here says soda, so now I say soda.

I dropped a lot of Pittsburgh lingo. If somebody was a jerk, I'd call them a 'jaggoff', but only people around Pittsburgh would know that's an insult. Jaggoff is a reference to a thorny jagger bush that sticks and hurts you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I say pop more often, but I'm trying to shake that and call it soda!

1|0
    0|0
    • It's just Coke in the south

• Show All
    • That would be confusing haha, I would think my only options are variations of coca cola. Is that specific to the deep South or all the way up to Kentucky?

• Because I'm from the Midwest and I think our accents and lingo are hoky lol

• i say soda. in my state most people on the eastern portion say soda. but people born and living in and around pittsburgh say pop

0|1
    0|0
  • I call everything a "Coke". Uncultured people say "soda" and "pop" is a verb. As in "say it again and I'll pop you in the chops".

0|0
    1|0
  • I'm from the South and we tend to call all fizzy soft drinks "cokes," whether they're Coca Cola or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • We just call it cooldrink here in South Africa, though the term 'soft drink' is more formal ie. that's what you would read in restaurant menus.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a regional thing. Here in Michigan everyone calls it pop, soda is more of a southern thing as far as I know

0|0
    0|0
  • Here where I'm at it's called soda but when I used to go to Ohio to visit my in-laws, they called it. Pop.

0|0
    0|0
  • Soda cuz I’m from out west, east of Nevada everyone calls it pop like a bunch of hillbillies 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • soft drink, I'm learning British English at school and that's the word I got to know first.

0|0
    0|0
  • I use both but soda more

1|1
    0|0
    • I have only said soda once. Majority of time it's pop.

• I'm the opposite I use soda mostly and only say pop rarely. I hear it called pop when I'm down south and soda up north mostly

• Soda. I also say Cola and Coke.
    I never say Pop.

1|1
    0|0
    • Lmao i never heard anyone call it coke unless it was coke or cocaine. Im im Mississippi and we always called it “drank” or whatever was written on the can.

• Pop of. course

1|0
    0|0
  • Soda

1|0
    0|0
  • Soda Pop

1|0
    0|0
  • I say soda.

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither, only north Americans say that shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say pop.

0|0
    0|0
  • Soda.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pop lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Soda

0|0
    0|0
  • Soda

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither. Fizzy drink.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 17

• Coke, if I'm speaking English. I just say the name if I'm speaking my first language.

1|0
    0|0
    • Lmao i never heard anyone call it coke unless it was coke or cocaine. Im im Mississippi and we always called it “drank” or whatever was written on the can.

• Neither. In the south we mostly say “Drank” like “Yall want some drank?”

0|0
    0|0
  • I say neither soda nor pop. I call every soda drink a coke. Here if you say you want a coke people ask you what kind of coke do you want.

0|0
    0|0
    • Lmao i never heard anyone call it coke unless it was coke or cocaine. Im im Mississippi and we always called it “drank” or whatever was written on the can. My boyfriend lives in the north and says pop. people on tv say soda

• @DizzyDesii Really! I live in southern Tennessee and people from TN, northern Alabama and northern Georgia.
      Maybe it's just a hillbilly thang lol

• I say soda, pop makes me think of the sound of popping rather than the beverage.

0|0
    0|0
  • We call it soft drink in Australia

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm a soda kind of girl. Sometimes I get redundant and say soda pop.

0|0
    0|0
  • In Australia we call it a fizzy drink or soft drink

0|0
    0|1
  • I say soda... pop is very Midwestern...

1|0
    0|0
  • Soda, definitely.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pop. Pretty much no one says soda in the UK.

1|0
    0|0
  • Diet Soda, Please. xx

0|0
    0|0
    • I actually Like the word "pop" when I hear it. makes the soda refreshing. xx

• Neither. I call them fizzy drinks.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm English so I call it pop or fizzy pop

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither. Fizzy drink.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say pop

0|0
    0|0
  • neither. i say either soft drinks or fizzy drinks

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually the name of it, sometimes soda.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes