Do you say " pop " or " soda "?

Do you say Decided to ask and I'm going to show this to my boyfriend because he heard me say, " pop " and he said, " no nerd, it's soda " lol It was a long debate. So now I'm curious!
  • Pop
  • Soda

1925

Most Helpful Guys

• Correction... there are at least 3 kinds of people (in the united states at least). You have the people from Iowa and that area of the states who say "Pop." And then most everywhere else people call it "soda"... EXCEPT IN THE SOUTH. Where it is called "Coke" and where people ask you what kind of coke you want when the options are Dr. Pepper, Sprite, or Orange Crush. Coke is the southern version of "soda," and it doesn't mean coca cola.

• Thank you for this so it's basically where you are from.

• @HungLikeAHorsefly i thought kentucky is the south too lol

• @DizzyDesii I'd say it's a mixture. I doubt you'll find many people from the Deep South who consider Kentucky to be southern. However, there are a lot of cultural and linguistic similarities.

Most Helpful Girls

• Neither. These are both Americanisms.

I'd be more likely to just refer to something as a soft drink, a fizzy drink, or just directly name the drink, such as Coke or Pepsi.

• In England we say “pop” but since I’ve been in America, everyone seems to say “soda” which is weird to me.

• Did you know what they meant when you first heard soda? One of my friends cousin came to visit from Mexico and I forgot what food I was offering but where she was from they said it differently and she didn't know what I said.

• Oh yeah because I first heard it on tv shows as they were getting a can or bottle of cola. Plus, I’ve been to America so many times, I’ve heard it a lot but still not used to it. Lol Also, my husband said the other day that he’s got me a soda that I’d love... it was a bottle of Mexican cola. It’s always going to sound odd to me though.

It doesn’t surprise me that that happened when your friend’s cousin came to visit because everyone has different words and sayings for different things. It definitely makes conversations interesting! Lol

• Thank you