So, I bought an iron cast skillet?

Apparently, I can’t even use it yet until I season/grease it. it’s so intimidating! how should I go about it? thank you!

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Olive oil and salt
    Sprinkle salt in skillet use paper towel and wipe entire skillet inside rinse salt out and drizzle very olive oil on skillet and spread evenly until it completely coated

1|0
    0|0
  • You got to use it to get it seasoned. They can be pains some time. Cook some meat in it

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, I was thinking bacon? I think I read that somewhere lol

• Yeah, after each use, wash it with just pure water, then put it back on the stove, the grease it with some olive oil. If you ever wash it at all

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Most of the better ones such as Lodge come pre-seasoned, but you have to continue to season it and the longer you treat it right the more non stick it will get and the longer it will stay in top condition.

Most nonstick skillet coatings scratch off with wear and tear, but properly maintained cast iron keeps its seasoned, stick-free surface for a lifetime (and beyond—some cooks pass skillets down through generations as cherished treasures). After each use, wash the skillet lightly with water and a sturdy, non-abrasive brush. (Soap, metal brushes, and extended soaking will destroy the nonstick coating.) Thoroughly dry the skillet, return it to the stovetop, and heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over low heat. Using paper towels, rub the oil into the skillet, creating an even, shiny black patina. Repeat this step as needed, wiping out excess oil before storing.

Even if your cast iron has been neglected, you can restore it. Put the pan over low heat, add enough vegetable oil to cover its bottom by about ¼ inch, sprinkle in a generous handful of coarse kosher salt, and scrub with a wad of paper towels. The salt acts as an abrasive, helping you remove any rust or cooked-on food. Rinse the skillet under warm water and repeat as necessary until you’ve restored the pan to its former glory.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bacon. And keep it on the stove after you serve the bacon. Let the fat coagulate and the heat it up again. Some even burn the fat into the pan. Seasoning doesnr mean you dont cook with it. It means you only rise.. not wash the pan.

0|0
    0|0
  • I cooked bacon in mine. Not saying that I did it right, but that's what I did. It seems good to me. Good luck BtzBabe

1|0
    0|0
  • YouTube there are many ways to do it and it is fine that works over many many years seasoning the longer you use it the more you use it the better it gets

0|0
    0|0
  • Turn the oven on to.350°F. grease the skillet well with a thin layer, then place it upside down in the oven for about an hour.

1|0
    0|0
  • Metal needs to be seasoned and that means that oils need to soak the metal and then get to the point where it is always there.
    You can use cooking oil. Grease the entire inside of the pan and cook i the oven at about 350. There is no specific. But you need to do this 2 or three times. My grandmother used to fry fatty bacon and then take out the bacon and bake it about I guess 30 minutes. Then she would fry chicken, with skin and when it was finished she baked the pan with the oil she used. Then she used Crisco or some other kind of grease and did it again. She claimed that the bacon and chicken seasoned it with what she cooked. Never wash with soap. You can use water but basically wipe it clean. Some folk leave it on the oven rather than store it. But it must be done more than one time to do some good southern cooking. That's what my Granny said and she was a great cook.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bacon and more bacon. The greatest thing to use when you want to test drive that skillet. Good luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you going to use it as weapon?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes