Do you agree with the supreme courts decision that the baker shouldn't have had to decorate a wedding cake for a gay couple because of his religion?

• Yes
  • No

1110

Most Helpful Guys

• I agree with the decision and feel it didn't go far enough. No one should ever be forced to provide a private based service for another if it is against their moral/religious beliefs and principles. America is based on liberty, not communism! Or at least we used to be free.

• Yes, I agree with it. Business owners who can be proven beyond reasonable doubt to hold religious beliefs should be able to refuse to engage in transactions where their beliefs are in conflict with those transactions. Those beliefs should be readily evidenced within the belief system that the person subscribes to, rather than them just deciding that God told them not to serve tomatoes to communists (for example).

As customers of a business you have the ability to take your business elsewhere. If the choices of a given business prove unpopular enough then they will go out of business. That's how it works. There is no need for the government to become involved except in cases of fraud, risk to health and safety, acting in a manner such as to prohibit competition, etc.

Most Helpful Girls

• No. Because now you open the floodgates to people who don't want to serve various racial groups, or whatever other arbitrary traits they want to discriminate based on. There's no justification for refusing to make a gay wedding cake that doesn't also allow a baker to not make a cake for an interracial wedding or whatever else.

And what else does this apply to? Muslim supermarket staff refusing to restock bacon and alcohol? Usually when we hear story's about that happening nobody sides with the Muslim, now you have to or you hold a double standard.

• Yes. Gay people have rights and religious people have rights. And rightly so. The baker has every right to refuse their custom if it's against his religious beliefs. The gay couple should go elsewhere for their wedding cake. I don't believe in taking away one person's rights just to give another person theirs. The baker shouldn't be forced to go against his religious teachings. That causes prejudice.

Just like if a gay coupled owned a restaurant, and a religious couple wanted to dine there , the gay couple should have every right to refuse their custom based on the couple's religious stance against gay people. The religious couple should respect that decision and just go elsewhere