When out in a bar type environment, would you let a person buy you a drink if you weren’t interested in them?

I donโ€™t accept drinks from people unless Iโ€™ve bought them a drink first, or Iโ€™m interested in knowing them better.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Sure. Might be a Japanese thing but seems incredibly rude to me to simply refuse the offer unless you come up with some excuse like that you've had too much to drink or something like that (at which point you'd have to leave after finishing your drink).

That said, most of the people who buy me drinks are guys, not girls, and I try to repay them by buying them a round in the future. It's pretty rare for a girl to buy me a drink.

Plus anyone who buys me a drink will tend to spark some interest in me, even if I didn't particularly like them before. :-D

It might also be due to the type of bars I go to now. I favor small and cozy ones these days where you always see regular customers there hanging out after work, always the same faces and just a new one here and there. So if I refused a drink from a new person or someone I didn't particularly like, chances are that I would see them again and again as a regular, and it would be kind of awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, girls buy me drinks all the time and then try to take me their beds, but i just tell them "what just because you got me a drink you thought you were going to get sex out of it? I never asked you to buy me a drink in the first place". Yeah, a lot of them get piss, but i got my free drink and i'm happy.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I know it's horrible but I do let people buy me drinks even if I'm not interested in them. Mind you, that doesn't happen very often. If they buy me a drink, I'll give them a chance and stick around for a chat. I'm not that ungrateful that I would just walk away with the drink.

1|1
    0|0
  • I've let my male friends buy me drinks at the bar before and I'm not interested in most of them but I trust them not to but anything in my drink.

But if it was a stranger no way unless I can get the drink from the bar with them, I know it sounds bad but I kinda think theses men need to learn their lesson but I will talk to them and be friendly but just because you voluntarily bought me a drink doesn't mean you get to sleep with me, I'm not that cheap.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 66

• As a boy yes, no problem - but as a girl I would me more reluctant. The guy wants something in return - thats the deal if you accept the drink. So often it is wise for a girl to nicely refuse to accept a free drink - it will cost you too much! (time getting rid of him again).

0|0
    0|0
  • I would definitely buy you a drink. Bartender, rustle up a keg of Mojito for MyLady please...

Refreshing to think there are women like you out there. The ones at bars and dance clubs are mostly there for the free drinks and try to suck the blood right out of your wallet. I don't mind buying drinks but let's have a conversation first longer than it takes to mix a drink.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's the best policy. An offer to buy you a drink is an invitation to conversation, generally in the hope of a romantic relationship. Accepting the drink if you are willing to talk.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would but it doesn't tend to happen to guys, we buy the drinks. My girlfriend never has to spend anything when she goes out, all the guys just buy her drinks - and I don't think she should reject it just because she's not interested, if it's not a genuine offer then they shouldn't be offering lol

0|0
    0|0
  • If there is another reason for accepting, yes. For example if you share an interest for a subject and want a good chat. The next drink will than be on me. :D
    I would not accept it if I were there for dating and I had no interest, just like you state.

0|0
    0|0
  • See that is serious lol... that means you're a serious women
    but its probably more a certain context where girls take free drinks.. my group of friends in the 20's -- those girls were the queens at getting free stuff lol...

maybe its more youngers girls, potentially...

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure. I get a free drink and leave. Girls do it all the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I often drink with mates who are very generous, if some of their other friends are poorer then I, I will buy everyone a drink at the table, because my friends would have definitely purchased many drink for me in the past, and I will kind of owe them back. Out of respect.

0|0
    0|0
    • Same, but I mean strangers. Would you let them buy you a drink if you intended to just walk off

• Nah, got too many enemies, putting me down would be an easy way to stop me from smashing their teeth in, so drugging me would be a useful tactic.

• No.
    I've let girls I'm not interested in dance on me before but that was mostly cause I didn't wanna be a dick about it.
    But drinks? Nah I can't let her waste her money like that

1|0
    0|0
  • I do it all the time. I pride myself on the fact that i never spend a cent in a bar/club, excluding entrance. I rarely drink, but when i do, im not buying

1|0
    0|0
  • Perhaps... Not if they're ugly, but maybe if they're attractive but not my type, just for the power trip.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd feel obligated to talk to a woman who bought me a drink, so if I were bored, sure, but if I wanted to talk to other women instead, I would decline.

0|0
    0|0
  • please dont. Guys then think you are interested and will be harsh of you turn them down later. If you reject right away it will be way more simple for both, as dumping someone is hard as well.

1|0
    0|0
    • I understand it's better to reject someone upfront, but why is it acceptable for someone to be harsh? I've heard of cases where men cuss out the same woman they were so "interested" in, and it doesn't make sense.

• I don't drink, and don't go to bars or anything similar. However, say I did, and a girl offered to buy me a beer I'm not interested that is buying me the drink because they're interested and that was their idea behind it, then no.

0|0
    0|0
  • With my experience, it probably isn't a form of personal attraction, so sure :)

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends, probably if you accept the drink that person is receiving the wrong message and you will need to deal with it later.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes but the person should also accept a drink from me afterwards ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

1|0
    0|0
  • I've known some people who do! I'm with you on this one, I think if the offer is there and you enjoy their company then go for it, otherwise politely decline!

0|0
    0|0
  • The most memorable time this has happened to me is at a bar, I walked over to and sat with 3 girls for a while and they each bought me a drink

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually when men buy you a drink, they are interested in something else.

1|0
    0|0
  • the few times I have gone to a bar has been to meet friends. I generally try to avoid the type of woman you meet at a bar

0|0
    0|0
  • If Iโ€™m not interested in her then I wouldnโ€™t accept the drink. No point in wasting her time and/or money.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im an outgoing person so yeah. Would buy them one, too.

0|0
    0|0
  • When someone tries or wants to buy me a drink I always ask... what's the catch?

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely! I have bought drinks for people I donโ€™t even know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Interested in them sexually, or interested in talking to them at all?

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but I wouldn't let her buy me a drink if I was interested either.

0|0
    0|0
  • Naww
    Itโ€™d e wrong to take advantage of themlije that without giving any interest

0|0
    0|0
    • So what you're saying is a drink is never freely given, it's with the expectation that it would lead to sex.

• Show All
    • I admit it would be wrong to accept a drink and run off to talk to someone else though :D

• @Astraea exactly how I feel man ๐Ÿ˜‚. Nothing about sex, just manners

• I wouldn't accept a drink from someone I wasn't interested in, to prevent them being led on..

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure
    A free drink is great but id keep an eye on them to ensure I don't get drugged

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 26

• Nope. I'll accept a drink offer only if I plan on having a conversation over said drink.

1|1
    0|0
  • Sometimes yes, but only if they insist on buying one and are nice to hang out with. Not everyone you get to know in a bar are the type of people you would or even could date. It doesn't mean you can't still enjoy their company.

1|0
    0|0
  • That depends how uninterested I am. If I think I'm uninterested but there is a possibility they could change my mind then I would accept the drink. If I don't think I will ever accept the guy as a romantic partner and the lack of interest is intense enough for me to make this conclusion I won't accept the drink.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I mean, Iโ€™m a broke uni student Iโ€™m not gonna refuse free booze. Iโ€™ll be polite to them and talk to them for a bit though.

3|1
    0|0
  • If they want to buy me a drink let them lol Iโ€™ll just tell them straight up Iโ€™m not interested and if they still want to Iโ€™m game itโ€™s a free drink lol

1|0
    0|0
  • When I was single yes but I was always careful with it.
    Make sure you see the barman make the drink.
    I had a guy offer me a beer one night and was quite persistent with wanting me to drink it. When I refused he put the beer down at the bar and walked away from it, I have a feeling that it was spiked.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't accept a drink from a stranger OR without actually watching the drink carefully being made and I will BE THE ONE WHO GETS IT. And if I leave I'll buy a new one myself. I'm not risking being drugged

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. As Iโ€™m in a relationship I feel it would possibly suggest Iโ€™m interested. Also the fear they may slip something in it is a possibility now days ๐Ÿ˜•

2|0
    0|0
    • Fear not. It is the drug they slipped into their drink that caused them to consider talking to ya...

• If i dont like someone i wouldn't accept the offer but otherwise i wouldn't mind

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes! Who would turn down a free drink?
    However, id make sure they didn't slip anything into it first...

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I believe if you do you're just leading them to a false sense of security. Which, karmically I wouldn't want it to come back to me!

1|1
    0|0
  • No.
    If they buy and send it to me I'd sent i back.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't go to bars, but I've let men buy my beer/wine/4loko before at gas stations.

0|0
    0|0
    • Whoa. Learn something new everyday. Now I know if I see a woman I want to fuck at a gas station I should offer to buy her a drink. Who would thunk it?

• Show All
    • @Dreamweaver671 ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ what a charmer!

• Let me tell you about this one time I took my date to her church. She's Catholic so she knew special skills involving getting on her knees... ;) D)

• I donโ€™t like the thought of it... itโ€™s scary to think anyone could slip something in your drink while alone..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes lol, and then id call my boyfriend over and have him sit next to me ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
    • harsh but smart ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Show All
    • Hahaha wait what? Is that a dis im confused ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Im extremly confused by the picture/age ๐Ÿ˜‚ didn't know s. o could age that fast ๐Ÿ˜…

• Omg im all over guys for free drinks lol tease them and get bought drinks x

1|0
    1|0
  • Nope, but I donโ€™t go to places where that would be likely to happen.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably yes, because I am to awkward to say no.. which would make me feel pretty bad later

0|0
    0|0
    • Ah. But I hate it when a woman feels bad in my company especially when I try so hard to make her feel like a Queen of Angels.

• I never turn down free booze

1|0
    0|0
  • No..

1|1
    0|0
    • My Queen thirst for thy ale of grape. Bring forth most haste and worship thy beauty for the Queen suffers no court Chester.

• Sure, if I can buy them a drink in return.

1|2
    0|0
  • No. I fear I may give the wrong message

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes one

1|0
    0|0
  • This is why I don't go to bars.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would, Ahahaha