Is it a requirement for your partner to know how to cook?

Or are you ok with them not knowing how to cook? Is cooking for someone a way to someone’s heart?

Personally, I don’t know how to cook for shit. And let’s not talk about my baking skills (I’ve made brownies that came out hard as rocks😂).

So is it a requirement for your partner to know how to cook? Deal breaker if they don’t?

1|2

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but preferable.
    There's "know how to cook" and there's "able to put knowledge to work". I KNOW how to make the best cake, period. I KNOW how to cook a lobster. I KNOW.
    Putting knowledge to work, however, is different.
    My favorite example is my latest attempt at cooking - a simple poverty dish: some meat, eggs, veggies, spice, salt, and black pepper. Throw everything on a pre-buttered frying pan, medium-low fire, wait ten-ish minutes, serve.
    It exploded. I'm not kidding you, it fucking EXPLODED. I don't know how. I don't know why. I went to take a piss, came back thirty seconds later, saw it blown like a balloon, managed to utter "oh fuck me", and it exploded. There were light burns, but no scars, thankfully. I had to use a broom on my ceiling to get it off. How many of you used a broom on your ceiling without the need to signal your neighbors upstairs to shut the hell up? Not too many, I imagine.

I don't mind if she doesn't know how to cook, I can teach her some basic recipes. What I would prefer is that she'd be able to actually put it into practice.
    I need a wife to keep me fed. T-T

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 94

• Anyone who is an adult should know how to cook. And I mean ANYONE! Men and women alike.
    You don't need to be a master chef. Jus know some basics at least. Not necessarily for each other. I'm thinking more for the sake of future children and not eating out all the time.

However despite that, it's not a deal-breaker for me if you can't.

2|0
    0|0
    • If you can follow directions , you can cook. It’s called laziness otherwise.

• Show All
    • @mel1695
      I'm going to say that you probably misread the instructions or did something else that messed ot up. Anyone can be a cook.
      That special touch you speak of is what separates a chef from a cook.
      Also brownies are baked. Baking, believe it or not, is entirely different from cooking.

• Let my "ot" typo serve as an example. (Get it? Serve?)
      I thought I wrote exactly what I intended, but I didn't double-check, so now I have to live with my mistake.

• To be honest, some time ago it was more of a feminine trait, now it's pretty much universal. More and more men acquire basic cooking skills, some of them really can prepare way more than scrambled eggs, so it's a shame if a woman can't. There are even women who boast that they can't cook shit. And if I were to consider if I wanted to start a relationship at my age with somebody that has no skills in the kitchen, it's a no-go. And mainly because it tells a lot about the mentality and approach to the life and duties as a whole. If everything you can do in the house is hoover the floor and maybe use a mop, expecting the guy will handle the rest (wires, pipes, powertools, etc.), cooking included (or even worse - going out every time you want to eat and spend a fuckton of money on that), then you basically contribute nothing to the household and would be considered a parasite.
    Again, I will stress it, it's more to do with the approach and the fact that you know nothing (and you're not Jon Snow) and didn't want or have the will to change that. If a guy like me can learn how to cook and bake, then it's something a monkey with half a brain can do.

1|0
    0|0
  • It would help if we could share the cooking, sure, but it's not a big issue as I can cook anyway.

You're okay being a total cook-fail, I'm sure you have other qualities... (or not)... :P

1|0
    0|0
  • For me, it's not a deal breaker in any way, because I am one to believe that cooking in a family should be a contribution from both partners. I have made bannana bread and cookies in the past that people have told me are awesome, and I have also been able to cook by myself while at school. I don't think it should ever be an expectation, and people that say "make me a sandwich" or "get in the kitchen" are losers.

1|0
    0|0
  • Requirement for what? Short term dating, ons-s, don't think so. I can carry some MREs on ons-s. Most of my partners hate my guts so I am not sure I would want them around my food unattended.

2|1
    0|0
  • My partner MUST know how to cook. Plain and simple. They must also know how to do housework. I refuse to live with a slouch and someone that cannot take care of themselves and do simple tasks. Their parent (s)/guardian (s) should have raised them better. If they didn't have any of the aforementioned people in their lives, I wonder how they made it far enough to even be looking for a partner.

0|0
    1|0
  • People who say its not that important:
    A. Don't work long hours.
    B. Don't value the little things.
    C. Haven't had a woman make them a sandwich.

i.pinimg.com/.../...793cf67fbb34904a7415ef28dd.jpg

1|0
    0|0
  • well i think that cooking has no relation with a way to someone's heart... coz u r not loved by ur skills but by ur nature and the soul... nd according to my point of view if anyone of the couple can't cook anything then also they can survive... hope it helps :-)

1|0
    0|0
  • Something like that really shouldn't be so important... besides that cooking doesn't have to be hard. If you don't really know what to do yourself than simply follow recipes 100%

1|0
    0|0
  • Well personally I wouldn't mind if my girlfriend didn't know how to cook, I love her by who she is, not by what she can cook... But then again she does know how to cook and she makes delicious food, having food made specially for you gives you a warm feeling, so in a sense it can be a way to get into someone's heart yes. But even if she didn't cook I would still love her with my all n. n

1|0
    0|0
  • Ya absolutely, everyone should know how to cook food. Then only they feel we can live independently. Cooking is an wonderful art, it is not easy to say. When both partners know about how to cook then they share all feelings and tastes and somemore... And that couple have more best memories life long

1|0
    0|0
  • Well it’s a requirement for me that they can take care of themselves on a basic level. I ain’t trying to babysit. So I guess cooking kinda falls under that category. I don't know just know how to bake a frozen pizza or something at least

1|0
    0|0
  • It would be nice if they did know, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if they didn't. As long as they could whip up something basic so I wasn't catering for them all the time, it wouldn't be an issue for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like if they know how to cook, and it's really awesome if they make me food, but I can cook and I'm so used to nobody knowing how to do it that I assume it's always on me lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really, I would do some of the cooking.
    But it would be nice to have some days off and have my partner cook for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, but I like to cook. I'd be fine with being the one to cook every night. I think cooking for someone shows you care, but it's not necessarily the way to their heart

1|0
    0|0
  • So what? What else do you bring to the relationship?

0|0
    2|0
  • I can cook, but don't exactly enjoy doing so. But I love to bake. It would help if my partner would know how to cook. But not nessarly needed. But then again, I believe everyone should learn how to cook.

0|0
    1|0
  • It is always better to have a certain skill and cooking is one of them definitely, I know how to cook and I am a guy and it is not so hard

1|0
    0|0
  • It's important she she knows how to cook, or is seriously willing to learn.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no, as chef, if she my partner can't cook, I can do it. But I would like her to know to cook 2-3 dishes.

1|0
    0|0
  • I love foods and it's my dream to marry the girl who knows how to cook very well.. But no worries.. I know how to cook and I'd help my partner to learn to cook..

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a nice to have, like a partner who can sing or any other talent. Obviously there will be issues if neither of you can cook and you expect to eat home cooked meals.

I think cooking a meal for someone is definitely an intimate act and a great way to someone's heart. That being said it's a nice to have not a must.

Also why not learn to cook together? If they are great at it they can teach you and it's a fun idea. If they are bad at it also then you can both take a class together.

I suck at cooking, so far it hasn't been a big deal, I look forward to learning and making my partner meals.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not everybody is going to be a master chef, but cooking isn’t exactly rocket science so I’d expect everyone to at least try

1|0
    0|0
  • Wouldn't matter to me, I know how to cook. So if she doesn't know or doesn't want i got it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really. I can cook, but it would be nice to have some days where I don’t, like say 50/50 (if our schedules allow). But it’s not a deal breaker

1|0
    0|0
  • Ya it's kind of a requirement. I don't know if I'd wanna be with someone who let's the microwave and take out do the cooking.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not a requirement for me because I already know how to cook. I think it best that at least one person in the relationship knows how to cook.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not a requirement, but as easy as it is to cook, if she doesn’t know how, I have to wonder how many other easy things she won’t do.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really, i can keep up with my diet with out the need to cook
    And for her i would cook for sure , but not as much as she needs , so in the end she would at least need to take care of herself

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 43

• It’s not a problem for me if they don’t know how to cook. BUT!!! It’s a problem if they expect me to cook for them all of the time. You have to at least TRY sometimes. A relationship is a two way street. So, you can’t just put in zero effort at all. And it was my father who actually taught me how to cook, he’s a certified chef. And he doesn’t use his penis as an excuse to avoid cooking. Man or woman, you should at least try.

1|0
    0|1
  • They can come knowing nothing, but they better come prepared to learn. He should be willing to learn at least 2-3 dishes (nothing fancy needed) so that he doesn't expect me to cook every night or waste money and go out every time I ask him to come up with dinner. I don't mind cooking up to 75% of the time, but if he refuses to pitch in or cover a meal here and there, I'll probably pick a fight.

2|0
    0|1
  • Haha i can't cook and neither can he. We plan on taking cookin classes together when i move with him haha

1|1
    0|1
  • Deal breaker if they wouldn’t learn. I think later down the road I’d resent being the one who ALWAYS had to cook- too 50s for me. He should at least be willing to learn to make salad, or chicken, or a grilled cheese. He doesn’t have to be some kind of Gordon Ramsey cookalike, just willing to make simple meals for us and any future family.

1|2
    1|1
  • It's not a necessity but it's definitely a bonus.

I love cooking and trying new recipes. My mother and Grandmother taught me how to cook and bake from a young age.

I admire guys who are independent and don't rely on other people to cook for them.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not so much a necessity, but it is a huge bonus if they can.
    And as a woman I would be so embarrassed if I was unable to prepare even the simplest of dishes.
    Fortunately both my fiancé and I are competent cooks, therefore we're able to share the cooking duties.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I can't stand people who don't know how to cook. You don't have to be a master chef but if you manage to set the kitchen on fire while boiling water I can't tolerate you. I had this one guy friend that was that way and he'd always rely on his girlfriend to cook which I can't put up with. That got unnecessarily rant-y, but unless they learn it's a deal breaker.

1|0
    0|0
  • No it's not a requirement... but I definitely want to teach him. Cauz when both partner cook together it feels so romantic.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most all people can cook of nothing else out of nessissity.
    Very few can cook well.
    I recommend cooking classes for the partner that enjoys cooking
    And hand the other a dish rag and some 409

1|0
    0|1
  • It's not a deal breaker if he could hire a chef, afford eating out everyday for the both of us and the future kids, or he has a disability that renders him unable to do so. :)

And yes, I believe it is one way to someone's heart.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not at all~ I actually really like cooking, It's actually my job :P
    I'm happy to teach him how to and we can cook together :) He has mentioned though when we live together he would like to learn to cook for me!

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I only want to date adults who can take care of themselves. Knowing how to cook is a basic skill.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don’t want to do all the housework and cooking. My last ex was a man child and I did EVERYTHING. Not having that again. Relationships are 50/50. I ain’t anyone’s mama. Until a baby appears in my womb. I’m their parent but that is ALL

1|0
    0|0
  • Naa you are as good with cooking as me... i only know how to do frozen pizza and i can cut salad :D... but jeah i can't cook at all...

SOlution: My boyfriend is a quit good cook :D... so jeah... we share the effort :D

1|0
    0|0
  • nopeeeee he can be a shitty cook or a masterchef but i wouldn't choose him based on cooking abilities... i would rather choose him for his personality than anything else

1|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend can cook really well but I found that out after we started dating. It never came up in my mind. As long as ik how to get food myself, I’m fine but it’s nice when my bae makes stuff especially for me 😊

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not a requirement, but it's a plus if he knows how to cook.
    And if he is a good cook he has an high chance of finding his way to my heart. I love eating!!

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a requirement for every adult regardless of gender if he/she wants to be taken seriously. That's a crucial life skill.

1|0
    0|0
  • I enjoy cooking, so no it would not be a deal breaker for me, as long as they enjoy the food I make. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it would be nice if he knew how to cook. I can't cook either so.. yeah. I would be willing to learn though so we could take turns

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as one of us know how to cook then its cool you know thay way we aren't getting take out or freezer, boxed dinners/food every night. It wouldn't be a deal breaker I know how to cook and have no issue with cooking for my guy and making sure he has everything he would need. Plus I could teach him. Its a compromise he may know things I dont know how to do and I may know things he doesn't. So as a couple we would learn and grow together so I dont see that as a deal breaker. A deal breaker would be if he just refused to do much. Lol like if he knew how to cook and felt like I should be doing all the cooking cause he's the dude or he doesn't want to then that is a no.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't cook, but I can bake. I just need someone to work the oven for me. 😂
    I actually forgot about my awesome baking skills.

I can only cook scrambled eggs.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can cook, I'm happy with cooking, so I don't mind if my partner doesn't.

1|1
    0|0
  • My partner can’t cook for shit - he gets confused putting a pre made pizza in the oven and boiling water 😂 so no definitely not a requirement

1|1
    0|0
  • I don’t think personally it’s a dealbreaker if my partner doesn’t exactly know how to cook. If we wanted, we could try learning together by getting ingredients, have the book, the recipe we may want to try and do it together. It’s nice and can be fun when your able to do and learn some things together. 🙂 at least that’s how I personally see it lols. I’m not big on cooking myself, but i do practice and some things turn out from alright-great. Who knows, maybe your on a budget and want to have food that could last you for a good week or a few days 😋

1|0
    0|0
  • No it is not a requirement because you can follow a recipe

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is. It's not that hard. Just put some stuff in the pan and cook it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I hope so lololol too broke to eat out all the time lol

1|0
    0|0
  • If they don't know how to take care of themselves, it's an issue.

1|0
    0|0
  • No..
    I don't know how to cook because of how I was raised but my boyfriend is teaching me

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes