When to plant and harvest fruit and vegetables?

This is probably the weirdest question on here, but I'm writing a book and my characters are a self-sustaining community. I need to know what seasons to plant certain fruits and vegetables and when you would harvest them, preferably ones that are common.
I've tried to look this up but can't find anything. I don't know if the country has anything to do with it but it's based in Australia where I live.
Updates:
Does it matter when you plant them?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• I've been to Australia but was only in Victoria, NSW and Queensland. Not sure the of the exact seasons and the best seasonal crops there but here in Canada, in southern Ontario we would start some plants indoors from seed in the latter part of our winter (mid February to mid March). There are some hardy crops we can plant as soon as the soil is dry enough to work (mid March to mid April) such as spinach, peas, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrabi, lettuce, kale and chives. These plants would usually be direct seeded into the garden soil. The more tender plants we'd wait until after our last frost date which for me is around May 24th. Then we'd plant tomatoes, corn, carrots, parsnips. beans, cucumber, zucchini, summer squash and winter squash, corn, peppers (different varieties such as hot and sweet). They all have different harvest times even the same veggie can be different such as corn or tomatoes as there are early season varieties and main season varieties. Some veggies have a growing time of 50 to 65 days others such as winter squash have growing time of 100 to 120 days. I also have some perennial plants that come up on there own every year such as asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries and garlic. Most fruits and veggies are harvested after they ripen on the vine or tree. I have an apple tree and a pear tree, pears are the exception to the rule and must be picked just before they ripen or they are just kind of mushy and will fall from the tree, so we pick them early and allow them to ripen after picking. I hope this helps. Contact me if you want to discuss further!

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks a lot, that’s very helpful! I will if needed, thanks ☺️

• Thank you Daisy for the Xper point, feel free to contact me anytime. Not sure if it helps with Australian crops.

• No problem lol I’m sure it still applies

What Girls Said 1

• This is probably not helpful at all but I've just planted carrots, cos lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, sweet peas, basil, coriander, aloe vera and chamomile and they all seem to be doing great but the coriander and basil. They have the least amount of progress but are very slowly growing. I'd say the strawberries and tomatoes are doing the best with the most amount of progress.

I'm also in Australia.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes