My roommate, Vanessa, thinks tipping your waiter is unnecessary. What do you think?

• Vanessa is correct, even though she's a needlessly frugal yuppie.
    Vote A
  • Maybe if the service was poor, but really, who would want to be Vanessa's waiter in the first place?
    Vote B
  • Tip your fucking waiter, Vanessa. I will end you the next time I see that frail liberal arts hand of yours leave exact change. They'll never find your body.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Would make a horrible girlfriend.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell her to start waitressing for awhile and then find out if she still feels the same

1|0
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• If a waiter, at some point, quits, that means they have one last customer. For all you know that waiter put in his notice yesterday and is flying halfway across the world to attend school in Europe. And you're his last customer.

Think about that the next time you don't tip or are rude to a waiter (moreso rudeness, unless she makes it clear in advance she isn't tipping). You may be their very last customer.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is because the burden of filling the wage gap is left on the consumer instead of the employer where it should be to begin with

I can totally understand her. 20% of your meal on top of tax makes it almost 1/3 on top of the price of the meal

Tax is enough

2|1
    0|0
    • @your_ego ya like they want us to cover their employee wages... gtfo lol... cover your own employees... you hired them, you make profits based on your resto and you need servers... you pay them

and if not I can grab my plate of food from the chefs table myself and you can leave water bottles in the fridge, ill grab them myself...
      lol

• @your_ego like how do you justify giving her more tip because she carried a more expensive piece of lamb... vs carrying a plate of fries...

like she's just carrying the plate regardless... yet the rack of lamb tip is like 10 bucks min...

• Depends on where you live but if it's in America you're basically stealing from the server. Servers already get paid below minimum wage because tips should make up the difference. Servers tip out their support staff whether they get tipped or not. They pay out b asked on a percentage of their sales. It's usually around 5% so if you have a $100 and leave no tip, the server still has to pay out $5 to the bartender and busser. The server just paid money to wait on you.

0|0
    0|0
    • its not stealing because tipping isn't a law.. its a policy... you get jailed or charged for not tipping but you get charged for taking someone's money without permission...

• Show All
    • Tips are just bad for everyone... except the owner
      now... with tips... servers get paid a lot more than min wage... a lot more...

problem is the chefs don't get paid nearly as much... I mean a server gets paid more than a chef? ... kinda seems a little iffy...

I don't think tip is bad... I think 20% and it seems to be coming close to 25% lately is way too much...
      5%-10% is fine... and that gives the server more than min wage probably and everyone is happy

• I mean... at 15-20 and even 25... servers again are going home with huge tips... thats an unfair distribution of wealth...
      now their wage is effectively in the ball park of like 20$ or more even...
      no!.. our job, if we must, if to cover the gap up to min wage...

5-10% seems right

• Tipping is bullshit, but I do it anyway. Some people live on tips. Then again, why the hell do I have to be responsible for paying their salary. It's the restaurants responsibility to pay their workers an honest wage, not mine. Then waiters get butt hurt over tips. Yeah... I'm salty... got damn it!

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of my immediate family either are or have been waiters/waitresses, where i live (not sure about where you live) waitresses can be paid less than half of the state minimum wage per hour (as long as their tips make up the difference), because their employers expect customers to tip.

In short, if you dont tip, your waitress will make minimum wage regardless of experience or skill.

0|0
    0|0
  • Totally unrelated, but I always love your poll options hahaha

1|0
    0|0
  • if you plan on going back, it's a good idea.. but i'd rather waiters get paid appropriately by their employers, and strive to excel at their work out of the goodness of their hearts.

0|1
    0|0
  • Without tips. most servers (in America) make far less than minimum wage. It's fine to grouse about restaurants not paying their servers fairly, but the reality of the situation is that you, as a customer, are expected to make up the difference with a tip, which is generally around 20% of the meal price.

If you feel that this expectation is unreasonable, or in some other way offensive, then don't eat at restaurants that expect this.

If servers were not tipped, then the restaurants would have to raise their wages, which would mean the price of the meals they served would go up. In the long term, that might be good, but in the short term, you're ripping your server off, and paying them less than they deserve for their service.

Tell Vanessa that a 20% tip is very reasonable. That's probably about how much extra she would have to pay for her meal, if servers were fairly compensated.

TL;DR Not tipping your server is a d**k move.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ask her if she tastes the spit in her food or drink.

1|0
    0|0
  • this is what happens when labor movements
    get out of hand

0|0
    0|0
  • I realize that the minimum wage in the US is pitifully low, but the minimum wage is what an employer lawfully has to pay an employee. In Canada, where I am in the province of Ontario, the minimum wage is $14.00/hr. On principle I agree with Vanessa. If the restaurant owners were law abiding and paid their servers properly instead of expecting us to pay exorbitant prices for our food and then expecting us to pay their serving staff as well, there would and should not be a policy that expects us to tip 20% of the $175.00 meal we just ate. Now a different matter would be if the server provided excellent service and went above and beyond the call of duty, then it should be my prerogative to tip that server because I want to not because I'm expected too!

0|0
    0|0
  • How is it she things they are paid? They need the tips.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your roommate is 🤔...
    I don't know hippie or something?

0|0
    0|0
  • She needs to go be waitress for a night

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if the service was bad. Otherwise, why not? They put up with a lot of crap daily. Give them a reason to smile.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some waiters make more than I do. I don't feel good about throwing money at them just because they did their job. I will usually give a few dollars tip but nothing too high.

0|1
    0|0
    • Exactly lol
      I knew a dude as a waiter coming home every night with at least 100 tips. Thats 500 in a week. And sometimes 200 a day
      All on top of his pay check

Im basically giving him my money so he can go home with a 100-200 a day on tips

• “..., Vanessa.” i love it 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • Tipping are for countries that inadequately pay their employees, thus making this culture of making working people seem like beggers. Pay your fucking employees America.

1|2
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• We don’t really tip in Australia, waiters are paid a fair salary that’s factored into the cost of the food. If someone gives exceptional service people will tip, but only in higher end establishments.

In America, just tip the damn waiter. Until their culture catches up with fair employee standards that’s what they need to live on

1|1
    0|0
  • The only time I don't tip is if the service by the Waiter/Waitress is excessively purposely bad. If the service was not great I'll leave a lesser top figuring bad day not the norm. But if they are obviously doing a horrible job or it's bad service Everytime then No Tip for Wait Staff!!! Tell Vanessa to live one day in a Restaurant Server's shoes...

0|1
    0|0
  • Waiters make shit money in my city. Minimum wage was raised for everyone but waitstaff and students. Tip your fucking waiter, Vanessa!

0|0
    0|0
  • I always tip because I know that where I am, they are generally paid way less than minimum wage by the restaurant, because the restaurant expects the customers to make up the rest. Nobody should have to tip at all, though. Tipping should be unnecessary, but until restaurants loosen their purse strings and pay minimum wage, it will always exist.

I hate the whole idea of tipping because these restaurants get away with paying less than minimum wage. Many of them also get a cut of the tips or they take the whole tip and split it between all the employees, even the ones who offered shit service. I always tip in cash, because then they can't trace it. I just hope that there's no common tip jar that they're forced to put the money into at the end of their shift.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think I wouldn't be going out with vanessa. Because not tipping is super rude.

0|0
    0|0
  • She’s right though...

0|0
    0|0
  • I only tip if the service is outstanding.

1|1
    3|2

Recommended myTakes