I’ve never had Indian food and want to try it. what do you recommend?

1985

Most Helpful Guys

• I would recommend vegetable briyani (probably spelled wrong. It's just a seasoned vegetable and rice dish. You've likely eaten everything in it before, just in different ways. Not to spicy, so a good way to be introduced to the flavor).
    And also butter chicken (chicken in a rich curry sauce that has cream and butter in it. Start mild, you can always get it hotter. Considered one of the best curries to introduce people to)

Indian food is not as scary and much more approachable than you'd expect. Much of it is ingredients you've had before, just prepared differently and mixed with other things you've had before, but never mixed.
    There are a lot of vegetarian options. Indian cheese (paneer) is often called "Indian cottage cheese," but if you don't like cottage cheese, don't worry, it really is nothing like that, in texture or flavor.
    Most dishes you can get very mild, but if you like hot, I'd still advise you try medium first.

Oh, am appetizer, called simosas, which is seasoned potatoes (and onion?) In a little triangle shaped pastry, that's been fried, tastes wonderful.

Lastly, tandoori chicken. It's pieces of chicken cooked with a coating of tandoori seasoning. Juicy and tasty.

• Biryani (spicy)
    Nihari (spicy)
    Tikka (if you or someone you know wants to go on a diet, this the THE best diet food and this is NOT the British Chicken Tikka Masala)
    Charge (also a good diet food but more difficult)
    Pulao (a more mild version of biryani)
    Bihari boti
    Actual chai (tea)
    Chicken 365(it is spicy)

Snacks:
    Samosa (chicken in Pakistani restaurant, vegetarian in Indian)
    Chat
    Pani Puri

Some restaurants in US:
    Detroit- Nihari Caffe
    Chicago-Usmania, bonus Tahoora bakery
    Orlando-Kabab King
    New York-Dera

Vegetarian stuff is generally better in South-Indian restaurants meat based stuff is much better in Pakistani and sometimes Punjabi ones.

Feel free to send me a message if you are looking for something specific or recipie for a very easy to cook Tikka.

Most Helpful Girls

• Oh do try it! It's good
    Depends on your tastes really, there are so many dishes with completely different tastes... I started with a tikka Masala and I was hooked, mildly sweet and spicy with fresh chunks of chicken or veggie is good too
    If you like curries try a korma
    But definitely explore the different flavours

• I like butter chicken and biryani a lot but if I go to a restaurant and they have other things on their menu I will order the other stuff just cause I like to sample other foods. The indian restaurant booth at my school only served 3-4 different indian dishes every day - and 1 butter chicken and 1 was biryani. I loved them both!